Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So long NFL blackout rule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
This may be a bad thing though.

If you think about it no other major sport shows all of its content on basic channels.

BUT, going away from this model would be stupid because it's how they got where they are today.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
30 years too late IMO. I've been ripping this out-dated, annoying rule for decades...

But I do think the owners have a Valid concern about ticket sales dropping. Football is so much better on TV, without all the hassle of a Live game...

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
LOL! You're about to see how REALLY GREEDY the private sector is without the excuse of too much federal regulation. You think major networks are going to show these games?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is but I keep seeming on missing the point based on people's reaction I read.

The FCC removes the blackout rule, why can't the NFL make a rule that mimick's the former FCC blackout rule so that the end effect is no things change? (i.e. the game will be blacked out within a 75 mile or whatever radius unless the game is a sellout)

I do see the NFL at least doing something MLB-ish - increase the former blackout zone from 75 miles to large swatchs of territory like MLB and black out the game on tv stations in those large swatchs if the team can't sellout the game, so it encourages a lot more regional attendance than just nearby attendance.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is but I keep seeming on missing the point based on people's reaction I read.

The FCC removes the blackout rule, why can't the NFL make a rule that mimick's the former FCC blackout rule so that the end effect is no things change? (i.e. the game will be blacked out within a 75 mile or whatever radius unless the game is a sellout)

I do see the NFL at least doing something MLB-ish - increase the former blackout zone from 75 miles to large swatchs of territory like MLB and black out the game on tv stations in those large swatchs if the team can't sellout the game, so it encourages a lot more regional attendance than just nearby attendance.

Maybe I'll try to research a bit more, but my first reaction is that the FCC can tell whoever it wants what they can and cannot put on the airwaves. In this case, the FCC may have told the NFL that it's either every game with full access, or no games at all; meaning the NFL couldn't shut off the spigot at their end, because the FCC will then ban them from ALL access.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
is it a problem for anyone else?

Yes, it's a problem for me.

My blacked out teams are the Rockies and Diamondbacks.

DIRECTV calls Root Rocky Mountain my RSN. FSN Arizona is not my RSN. Games involving Rockies and Diamondbacks are blacked out in my MLB.TV package. I can watch the Rockies not blacked out in my pay package on ROOT, no problem. If I wanted to watch a diamondbacks game live, I have no way to get the Diamondbacks games not blacked out other than listen to the game live on radio or watch MLB.TV archives an hour or so after the game ends.

If MLB is going to keep the blackout rule more or less as it is, they should make it that teams whose RSN's are not in your area's pay tv package cannot be blacked out because I"m blacked out of a team that I can't get to watch video live by any means other than an illegal internet stream if I sought it out, so what is there to protect?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
The Bengals are in danger of a blackout.

Apparently the NFL and cable provider can still agree to black out the game, regardless of the FCC ruling.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I thought the new ruling didn't apply until next Season...

Pulled my info from here.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/21/bengals-facing-three-home-games-in-12-days/

No NFL games have been blacked out on local TV yet this year. Last month, the FCC voted to end government support for the blackout rule. The league and the broadcast networks still have the ability to privately agree not to televise the games, if they aren’t sold out within 72 hours before kickoff.

If/when the NFL continues to black out games, Congress could intensify efforts to force the NFL to permit all games to be televised in the local market, regardless of the amount of tickets sold.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts