Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Probstein on eBay. Some love him, some hate him, but consider this when selling…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
As a major eBay consigner, Probstein gets major traffic and often gets a premium price for his listings. Many have even stated that they believe auctions are shilled. I suppose that is possible with any consignment seller, as they couldn’t possible monitor all of the bids at the volume he sells at.

Has anyone really paid attention to the descriptions though? I spotted this one and was going to share it immediately, then I thought better and decided to see if I could win it. I held my tongue and it ended tonight.

The sheet did come with a PSA letter, so if you were paying attention, you could see who was included. However, check out the auction description.

You may not immediately see what I saw and maybe you do, but it would be a hard argument to win to suggest that not listing every player on this sheet in the description was a good idea!!! They highlight the 2 Hall of Famers (but missed Billy Herman) and then the rest of the players get a nifty +10...Oops!

They missed the "key" autograph in my opinion. Clearly not from a player skills perspective, but rather an autograph perspective. Don Hoak died of a heart attack in 1969 at the age of 41. As far as deaths go though, this one has a bit of an interesting story to go with it. look it up if you have not heard the story.

Edit: My point, which I forgot to add clearly before, is that as a seller, I would expect a bit more effort into the listing despite their following and exposure. I think this items sells for much more had they done so. If it were mine, i'd be upset that Hoak was not mentioned. Herman (HOF) (d. 92), Grimm (d. 83) Palica (d. 82) and Walker (d. 92) are decent autograph pick ups as well. The rest I could have lived with the + notation for.

8D722A29-2F5E-4C4C-A519-8BE4F143BBB0.pngF81C27C0-0D73-42A9-8C2F-CB87B157A60B.pngE3690B88-FD4E-4DA4-B45E-60DF66FEBBE8.png

Last edited:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Probstein eBay listings are a complete joke and I would never, ever consider consigning with them. I don't understand why eBay does not require all card sellers to list physical pictures of the fronts AND BACKS of all cards. The front of the card is 50 percent of the product. Why not remove all doubt? Probstein is notorious for only listing the front image of absolutely huge cards. Their listings are lazy and often leave money on the table.

Big congrats on your auction win! Don Hoak is a great auto and your new piece is just fantastic.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I frequently send him cards to list. I do quiet well and believe bid amount are a result of his following.

I do believe that they fall extremely flat when it comes to titles. I make it a practice to send them the titles as I want to see them listed. I failed to do this once and the result was less than desirable when my listings closed.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I've only bought one card from his auctions. And only sold anything with him once. It was a Topps hockey vending box. Two buyers got in a small bidding war. I had no problems or issues.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I've only bought one card from his auctions. And only sold anything with him once. It was a Topps hockey vending box. Two buyers got in a small bidding war. I had no problems or issues.
...and the two buyers in the bidding war were you and the guy who ended up winning? ;) Sounds like a classic Probstein auction!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Probstein eBay listings are a complete joke and I would never, ever consider consigning with them. I don't understand why eBay does not require all card sellers to list physical pictures of the fronts AND BACKS of all cards. The front of the card is 50 percent of the product. Why not remove all doubt? Probstein is notorious for only listing the front image of absolutely huge cards. Their listings are lazy and often leave money on the table.

Big congrats on your auction win! Don Hoak is a great auto and your new piece is just fantastic.
Interesting that you say that. I just bid on (and lost) a 1952 Bowman Rizzuto that was listed by them and said to be in poor condition. However, the card looked really decent. No major flaws that I could see. There was NO back image, which means the card could have been peeled from a scrapbook and no back remains and the listing would have been true still. it was too late to ask, so I bid conservatively. If the back is as good as the front, someone got a nice deal for around $25 delivered!

s-l1600.jpg

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
When I buy from them, I set my snipe.. If it goes over my set snipe, oh well.. I will only bid $X on cards and I don't get into bidding wars because they tend to get under your skin and you bid more than you wanted to..

Gixen is my sniper.. :)