Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rolling Fact of the Day thread

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
National Trivia Day catch up post...

Your fact of the day for December 8th...

The first Hershey’s bars with almonds were produced in 1908 because they were cheaper to make. The nuts took the place of the more expensive milk chocolate and the price of the bars could stay at 5¢.

Your fact of the day for December 9th...

Despite the optical illusion, the Gateway Arch, in St. Louis, is exactly as wide as it is tall (630 feet).

Your fact of the day for December 10th...

Sphenopalatine ganglioneuraligia is the scientific term for brain freeze.

Your fact of the day for December 11th...

Forty is the only number whose letters are in alphabetical order.

Your fact of the day for December 12th...

The sum of all the numbers on a roulette wheel is 666.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
National trivia day catchup post...

Your fact of the day for December 13th...let’s start with the Christmas facts!

Jingle Bells was the first song played in space, on December 16th, 1965, by the crew of NASAs Gemini 6A space flight.

Your fact of the day for December 14th...

Since the Statue of Liberty was considered a holiday gift when France gave it to the United States in 1886, it’s officially the largest Christmas present in the world.

Your fact of the day for December 15th...

Thomas Edison and his friend, and business partner, Edward H. Johnson created the first strand of electric lights in 1880, which Edison hung outside his laboratory in Menlo Park during Christmas time. However, it was Johnson, who, in 1882, became the first to wrap a strand of hand-wired red, white and blue bulbs around a Christmas tree.

Your fact of the day for December 16th...

In parts of Eastern Europe it’s customary to keep a live fish in your bathtub in preparation for the Christmas feast.

Your fact of the day for December 17th...

Santa has his own zip code, set up by Canada, so all the letters have somewhere to go. The zip code is H0H0H0.

Your fact of the day for December 18th...

The tradition of sending Christmas cards started in 1843, when Victoria and Albert Museum founder Henry Cole had cards printed to send to friends as a time saving measure to answer all his mail around the holidays and the idea caught on.

Your fact of the day for December 19th...

President Benjamin Harrison brought the first Christmas tree to the White House in 1889. The first family placed the tree in the Second Floor Oval Room, which they used as a parlor and library.

Your fact of the day for December 20th...

Hallmark created its first Christmas cards in 1915.

Your fact of the day for December 21st...

Jingle Bells was written for Thanksgiving and it was originally titled “One Horse Open Sleigh”. Writer James Pierpont originally performed it at his church’s Thanksgiving Service in the mid nineteenth century. In 1859 it was republished as Jingle Bells.

Your fact of the day for December 22nd...

The first known candy cane was made in 1670, allegedly by a German choirmaster to help children endure lengthy nativity services. They were all white and supposedly modeled after shepherds canes.

Your fact of the day for December 23rd...

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was created by Montgomery Ward department store copy writer Robert L. May as a Christmas story the store could give away to shoppers as a promotional gimmick.

Your fact of the day for December 24th...

President Ulysses S. Grant signed a bill designating Christmas a legal holiday for federal employees in Washington DC in June 1870.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
National trivia day catch up post...

Your fact of the day for December 25th...

The first tree at Rockefeller Center went up in 1931. However it was a 20ft tree with no ornaments that was set up by construction workers who were laboring at the centers construction site. A second tree went up two years later, this time a 50 footer with lights, sparking the annual tradition.

Your fact of the day for December 26th...

Home Alone is the highest grossing Christmas movie of all time in the US, earning $285.76 million. It’s followed by 2000s How the Grinch Stole Christmas (260.04mil), 2018s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch (189.67mil) and 2004s The Polar Express (183.37mil).

Your fact of the day for December 27th...

According to Interflora, the original name for mistletoe was mistaltan, mistal from the AngloSaxon word for dung, and tan meaning stick, so technically mistletoe translates to “dung on a stick”.

Your fact of the day for December 28th, as we move toward New Years.

Times Square first hosted a New Years Eve Party in 1904 to celebrate Times Tower, the new headquarters of the New York Times. At midnight on January 1st the tower was lit with fireworks, but no dropping ball.

Your fact of the day for December 29th...

In 1907 a fireworks ban forced Times owner Alfred Ochs to rethink his mega successful New Years Eve celebration, so to substitute for the banned fireworks, Ochs ordered a lit 700 pound iron and wooden sphere to be manually lowered from atop the Times Tower flagpole at 11:59pm.

Your fact of the day for December 30th...

1942 and 1943 are the only years since 1907 that a Times Square ball drop didn’t happen due to a light “dim out” through New York City due to World War II.

Your fact of the day for December 31st...

From 1981 to 1988 the lights on the ball shined red and a green stem completed the Balls transformation into an apple in conjunction with New York City’s “I Love NY” campaign.

Your fact of the day for January 1st...

This years ball weighs 11,875 pounds and is covered in 2,688 Waterford crystal triangles.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Let’s get one full year of facts and push this at least to January 12th, when I started this last year...

Your fact of the day for January 2nd...

The oldest tavern in the US is the White Horse Tavern in Newport, Rhode Island. It opened in 1673.

Your fact of the day for January 3rd...

The first US vineyard and winery opened in 1799, in Kentucky. The aptly named, First Vineyard began operations in Lexington, making wine history in the US.

And your fact of the day for today, January 4th...Happy National Trivia Day...

In 1885, Niagara Falls State Park became the first state park established in the country. It was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, who also designed Central Park.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston
When ingested in large quantities, nutmeg is a hallucinogen, due to the fact that nutmeg contains myristicin, which is a compound that has mind altering effects that can last one to two days. Though it has really nasty side effects that make it not worth trying...looking at you night crew guys!

Hey ! I resemble that remark ! Thanks.

I'm back. I was in the hospital again. I did Thanks Giving in the VA hospital and then New Years Eve in Mass General Hospital in Boston for a partial small bowel blockage again ! Good drugs tho. :rolleyes:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey! Welcome back. I've also heard that nutmeg is a severe bowel irritant. Not saying anything, just sayin'. :)

Also, welcome back to the Rolling FOTD thread! I'm ingesting large quantities of trivia now.

When ingested in large quantities, nutmeg is a hallucinogen, due to the fact that nutmeg contains myristicin, which is a compound that has mind altering effects that can last one to two days. Though it has really nasty side effects that make it not worth trying...looking at you night crew guys!

Hey ! I resemble that remark ! Thanks.

I'm back. I was in the hospital again. I did Thanks Giving in the VA hospital and then New Years Eve in Mass General Hospital in Boston for a partial small bowel blockage again ! Good drugs tho. :rolleyes:

Members online

Latest posts