Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps you're killing me.. (Edgar Martinez Auto's)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
This year there are so many Topps Edgar Martinez Auto's..

These are the 1/1 Archives I have and He's been in other products as well.. There are a couple of other Edgar Collectors that are making my pickups more costly..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 31
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 31

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
I wish they would reserve 1/1 only for rainbows or parallels of the same card. Creating a single card and stamping it a 1/1 kinda defeats the purpose. The players more than likely signed a bunch of the old cards. Topps just holds them in reserve to release one each year with a shiny new 1/1 and current year stamp on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I get so excited when I see 1/1's pop up in the eBay searches for the players I collect but, when that Archives sticker shows itself on the case, I lose any and all interest. I'd probably like them more if they were pulled from a pack of cards but that's just the opinion of a weird collector with weird collecting interests.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am a fan of the set and similar (Fan Favorites, regular archives, etc) as a means to get some team specific autographs, but I understand your frustration. Garvey was in the set a couple consecutive years and there were a lot of low serial numbered cards. Not many 1/1s that I saw or recall, but still a fair amount under 10 copies. I have seen a lot of players end up with a lot of 1/1s though. Shawn Green, for example, seems to have a lot of low serial numbered cards in these issues. WHY?

It is not geared towards the collector, but more towards the box or case breaker. The more "hits" they can offer, the better the product will do. Of course, when your hit is a 1/1 Carlos Baerga 1991 Topps, is it really a "hit" for anyone but a handful of collectors?

I would also like to see special cards get the low print runs. It seemed to go that way early on, especially with vintage Topps cards. A players rookie would be 1/1 and then a few more copies per year as the years passed, until you got to recent issues that were numbered into the double and triple digits.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I currently have 80+ Archive auto's since they started in 2015.. I am looking for the card, not the number. If I have a 1/1 and I see the same card that from a different year then I try and get the card and sell the 1/1 to make some money back..

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Interesting approach. I get it, especially after the Garvey run was repeating exact cards, with just different serial numbers. I didn't care for it, but I was after the issue, not the card itself. If 2014 had 86T /33 and 2015 has 86T /66, I would want one of each. Makes it much harder if one or both are 1/1s though. That would only apply to my Garvey collection though, otherwise I would agree that 1 of each card I wanted would suffice for anyone else.

Then there were the Topps Originals that had 8-10 different (but same) Topps cards too!

Panini has shot themselves in the foot with me, at least the aftermarket sellers. They just keep pumping out those ugly, logoless cards that are numbered under 25. No way in my opinion that a Garvey au with a bat or jersey /25 should ever sell for more than $20-30. I was part of the problem, now I will become part of the solution as I refuse to pay those inflated prices anymore. I don't care anymore if I don't get all of the different parallels.

I still chuckle at the card /20 that I made a fair offer on and the seller, greedy from recent comp sales, passed thinking he could do better. It's been a couple years and he is almost at my offer point, dropping the price ever so often. Still has not sold it. Probably never will until it drops BELOW what I offered. I got mine elsewhere at my price and the market just is not that deep!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I am with you on these issues. It is a cool idea, but one that Topps is absolutely beating into the ground. This year there are 37 different Robbie Alomar issues in that set, and 35 of them are 1/1. WTF?

This year I'm still doing what I did in previous years - just get one or two examples from the set and call it good. Basically I want to have an example of each year's set, and I will just get one of the higher print run cards at as reasonable price as I can. This year they included the 1989 Toys R Us Rookies card with a print run to 30, so that's the one I want. But the sale prices of these things is staying surprisingly high, even for this /30 card. It is a cool card though, so I'll get one eventually.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The problem with the 1/1s from products like this is there's always people who think they found their retirement savings. 1/1s of a player might sell for $50-100 depending on the card but this guy over here can't see his 2002 League Leaders card being worth anything less than $2500 because it's a 1/1. Despite being able to point to a dozen other 1/1s and what they sold for, his card is the most specialest.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I'm excited I have some new Erstad to chase. He has a few autos in the Archives Fan Favorite.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
I like the 1/1 auto's......just pick the ones u like and leave the ones you don't like! Best regards, David PS can't have everything!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I'm going after the Jerry Remys. Thankfully, he only has 18 possible different cards between base Topps and OPC (make it 21 if any Tiffany or 1984 Nestle show up). I have in hand, or have on the way, 10 so far, but no idea if any of the others are 1/1s or even exist.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Looks like they’ve done a better job picking awesome looking cards as opposed to repeatedly using 1995 Topps. Those look amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I might have all the Jerry Remy. Out of the 18 possibilities, I've seen and own 13. Only ones I haven't seen are the 76 Topps, 76 OPC, and 80-82 OPC.

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_0002.jpg
    IMG_20201013_0002.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201013_0003.jpg
    IMG_20201013_0003.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 12

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
There is another Edgar Martinez collector in Seattle that I will call and we tend to alternate on the auto's.. He's going after the 1/1 Edgar cards, so I know if I find a card that is numbered /15 and have the same card #d 1/1.. I just send him an e-mail and he buys the card.. There are some fools on EBAY that think we have really deep pockets for the 1/1's as there is currently one for $1500 and one for $300 that they keep relisting over and over.. I sent them realistic offers, but they think they have a card that everyone wants.. :)

Members online