Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospectors - Is Zach McKinstry someone to chase for "investment"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
He appeared in 4 games for the 2020 Dodgers, so I need him for my autograph collection. Topps happened to put out a signature card that looks like 86 Topps. I kind of like it and was excited to get one and knockout 1 of 3 LA Dodger needs still (Betts and Victor Gonzalez, if anyone can help with the latter), but the prices have been RIDICULOUS! Seriously, who is spending $30+ for this guy? Is this something I potentially will regret because I think it should be under $10?

I am getting more and more frustrated by the card world as each year passes. The fun is nearly gone. It seems like everything new that I like and have interest in is on the "hot" list, except for maybe poor Al Oliver! I am not a trendy collector, but it sure seems like anything new I could possibly want is going to cost me dearly.

I lost a /25 and it ended at $34. Yet there is this guy...???

s-l500.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Some of the 2021 Topps stuff is going crazy for no reason. The History of Topps "Garbage Pail Kids Introduced" is a $30 card right now, for a basic insert set that isn't hard to pull. Some of the base SPs (not even the SSPs!) are going for triple digits, and the Trout mask SP is a $500+ card.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
No, he's got zero heat prospectwise but people always go nuts for Topps S1 stuff. New season, new names, people with pent-up demand after a couple months of lackluster releases, plus he's a WS-Winning Dodger even if he didn't play in it, then throw in the craziness of the market for the past year. While people figure out where prices will settle, there are bound to be quite a few outliers.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
You'd be better off trying to get Michael Busch instead if you can get a good price. All the prospect guys are saying good things about his 2020 and I believe he's been compared to Max Muncy.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I picked up a few Busch cards. Generally speaking, I am happy with 1 of each of the untested players, unless a sweet design comes up. I will buy multiple star/semi star players when the prices are good. My primary goal is 1 Dodger certified card of any player who had one. After that, I'll take non-Dodger certified and Dodger IP/TTM. Lastly, non-Dodger IM/TTM or cuts.

McKinstry is cooling some after a few weeks (supply starting to overpower demand most likely), but I fear not enough before the new rip supply dies off and I have to wait for someone later on who sells or the infrequent pull from an old product. Perhaps he'll have other auto cards. All the fools willing to overpay for immediate gratification (or flip potential) can get their copies now and then hopefully I can buy one at a reasonable price.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This has gotten beyond stupid! Who the holy F#&k are buying these cards? 20 watchers? SHEEP!

By the way, apparently the card i started this thread with sold for $250??? Maybe it was a BIN for significantly less, but who knows. Things have gotten weird. I'll probably get his autograph for a few bucks in a few years after he fizzles out.

Last edited:

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
perhaps it's people reading these articles ??

2020 Dodgers in review: Zach McKinstry
370 comments

Expect a bigger role from the rookie in 2021

By BlakeHarris@BlakeHarrisTBLA Dec 5, 2020, 6:12am PST

Share this story

Los Angeles Angels v Los Angeles Dodgers
Photo by Norm Hall/Getty Images
Though he isn’t one of the top prospects in the Dodgers’ farm system, you could make the case nobody has impressed more over the last few years than Zach McKinstry. Originally a 33rd round pick in the 2016 MLB Draft, McKinstry has quickly shot up through LA’s system, earning a spot on the Dodgers’ 40-man roster.
McKinstry was a name Dodgers fans were familiar with, but he really became well-known after his incredible Spring Training back in March. He was the best hitter for the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch in early 2020, as he hit .414/.452/.862/1.314 in 14 games. He also added three homers, two doubles and seven runs driven in.

