Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rolling Fact of the Day thread

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Wow, kinda forgot about this while I was on vacation and now it’s big time catch up time...

Your Fact of the day for July 22...

The first star to be dedicated on the historic Hollywood Walk of Fame belonged to the actress Joanne Woodward, an Academy Award winner for The Three Faces of Eve (1957).

Your Fact of the day for July 23rd...

First used in 1366, the Stella Artois Star is considered to be the oldest logo still in use.

Your Fact of the day for July 24th...

Adult cats only meow at humans, not other cats.

Your Fact of the day for July 25th...

Norway once knighted a penguin. In 1972 lieutenant Nils Egelien chose a penguin living at Scotland’s Edinburg Zoo to be the mascot of the Kings Guard.

Your Fact of the day for July 26th...

According to a study by Halfords Autocentres in Britain in 2014, if you sneeze while driving at 60mph, your eyes are closed for approximately 50 feet.

Your Fact of the day for July 27th...

Santa Claus has an official app pilots license, given in 1927, by assistant secretary of commerce for aeronautics, William McCracken.

Your Fact of the day for July 28th...

The US experiences an estimated 100,000 thunderstorms each year. However, overall, there are around 16 million thunderstorms annually on Earth, which breaks down to about 2,000 thunderstorms at all times, according to NASA.

Your Fact of the day for July 29th...

Portland, Oregon is actually named after Portland, Maine.

Your Fact of the day for July 30th...

The 1st college fraternity was founded at the college of William and Mary in 1776.

Your Fact of the day for July 31st...

The 1st gas station in the US opened in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1913.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Yay we made it to August...

Your Fact of the day for August 1st...

New York was the first state to require license plates on cars.

Your Fact of the day for August 2nd...

Sam Houston is the only American to be elected governor of two different states. He was the 6th governor of Tennessee from 1827-1829 and the 7th governor of Texas from 1859-1861. He was also the first elected president of the Republic of Texas in 1836 and served as a senator after Texas became a state in 1845.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Your Fact of the day for August 3rd...

Tony Thomas, of the Southern Maryland BlueCrabs, became the 1st player in baseball history to steal first base in a game against the Lancaster Barnstormers. The rule states “Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a Batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.” So when Alejandro Chacin’s 0-1 pitch went to the backstop, it became a live ball, giving Thomas the opportunity to dash to first. Per the official scoring sheet, Thomas actually wasn’t even credited for a steal, since it was recorded as a fielders choice because of the ability for the catcher to make a throw.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Your Fact Of the day for August 4th...

Johnny Appleseed’s apples weren’t meant to be eaten, they were much more bitter than regular apples and actually were intended to be made into hard cider.

Your Fact of the day for August 5th...

The reason Christmas is called Xmas is because of the Greeks. In Greek the word for Christ starts with with the letter Chi, which looks like an X in the Roman alphabet.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston

The first license plates were made out of leather with metal numbers.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly, PA

The first license plates were made out of leather with metal numbers.
Early, all black license plates that were issued in Delaware are transferable so families keep them for decades and the lower the number the better. Very early ones show up for auction once in a while and go for crazy high prices.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Your Fact of the day for August 8th...

Besides everything else weird about platypuses (is that the pluralization?) they also don’t have stomachs.

Your Fact of the day for August 9th...

There’s an apartment inside the Eiffel Tower. Although no ones ever lived there, Gustave Eiffel, the towers designer, used the special space to entertain distinguished guests, such as Thomas Edison.

Your Fact of the day for August 10th...

The word SWIMS is still SWIMS when turned upside down.

And your fact of the day for today, August 11th...

According to Alaska’s official state website, you can fit 425 Rhode Island’s into Alaska.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly, PA
IF you wanna see some insane baseball stats, look up the Yankees record vs. Orioles. And HRs hit by NYY. Especially Torres.

Tons of records broken, most vs. one team since expansion, by team and player. With two games left...

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Your Fact of the day for August 12th...

LEGO has an underground vault, called Lego’s Memory Lane Vault, which reportedly contains one of every set ever made.

Your Fact of the day for today, August 13th...

Today is International Left Handers Day and although people believed that left handers had shorter lifespans than their righty counterparts, that has been disproven. Happy LeftHanders Day to all my lefty brethren.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Your fact of the day for August 14th...

The US Mint first released pennies into circulation in March of 1793. There were 11,178 coins, or just $111.78 in sum.

Your Fact of the day for today August 15th...

Lincoln was the first real human, as opposed to a fictitious person or animal, on regular issued coinage. Furthermore, despite being the 16th president, he was the 1st president to be on a coin.

Continuing off of these, and since we are close enough....

Your Fact of the day for August 16th...

The original penny was about the size of today’s half dollar and featured a fictitious female, Miss Liberty, on them.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Your Fact of the day for August 17th...

Marie Curies notebooks are still radioactive, and will be for another 1,500 years, and because of this they are stored in a lead box.

And your Fact of the day for today, August 18th...

Blood banks in Sweden notify donors by text when their blood is used.

Members online

Latest posts