Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tamper Evident Seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
I received a package the other day that had tamper evident seals on the case protecting the item. My first reaction was that this is a great idea. It's not perfectly foolproof, certainly, but I thought that it might serve as at least a good start to keeping buyers and sellers honest about returns etc. Have others used these? Any anecdotal evidence that they serve whatever intended purpose you had?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
nyc3 said:
Since paypal dont care its a waste of money.

Just curious, but do you have any proof of this specific claim?

If I sold and sent cards with tamper proof seals, and advertised that all returns must be done with seal intact, and someone tried to pull the old switcheroo on me, why would paypal not agree that the tamper proof seal was broken? Why would they not see the validity in you offering returns for cards that still have the tamper proofing still intact as a viable recourse towards dishonest buyers?

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
matfanofold said:
nyc3 said:

If I sold and sent cards with tamper proof seals, and advertised that all returns must be done with seal intact, and someone tried to pull the old switcheroo on me, why would paypal not agree that the tamper proof seal was broken? Why would they not see the validity in you offering returns for cards that still have the tamper proofing still intact as a viable recourse towards dishonest buyers?

Paypal's claim system isn't set up for input from sellers. The buyer is always right in their minds. Once a claim is filed and escalated to customer support, it is automatically decided in favor of the buyer. In fact, once a claim is escalated, the seller isn't able to provide any additional information about the situation.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
matfanofold said:
nyc3 said:

It happened to my brother. 2 cards had seals, one you couldn't see the surface damage until it was removed and the other was stuck to the seal. He got an instant return/refund even though the buyer was raising hell saying he spent $200 in holograms.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
matfanofold said:
nyc3 said:

What would stop the buyer from getting the same type of tamper proof seal you use. He could switchaeroo and then resend the card back with an identical tamper seal.

If anything, the only thing I see as a plus is that it may play on the reciever's subconcious as a positive that they recieved a secure package - untampered etc.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
JVC said:
matfanofold said:
nyc3 said:

Paypal's claim system isn't set up for input from sellers. The buyer is always right in their minds. Once a claim is filed and escalated to customer support, it is automatically decided in favor of the buyer. In fact, once a claim is escalated, the seller isn't able to provide any additional information about the situation.

True...but if it has anything to do with money, especially owed to them, they're on it like a fly on poop. You're better off spending your $$$ on grading.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Agree with everyone here. Anything you put in your description about returns, paying for "extra" insurance, using those stickers, etc is basically ignored during a claim. Paypal's/Ebay's rules are the only ones that matter, and they have been shown to be very buyer-biased.

The only thing those stickers do is serve as a deterrent. I'm sure some people may see it and take it as gospel, but believe me, if you open that seal, see a problem, and send it back in the same sleeve with the opened "seal" and file a claim. You will still win.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
There are serial numbered seals available. Agreed that seeing seals gave me, as a buyer, a tiny bit of reassurance that *something* hadn't been tampered with in transit, though this was never a really pressing concern to begin with. But it's funny that I should have had that reaction regardless.

So consider a sleeved and top-loaded card in a team bag with a tamper evident seal in a couple of places on it, such as team bag seams and folds that attempt to seal the bag but also try to obscure as little of the item as possible. The buyer should be able to inspect the card and return it if necessary unopened.

I feel like such measures would make a seller less prone to a dishonest buyer. It's not perfect, granted, and I agree that there are still PayPal issues. I am just trying to think of how to foster honesty between buyers and sellers, which seems to be at an all-time low.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Long story short.
sold ten topps mcg codes on ebay and had to send the codes thru ebays pm (i know, I know).....THRU EBAY'S VERY OWN SYSTEM.

I figured that was proof enough. Heck, its right there in their own system as proof.

Well she claimed she never got them and despite the no questions asked, 100% proof she did, I lost the case because I had no tracking.....which would be the same outcome w tamper proof seals.

Buyer always wins

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Personally do not like those seals. One of the big eBay sellers uses them, and also included their business card in the toploader so you cannot actually see the card well until the seal is opened and you remove the business card. All it does is keep the card from sliding out (like a piece of tape) while ruining the toploader (since the word "void" sticks to the toploader when you remove it.)

Latest posts