Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

*****THURSDAY MORNING THREAD*****7/14

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Afternoon all! Part 1, The Adventures of Dave

For anyone that does not care to read my ramblings, My A/C is fixed! (For now).

So, as I posted yesterday the A/C at my house quit again. I called 4 or 5 smaller repair places to get someone to come out. Each one said it would be 2 to 3 WEEKS and I could get on their schedule. I do not know how this is possible. There are 100’s of these repair places in the KC area. Is everyone’s out at the same time? I would have thought there would be a story on the local news “Thousands of people without air conditioning.” I know of a guy that works for one of the big companies that advertise on local TV, and they have over two hundred trucks on the road every day. And there are quite a few that advertise on TV. Sorry Rambling.

So, I call one of the big companies around 10 am. They can be there between 3pm & 5pm. He gets there at 2:45 and immediately tells me that the fan motor on the outside unit is dead. I knew this since I had the top off and it was hard to spin the fan blades. After about 5 minutes of tapping on his I Pad he tells me it will be between 2 and 3 to fix it but the motor is on back order, and it will be 2 weeks before they can get one. So, I say I am tired of the supply chain excuse for everything!!! But, $200 to $300 is better that I expected. He says “no, it’s $2,000 to $3,000.” I ask him how much for a brand-new unit. He says $4,000 to $5,000. I have no idea but that sounds high. Sorry for this part, heat of the moment. I ask him how much for the service call. He says $99. I pay and ask him to leave. He wants to know if he should order the parts. I tell him “I will burn my house to the ground before I pay $2,000 to $3,000 for a fan motor to be installed.”

So, I take the fan motor off drive four miles to a HVAC supply store pay under $200 for a motor (in stock) and three ½ hours later it works. Before today I have never seen the inside of a A/C unit.

Moral: Learn basic repair. I was lucky I had a Grandfather that could fix anything. I was the oldest grand child and was his designated helper.

Members online

Latest posts