Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should stores be open Thanksgiving?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Saw this just now1445882093580.jpg

I can understand it but it's completely one sided.

I'll flip it and say that if stores don't open, then no workers get the chance for extra pay.

Not everyone wants to spend time with "outside" relatives and not everyone celebrates the holiday for various reasons.

Last edited:

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Not all workers get extra pay to work on holidays, especially retail.

No, I don't shop on Thanksgiving or black Friday either. I call black Friday the fat lady's holiday.

Fordman

Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston
Massachusetts had some strict Blue laws on store openings on holidays and Sundays. Now store need permits from the state. Restrictions on business openings on Sundays and holidays, the Massachusetts Blue Laws, are enforced by the Attorney General's Fair Labor Division.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I always thought it should be volunteer based on Christmas and Thanksgiving. Then company opens as many locations it can with the workforce that volunteered. So if say Walgreens Walgreens has 20 stores in a market, and each store needs 10 employees to operate a day. If they get 40 volunteers, they keep 4 stores open spread in that area. Some employees may need to travel to a non "home" store but it's their option and those who want the day off can. Confirm the commitments ahead of time when ads get printed and you can advertise the locations that will be open.

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
with technology, I don't see the need to be open on Thanksgiving, a national holiday.

If someone needs to shop bad enough, they can do it online on Thanksgiving or if they have to go to a brick and mortar location, do it on Friday a normal workday.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I had a job in a hotel where I was forced to work every holiday if it fell on my regular day to work.

And for some reason due to the way **** works with minority business owners, they weren't required to pay us holiday pay either.

So I don't have any sympathy for those who have to work on holidays.

You do what you have to do to earn a living. Having holidays off is a luxury, not a necessity.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Two thumbs up for REI for closing on Black Friday.

I have no problem with a business being open IF employees are willing to work and NOT forced to work.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
with technology, I don't see the need to be open on Thanksgiving, a national holiday.

If someone needs to shop bad enough, they can do it online on Thanksgiving or if they have to go to a brick and mortar location, do it on Friday a normal workday.
I agree. Close the stores on Thursday and put all the deals online. Given the occurrences of customers getting hurt in stampedes in prior years this might be a good idea to do so on Black Friday as well.

I enjoy going shopping on Black Friday, but last years sales were nothing to write home about.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I think everyone should be off on thanksgiving. Police, firemen, EMT's, hospital staff workers, football players, TV announcer's, news people. Lets just shut everything down. Wouldn't that be fun. It is only 24 hours.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Keep them closed on Thursday but when I was in high school I loved working black Friday in retail. Working in a shoe store they always ran some sort of promotion for the employees based on sales and every year I killed it taking home usually 2 pairs of shoes of my choice. That would explain why I had well over 75 pairs in high school.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
It should be the business' choice how the business chooses to operate. If it's really that big of a deal, work somewhere else.

Most people are happy to work, even if they don't get holiday pay. Most people who work in retail, live check to check, and depend on that 8 hours to pay their bills.

Latest posts