Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Signs a ‘93 UD Set is a Gold Holo one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I know this a long shot but since we have the most knowledgeable members of any cards forum I’d figure I’d ask.

Does anyone know a way to tell if a sealed 1993 UD Factory baseball set is a Gold Hologram version?

They were inserted at a rate of 1 in a 15 set case. I looked it up, talked to a coupla folks and no one knows of any way to differentiate them in any way.

But maybe somebody on here does?

Just wondering. Otherwise I’ll just open the one I got recently...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
To my knowledge they were all packaged exactly the same way. The only way to know is to open.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That would have been crappy to ID them from the outside, as then they would have all been sucked up like all the other limited edition items that are clearly marked. I remember I was at my local cardshop the day the 93 Iooss jumbo sets arrived. I ended up buying one and hit the gold set, but only knew by opening it.

I don't collect hot wheels, but had a coworker who did around the same time SLUs were big. He collected both. I remember him introducing me to the "Treasure Hunt" cars, at least that is what I think they were called. They were specially marked on the package and of course, employees or creepers who lived to travel from store to store at arrive just as they opened would always get them all. That guy who told me about them was one of those creepers! I'd be curious is one of those ever survived long enough for some random kid finding one. That is why sealed and random is always best, gives everyone a chance.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I had thought all factory sets had gold holograms. I didn't realize it was a chase. I thought was a subtle variation between retail/hobby cards versus factory set singles.

There is a late '80s Donruss release that features slightly different borders between factory and retail cards.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Will look out for these from now on.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had thought all factory sets had gold holograms. I didn't realize it was a chase. I thought was a subtle variation between retail/hobby cards versus factory set singles.

There is a late '80s Donruss release that features slightly different borders between factory and retail cards.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Will look out for these from now on.

91 D had different designs on the border for sure. Not sure if any others did.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Yes it was the '91 I was thinking of above. Yes, Baseballcardpedia is a treasure trove. That is my go to source as well. Thanks Magic.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
91 D had different designs on the border for sure. Not sure if any others did.
so did 88 (the multi-color borders were top left/bottom right in packed out cards and top right/bottom left in factory sets) and 90 (multiple splatter patterns in the borders)....plus the 87's , while having the same patterns were oriented differently (hold a card face up card and turn it over...packed out cards wou;ld have the back facing one direction while factory sets had the cards backs facing the opposite direction)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't collect hot wheels, but had a coworker who did around the same time SLUs were big. He collected both. I remember him introducing me to the "Treasure Hunt" cars, at least that is what I think they were called. They were specially marked on the package and of course, employees or creepers who lived to travel from store to store at arrive just as they opened would always get them all. That guy who told me about them was one of those creepers! I'd be curious is one of those ever survived long enough for some random kid finding one. That is why sealed and random is always best, gives everyone a chance.

I collected Hot Wheels lightly in the late 90s when Treasure Hunts were a big deal. I never found any, or maybe one, though they weren't so rare it was impossible. They were 1 per 72-car case, I believe, and yes they were labeled "Treasure Hunts." They sold for about $20 give or take, so there were always either people who knew when stores stocked the pegs and would snap them up or else it was the employees themselves. Make 3 hours pay off a 95 cent car? You can believe if the store manager didn't prohibit them from buying them they surely would.

But yeah, UD was a bit ahead of the curve once again with unannounced, unmarked variations on these sets.

Tibor

Sep 16, 2015
I was under the impression that all of the 1993 UD factory sets were Gold Holograms.
I bought 10 of the Ripken card from a dealer out of Ohio late 1993. He used to sell
all the popular players from individual lists. Oddball, food issues and inserts. His Ripken
list was 5+ pages front and back. He had all kinds of variations including the Donruss
mentioned above.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Well, opened it up.

No Gold, Jerry. No gold!

Oh well I knew it was lower odds since it was probably left over from a case that had been opened and I bought at great price just for the set itself which I always liked and the Jeter anyway.

Lots of “bricking” of the cards but the Jeter looks nice...

Members online

Latest posts