Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shipping collection overseas

manosteele

Jul 20, 2013
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Does anyone have any advice or experience with shipping a collection overseas? I have about 30 or so card boxes filled with either top loaders or loose cards. Also boxes of magazines, programs, books and other assorted memorabilia, but it's the cards I am most worried about. There's a lot of old stuff dating back to the 48 Bowman set[/FONT]

Many thanks to you all for your help.

Steve

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
1948 Bowman Basketball and Football cards are illegal to ship overseas. (Contact me and I will help you get rid of them!) :)

I have had decent luck shipping cards to and from overseas. Some light foam padding on top of the top loaders (foam, etc.) will hopefully keep the cards from shifting too much in transit. I would recommend sealing the boxes before shipment.

I would also recommend buying (and shipping) new, unassembled boxes for your cards once they hit their destination.

manosteele

Jul 20, 2013
Shipping, etc

These are both very helpful suggestions. I was planning to carry my most valuable pieces. I'm more concerned about the boxes. I have a lot of stuff, especially from the 60s and 70s. I'm looking to ship from NJ to Asia. Do I use a shipping company, or just randomly call air lines and ask of freight prices? I have no experience with this.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
It would be more expensive, but I would recommend a shipping company. You may also want to consider adding an insurance rider for your collection.

I have to ask...what part of Asia?

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston
I would suggest that you call a freight shipping company. Including Fedx and DHL. The airlines are not the greatest of help.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Use DHL for shipping to Asia. Also, use gel silica packets in each box to cut down on moisture at different altitudes in the plane ride. DHL suggests the gel silica to prevent the metals and oils from changing properties due to moisture content at different altitudes. I'm sure paper would attract and retain moisture more easily than metals. At work, we ship transmissions to Thailand, India an China exclusively through DHL.

Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

manosteele

Jul 20, 2013
Fordman, thanks for your very informative post. I would have never thought to safeguard my collection in such a way.

Members online

Latest posts