Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Jose Canseco's cards long term

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
A lot of Canseco's graded cards have surprisingly seen a steady increase over the past 2-3 months or so which surprised me considering his well-known steroid use in the past and the fact that he is also hated by a lot of people because of his attitude. Long term, do you think his cards will continue to increase, stay the same or decrease in value? He is very unlikely to ever make the Hall of Fame because of the steroid issues so I'm thinking they will probably go down.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think the hobby market and particularly 80’s rookies (along with modern stars like Acuna) have seen increases over the last few months.

Opinions differ but I think many are pointing to a country full of people who can’t go out, can’t spend money in places they usually do (like eating out, going on vacation etc) and are buying cards instead. Not sure it’s the whole story but don’t think it’s unreasonable.

Canseco is a colorful figure who was definitely a big part of the steroid era. He has some really rabid fans, many who only appreciate his honesty more and who are tired of the whole steroids issue.

I wouldn’t be comfort speculating on someone like him long term but I wouldn’t be surprised if his best rookie cards (in 10’s and 9 grades) do well.

Wouldn’t be where I put my l money, but I think a guy like that you collect because you are a fan

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I think the hobby market and particularly 80’s rookies (along with modern stars like Acuna) have seen increases over the last few months.

Opinions differ but I think many are pointing to a country full of people who can’t go out, can’t spend money in places they usually do (like eating out, going on vacation etc) and are buying cards instead. Not sure it’s the whole story but don’t think it’s unreasonable.

Canseco is a colorful figure who was definitely a big part of the steroid era. He has some really rabid fans, many who only appreciate his honesty more and who are tired of the whole steroids issue.

I wouldn’t be comfort speculating on someone like him long term but I wouldn’t be surprised if his best rookie cards (in 10’s and 9 grades) do well.

Wouldn’t be where I put my l money, but I think a guy like that you collect because you are a fan

I saw a video on youtube in January of him undergoing some stem cell procedure. Canseco has sure been through hell and back over the years and he's lived to tell about it. I have always found him entertaining but I think his cards have a very limited future ceiling because he's never going to make the Hall of Fame. I noticed that his PSA 9 and PSA 10 1986 Donruss issues have steadily increased over the past couple of months but I expect them to go back down to earth over time for the reasons I mentioned.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
A legendary figure that will forever be remembered as an infamous steroid abuser with off the field issues. He will more likely be remembered for the ball bouncing off his head than he will for starting the 40/40 club. Cards from the 80’s have seen decreases in value over the last decade. So much so that I pulled 1986 Cansecos and 1987 McGwires out of dime boxes at my LCS. Only recently have these cards seen a huge spike in value, which suggests it won’t be maintained.

Members online

Latest posts