Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Probability of winning NBA title based on win total - Interesting chart!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I thought this was a pretty cool and interesting chart which reflects the probability of winning and NBA title based on regular-season win total.

You'd think winning 50 or even 60 games during the regular season and your team would have a pretty awesome shot at winning it all but not so fast... check out this chart which has % on the Y-axis and # of wins (+ / - 2) along the X-axis. I think they used the + or - to help smooth it out.

Your thoughts?

silver-feature-lebron-chart1.png

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Depends on the Conference strength, heck, Phoenix won 48 games last year and missed the Playoffs. They'd have been the #4 seed in the East.

The NBA still comes down to who has the best player and more recently players. And there was alot of good teams denied Titles by Bird and Magic and later by MJ, Hakeem and the Spurs, either in their own conference or in the West.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Depends on the Conference strength, heck, Phoenix won 48 games last year and missed the Playoffs. They'd have been the #4 seed in the East.

The NBA still comes down to who has the best player and more recently players. And there was alot of good teams denied Titles by Bird and Magic and later by MJ, Hakeem and the Spurs, either in their own conference or in the West.
Yea but I think what it's saying is winning between 50 and 55 games isn't really as incremental as winning more than 60 but then it really jumps up every game you win over 60... I think it's pretty impressive to see because you sometimes get lost in thinking that if a team wins 50 games or 55, that they're on their way but really their % historically isn't a lock by any means.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts