Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Uncovering ***** League History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Really cool!!

Edit: figured I'd use this post to ask Brian to consider a Leaf ***** League set. Each year the potential for such a set decreases, but right now there are still those ***** League players out there ready willing and interested in sharing their stories.

autocut

Topnotchsy said:
Really cool!!

Edit: figured I'd use this post to ask Brian to consider a Leaf ***** League set. Each year the potential for such a set decreases, but right now there are still those ***** League players out there ready willing and interested in sharing their stories.

I'm all for that. I have a nice ***** League collection and have also talked to a few players on the phone. some interesting stories.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
TBTwinsFan said:
Ty Hope said:
+2 for a Leaf ***** League set.

There are many guys that I would love to have a nice card of... John "Mule" Miles would be the first person that comes to mind.

John "Mules" Miles

I have one that Topps put out in A&G in one of the sealed auto's

Here's an interesting item..

[ebay:4hnyqzs8]200707742069[/ebay:4hnyqzs8]

$(KGrHqJ,!ogE8VbSV2hHBPJsmjrlR!~~60_12.JPG

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
cookie said:
George_Calfas said:
Not sure why Leaf has not jumped on a ***** League auto set yet.

i would imagine there are not enough period pictures of the obscure players to support a set.
Not like it has stopped production before.

Plenty of good photos available and a Metal or Rose-like set would rock.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
cookie said:
George_Calfas said:

i would imagine there are not enough period pictures of the obscure players to support a set.

I bet these guys would beg to differ

http://www.nlbm.com/

If Brian worked with NLBM, Im betting he could put out a set that would end up being his all time best seller in baseball releases.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
I'm pretty Leaf-neutral and would welcome another solid set into NLB history.

jdsingar

Feb 10, 2011
Does anyone know of any good references where I could learn about ***** League players, whether it be an internet resource or a book? I am fascinated by the era but know little about it. I'd love to collect some cards from some ***** League players but I don't know who yet.

JustinG08

Aug 9, 2008
Clearwater, FL
George_Calfas said:

I'm a huge ***** League fan, but it would take some work for a set like this to work today. There really isn't many pre-integration era players left, and of those still living many already have a A&G card. To do this set right you would have to include quite a few cut autographs, and while I don't have a problem with that I really hate these generic cut auto templates without a picture of the players. If BG could do the cut autographs like the old legendary cuts with an actual picture of the player that would be a great start.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
JustinG08 said:
George_Calfas said:

I'm a huge ***** League fan, but it would take some work for a set like this to work today. There really isn't many pre-integration era players left, and of those still living many already have a A&G card. To do this set right you would have to include quite a few cut autographs, and while I don't have a problem with that I really hate these generic cut auto templates without a picture of the players. If BG could do the cut autographs like the old legendary cuts with an actual picture of the player that would be a great start.

While this is definitely true, the money that might be spent on digging up pictures and historical information would likely be saved by the low price of the autographs. Very few ***** League signers would cost anything close to what top flight MLB players go for and you can find really sweet pieces signed by many players for really cheap.

Members online

Latest posts