Dodgers Spring Training Rookie Standouts: DJ Peters, Zach McKinstry and More Names to Know
Zach McKinstry

The top choice to replace Kiké Hernandez is off to a good start. He has four hits in ten at-bats while starting at second base, shortstop, and center field. So far, he has only helped make the case for an Opening Day roster spot.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I guess time will tell. New cards are crazy business now days!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks to @Dazed, I am no longer seeking a Zach McKinstry autograph to complete my LA Dodgers collection. He pulled one out of a new product (Tier One, I believe) and generously gave it to me, despite the fact that most of his autographs were selling from the $30-$100+ range still. I have been watching sales for several months now and I am convinced that everyone buying him is absolutely CRAZY! Prices seemed to decline somewhat as of late, then I see something like his basic Donruss card sell for $50 today. Seriously, what are people seeing? Is this how FOMO drives us to do stupid things? I don't get it.

This is your $50+ autograph player people...a 26 year old non-starting utility infielder hitting .243 with the Dodgers. Look at Matt Beaty, with similar yet slightly better stats and where is his love? Actually, maybe I should not say that. Might start a Matt Beaty crazy run...

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 11.48.43 AM.png

To anyone who eventually wants to dump a Topps auto when the bottom completely falls out, let me know. I still want this card, because frankly it is a great looking one. Always liked the 86 Topps set. These base cards are still selling for $100+ every time. The owner of the black border (/199) is asking $625 OBO. The owner of the gold (/50) wants $600 OBO and the red (/25) is sitting at an asking price of $1800 BIN. Clearly I don't get it, but when these are $10-20 autos again, I am a buyer for one of each color. I am OK if the market eventually proves me wrong, but in 5-10 years from now, odds are good these will be junk autos nobody cares about.

Amazing if you recall when I first posted about these in Mid February, I was whining because I was losing several of the red versions when they topped $35!!

s-l500.jpgs-l1600-1.jpgs-l500-1.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Jan 14, 2009
Even Beaty has had a slight increase. I tried to start a small collection of his tougher cards and often get outbid.

This is after being mostly priced out of collecting Muncy the last three+ years with very little competition.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have noticed a spike in just about all Dodger autos. Seems like a lot of bandwagon jumpers! I expect things will settle eventually. They always do. I saw a Muncy auto listing that had 20+ watchers and it wasn't even anything unique.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
I got him before he made it to the majors on my personal photo of him

Edit: I should start selling photos of Dodgers minor league players and prospects due to demand of it

Attachments

• IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Well, I told you so! if it wasn't COMC, I might buy it at that price. The other seller is just nuts!

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 7.46.42 PM.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Look on eBay for the card to see if COMC has it listed at that price. You’ll get it sooner!
True, but you'll also pay more as well.

This is just proof that people have finally started to move on and the inflated prices these cards were bringing just 6-8 months ago have left a lot of people holding yet another bag of stinking turd! I have a McKinstry auto now so I am good. I like that design and would like to add one, but it is no longer for a vacancy in my collection, so I can take my time. Most of the newer regular cards can be had for under $10, where they should be priced.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Well, it took just under 1 year, but I finally nabbed my McKinstry for a price I could live with and the saga ends. It was the base card and I got it for about $16 delivered. Still a bit more than I would have liked to pay and 10-11 months later as well, but I am fairly patient when it comes to this crap. I think I probably could have done better if I had just waited even longer. I suppose, eventually this could even be a $2-3 card. I am still interested in some of the parallels if they come around at a decent price, just because I like the design. McKinstry autos flooded the market in 2021, so even if he does something, there are plenty to go around now.

mCkINSTRY 86t.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Figured I'd update this one, in case anyone has a gold they are ready to part with! Always a gamble to talk smack about future prices, but this felt too easy not to be able to be right about. I was right!

Seems I was a little too earger to grab that first one if I paid $16 for the base! I landed another not long ago for about $4. I also just received the red /25 today that set me back about $10 plus s/h.

The gold /50 is the last piece to my 2021 puzzle. Hoping to land one eventually for under $10. McKinstry 25.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had to revive this once again, because I saw another red /25 listed. I won it for $6.59 + s/h. Screen Shot 2023-10-26 at 7.49.10 PM.png

Then there is this seller...I still need a gold, but I'm not paying more than $10 for one. if one never shows up in that range, I will go without. Some people...Screen Shot 2023-10-26 at 7.46.00 PM.png

Members online

Latest posts