Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WARNING: BGS DAMAGES CARD AND CLAIMS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Not that I'm taking sides here, but even if the card looks perfect, you still can't assume a 9.5, much less a 10. There is always human error even in the evaluation process, so nothing is guaranteed.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Not that I'm taking sides here, but even if the card looks perfect, you still can't assume a 9.5, much less a 10. There is always human error even in the evaluation process, so nothing is guaranteed.
Thats what cracks me up. Its one thing to even say its gem mint (as ref. to an older thread by the op) BUT to say for sure it would have graded PRISTINE is insane.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
This is the same guy who demanded $100 premium on an ungraded card because his grading eye labeled it at least a 9.5 maybe even a 10 then got incredibly rude and defensive when people started questioning him. He is a drama queen and to prove it just look at his history and some of the other threads he created.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
This is the same guy who demanded $100 premium on an ungraded card because his grading eye labeled it at least a 9.5 maybe even a 10 then got incredibly rude and defensive when people started questioning him. He is a drama queen and to prove it just look at his history and some of the other threads he created.
One of us is trolling, flaming, and slandering the other. I'll let the prudent crowd make the judgment call on who the real Drama Queen is around here. How many inflammatory posts do you need to make on this thread to show us what you're all about? Take a hike, Jack.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
To expect a pristine 10 on a card is absurd. Temper your expectations and you'll be fine. You will never win riffing with BGS

Right...not too high end. It was a gorgeous gold ref RC though, and would have been a great add for an O's fan if it had been slabbed a 10.

What cracks me up a bit is how the manager asked to see the card and then writes there is no proof they damaged it. Why did I have to mail it back for him to look at it and come to that conclusion? Obviously he knows I can't prove it anymore than I did by sending him my original scans, giving him my word, and having someone he knows vouch for me. Nothing more I can do. My scans speak for themselves, unless of course you refuse to trust me, which he did, in essence.

I will not be sending in a lot of what I was planning to now, but will contact the manager to ask how I can ensure this doesn't happen again if and when I send something high-end in. If it's my word against theirs, and they make the final call, obviously I lose, which means all of us lose, if you know what I'm saying.

Anyway, gotta go.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Guys he is that guy in the past with his stuff. No one laughed harder then me but in this case he provides valid scans and concerns. Lets not kill him here.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Right...not too high end. It was a gorgeous gold ref RC though, and would have been a great add for an O's fan if it had been slabbed a 10.

What cracks me up a bit is how the manager asked to see the card and then writes there is no proof they damaged it. Why did I have to mail it back for him to look at it and come to that conclusion? Obviously he knows I can't prove it anymore than I did by sending him my original scans, giving him my word, and having someone he knows vouch for me. Nothing more I can do. My scans speak for themselves, unless of course you refuse to trust me, which he did, in essence.

I will not be sending in a lot of what I was planning to now, but will contact the manager to ask how I can ensure this doesn't happen again if and when I send something high-end in. If it's my word against theirs, and they make the final call, obviously I lose, which means all of us lose, if you know what I'm saying.

Anyway, gotta go.
To avoid anything like this in the future, i recommend you bring them to BGS yourself and show them they are not damaged when handing them over. BGS will be at White Plains this weekend.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

Anyway, gotta go.
Submit at a show and do the 2 hour service...but again, there is a human element attached to card grading and you are subject to accidents. I think you are at least partially at fault for not submitting in a Card Saver as their shipping instructions require. Think about all the damage each of us have done to cards when trying to put them in sleeves and top loaders and then imagine what a grader has to do and you can understand how damage can happen. It is your word against theirs and, without concrete evidence that BGS was negligent, you will receive nothing.

You do not have concrete evidence in my opinion that points to BGS's negligence as the scan you provided could have been taken after you committed the damage to this card and before you sent it to BGS (not saying you did this but I am sure BGS could easily argue this point). It is time to move on and take your losses......even though we all know it isnt about the money!! :D

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Submit at a show and do the 2 hour service...but again, there is a human element attached to card grading and you are subject to accidents. I think you are at least partially at fault for not submitting in a Card Saver as their shipping instructions require. Think about all the damage each of us have done to cards when trying to put them in sleeves and top loaders and then imagine what a grader has to do and you can understand how damage can happen. It is your word against theirs and, without concrete evidence that BGS was negligent, you will receive nothing.

You do not have concrete evidence in my opinion that points to BGS's negligence as the scan you provided could have been taken after you committed the damage to this card and before you sent it to BGS (not saying you did this but I am sure BGS could easily argue this point). It is time to move on and take your losses......even though we all know it isnt about the money!! :D
Mcnamee's lawyer's failed to prove Clemens used steroids, but does that make Clemen's innocent? No.

You guys who have some discernment obviously know what happened here.

Have a nice evening.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Guys he is that guy in the past with his stuff. No one laughed harder then me but in this case he provides valid scans and concerns. Lets not kill him here.
I don't know why people laughed when a card I said would grade gem mint, graded gem mint. I said it looked pristine and could grade pristine, but never guaranteed a 10 or said it would definitely grade a 10. I made a simple remark and people FREAKED OUT LIKE THEY WERE HIGH ON CRACK.

