Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PayPal Chargeback filed after 110 days?

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
I just was notified by PayPal that a claim has been filed for an electronic device I sold on 5/20. The buyer (0 feedback go figure) had contacted me last week saying they couldn't get it to work and gave me some excuse about how they hadn't tried to use it until now. I figured since it had been so long I wasn't obligated to offer a refund so I told them politely that they were out of luck. Now it appears that they filed a chargeback on with their credit card.

My question is this.....Do I have any chance at winning this claim since it has been over 3 months or am I out the device and the money?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Is the money gone from your PP account yet? If not, drain that sucker and start over (depending on how much we're talking about).

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Same thing happened to me on an iPhone 4 I sold. Except I actually spent hours on the phone with buyer and Sprint to get it working. Long story short, buyer ended up with a free iphone 4 but because I shipped through PP I was coveted and Paypal gave me the $400.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Wont they just take from your backup funding? C.C. on file etc.

Not if you remove that info as well. And you can always fight that then with YOUR CC company.

What I do actually, is i just load my debit card number in place of a CC number. That way, if you remove one, you remove both.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
The only reason listed on the dispute is "Merchandise". It doesn't look like the buyer filed a claim with PayPal it appears they filed a charge back on their credit card and the credit card company filed a claim with PayPal.

I never keep any money in my account so right now it's just showing as a negative balance. I tried deleting my account information but it must not let you if there is a claim in process. It's only $50 so it's not the end of the world if I lose but it is annoying that I can't move on from a sale that was almost 4 months ago.

Last edited:

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
I was pretty sure that if the credit card files a charge back with paypal cus of the moron who bought it
after this long, paypal just fights it out with the CC company without you being involved, but they wouldnt
have took your 50 bucks. Seems if you provide tracking, you should come out on top. Paypal may
have of course changed their stance so that anyone anytime can just pull a shimmy sham.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Also, as far as I know, once a dispute is opened/active you can not change or remove any banking/CC info until resolved...

phalm

Feb 27, 2009
Sorry to say but if they claim unauthorized use?you will lose even with tracking

I LOST WITH TRACKING AND THE FEEDBACK SAYING THANKS FOR CARDS

FILED AFTER 90 DAYS

Members online

Latest posts