Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rolling Fact of the Day thread

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I’ve been coming across a lot of random facts lately and writing down the ones I find interesting...I figured I’d start sharing one a day here, Cuz, well, why not...

So to kick this off...

Captain Crunch’s actual name is Horatio Magellan Crunch (captain is his rank).

And his ship is the S.S. Guppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Your fact for today, January 13th:

In Switzerland, it is illegal to own only one guinea pig.

(This is because Guinea pigs are social animals, and keeping one alone would be considered animal cruelty)

Last edited:

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Your fact for today, January 14th, Baseball related, Cuz that seems appropriate for this site:

One player was was on deck for both Hank Aaron and Sadaharu Oh’s 715th home runs....

That player was Davey Johnson.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
That's a good one. Here's another one about people being nearby to history...

The first out in Nolan Ryan's first no-hitter was a putout made by 2B Sandy Alomar.
The final out in Nolan Ryan's final no-hitter was a strikeout of 2B Roberto Alomar.

Your fact for today, January 14th, Baseball related, Cuz that seems appropriate for this site:

One player was was on deck for both Hank Aaron and Sadaharu Oh’s 715th home runs....

That player was Davey Johnson.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Oh man, i missed three days already, I’m slacking...

Your fact for two days ago, aka the day before yesterday....which is represented by the word - nudiustertian : of or relating to the day before yesterday (see what I did there?! Lol)

Your fact for yesterday January 16th, besides the fact that it was my moms birthday...

The nonsense characters that stand in for swear words in cartoons (aka [email protected]#*?!*) are know as grawlix.

And finally, your fact for today, January 17th...

Detroit’s Woodward Avenue (designated as State Highway 1) was the first paved road in the US.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Now on with the good stuff...and I think this one is pretty interesting

Your fact of the day for today January 18th...

Jockey Frank Hayes suffered a fatal heart attack and died midrace in 1923, at Belmont Race Track on Long Island. His body remained on his horse, Sweet Kiss, and crossed the finish line in 1st place. The only time (as far as I could find) in sports history that a deceased person won a competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston
I read a little bit more about him. He had never won a race before. And the horse was given the nick name “Sweet Kiss of Death” the rest of her life. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. :grin:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
More paved road trivia: the last section of the originally-planned US Interstate Highway system to be completed was Glenwood Canyon in Colorado, in 1992.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Nice adds guys...

Your fact of the day today, January 19th, and because it is currently snowing here, is to actually dispel the fact that no two snowflakes are the same, that is actually a myth, and two of the same snowflakes have been witnessed before...but if you need more than that, a snowflake fact is that they always have six sides

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Good one. Snowflakes are incredible. If you have never seen snowflake photos by this guy Kenneth Libbrecht, check this out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sno...fAhWrsaQKHXKTAdAQsAR6BAgDEAE&biw=1536&bih=793

Nice adds guys...

Your fact of the day today, January 19th, and because it is currently snowing here, is to actually dispel the fact that no two snowflakes are the same, that is actually a myth, and two of the same snowflakes have been witnessed before...but if you need more than that, a snowflake fact is that they always have six sides

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Man, those pictures are crazy

And your fact of the day for January 20th... since it’s so damn cold out...

The alpine weta (a New Zealand native bug) freezes solid in the winter when the temperature drops. Then, when the temps rise again, the bug unfreezes, thaws out and resumes it’s life.

Latest posts