That Harper card graded 9.5, as I said it would. Nothing to laugh about, especially three years later. The fact people still talk about is what is to be laughed about.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Nobody is talking about your old posts without reason. You make ridiculous posts and then you get flamed for them, but defend them as if we are all nuts for making the points and statements we make. You reply to every comment someone makes, which is already an indication of a serious waste of time. People are just pointing out the old posts so that those who might be reading this as their first encounter with you realize that you are a serious drama queen looking for some attention. You got 4 pages of it so far, which I'm sure you love and I'm sure you'll get some additional pages out of it too!

I'm sure a response to this comment is coming too! Of course I say this so you'll perhaps purposely ignore it to prove me wrong. But since I'm sure you'll read this now and think you don't want to make me look like the guy who is right, you'll respond to make a point, unless of course you read this last part and decide to ignore this altogether to make me look like the guy who is wrong. Oh damn! What to do!!!! Respond? Ignore? Yikes! I'd hate to be in your shoes right now and have to make this decision!!!

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Nobody is talking about your old posts without reason. You make ridiculous posts and then you get flamed for them, but defend them as if we are all nuts for making the points and statements we make. You reply to every comment someone makes, which is already an indication of a serious waste of time. People are just pointing out the old posts so that those who might be reading this as their first encounter with you realize that you are a serious drama queen looking for some attention. You got 4 pages of it so far, which I'm sure you love and I'm sure you'll get some additional pages out of it too!

I'm sure a response to this comment is coming too! Of course I say this so you'll perhaps purposely ignore it to prove me wrong. But since I'm sure you'll read this now and think you don't want to make me look like the guy who is right, you'll respond to make a point, unless of course you read this last part and decide to ignore this altogether to make me look like the guy who is wrong. Oh damn! What to do!!!! Respond? Ignore? Yikes! I'd hate to be in your shoes right now and have to make this decision!!!
This thread is not about me, Bill. Try hard to understand that. Think it through. You might eventually get it.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I love boomerang topics. You think its going over there and wham its coming back around.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
I can say with 100% certainty that BGS compensates every single time they knowingly damage a card. I can state this as fact considering I worked there for almost 7 years. Whether the card is $1 or $1000 if they damage it they pay. If they paid claims every time someone alleges they damaged a card they would, as someone stated in this thread earlier, be out of business. The number of people that send in cards with obvious flaws and claim they were damaged while in the possession of BGS is astounding. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, there would be no reason not to pay a claim on a $5 Arrieta card if they damaged it. I don't believe the OP knowingly damaged his own card but I believe that's what happened. The scans mean nothing. For all anybody knows, including BGS, there could have been any amount of time from the time the card was scanned raw and the time it was submitted to BGS. Anything could have happened before the card was sent.

For the guy that got the card that was damaged by the ruptured sleeve, that's a trickier situation. With the group submission the cards go from BGS to Phil to the customer. If the card is damaged from BGS to Phil then they compensate but if it is damaged from Phil to the submitter they don't. It is rare that an inner sleeve pops but if the card is damaged, shaken excessively, etc. then it can happen. If that happens in shipping from BGS they and their insurance company are responsible. If it happens second hand then they claim no responsibility.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I can say with 100% certainty that BGS compensates every single time they knowingly damage a card. I can state this as fact considering I worked there for almost 7 years. Whether the card is $1 or $1000 if they damage it they pay. If they paid claims every time someone alleges they damaged a card they would, as someone stated in this thread earlier, be out of business. The number of people that send in cards with obvious flaws and claim they were damaged while in the possession of BGS is astounding. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, there would be no reason not to pay a claim on a $5 Arrieta card if they damaged it. I don't believe the OP knowingly damaged his own card but I believe that's what happened. The scans mean nothing. For all anybody knows, including BGS, there could have been any amount of time from the time the card was scanned raw and the time it was submitted to BGS. Anything could have happened before the card was sent.

For the guy that got the card that was damaged by the ruptured sleeve, that's a trickier situation. With the group submission the cards go from BGS to Phil to the customer. If the card is damaged from BGS to Phil then they compensate but if it is damaged from Phil to the submitter they don't. It is rare that an inner sleeve pops but if the card is damaged, shaken excessively, etc. then it can happen. If that happens in shipping from BGS they and their insurance company are responsible. If it happens second hand then they claim no responsibility.
I didn't damage the card and the mailman wasn't scrambling his eggs or flipping his pancakes with my Arrieta gold RC ref.

The situation is disheartening, because I know if they can do this with a $5 card, they can do this with a $500 or $5000 card. After all, in whatever case they choose to ignore, the sticky note will read the same: "There's no proof the damaged occurred here." This sticky note mirrored the manager's email to me, and sucks all the life out of my trust for them. They can do anything they want and say the same thing. Conclusion: GRADER BEWARE.

The evidence and facts have been presented. Believe whatever you want, but know I have told the truth. I'm done commenting on this. BGS isn't going to resolve anything with it.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I've only sent in one order and it was weird because on my 2008 bowman chrome orange refractor Evan longoria It received a grade of 9.5 with a 10 auto. But what was weird is I noticed on the top left corner that it was damaged and I know it wasn't like that before. I always figured they damaged it but felt bad so still graded it a 9.5 ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts