Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Unopened Super Mario 64 game from 1996 sells for $1.56 million dollars

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston
Heritage Auctions of Dallas Tx recent sold the unopened game. An unopened game of Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda sold for $870,000 on Friday. In April of this year an unopened copy of Nintendo's Super Mario Bros that was bought in 1986 and forgotten about in a desk draw sold for $666,000. :eek:

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Why would a NES Zelda game sell for that much? It must be an extremely limited version of some sort that I don't know about. I received my copy on my 11th birthday, November 22, 1987 to be exact. I'd puke if I knew it would sell for almost a million down the road. Same with Super Mario Bros. Wasn't that the pack in game along with Dunk Hunt? How is that rare in the slightest?

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston
They're rare because, the games are un-opened. Most kids, now adults didn't save them. Or their parents threw the games out when the kids grew up, went to college. Or moved out.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
That was a massive overbuy IMO, :( there's a group of guys out there who collect games as they come out and save a copy unopened. I know offhand of a guy who collects tons of that sht. The crazy part is Mario 64 was THE launch game of the console, so there should be more copies of it than any N64 game. Plus, there could be a ton in a warehouse somewhere. The story says its 1 of 5 in existence in that good of condition but I bet around 150-250 copies are in that quality.

Perhaps peak collecting insanity isn't over with yet!

Members online

Latest posts