Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What are your thoughts on this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Add Wander mania to the fact that the product just came out and this is what you get I guess. In a month those will be a lot less. I agree though, no way those will sustain.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
yea. i remember that Strasburg craziness. but this price for this card is insane. I can see an auto or 1 of 1 patch auto but a basic card? no thank you
I don't get it....at all

Add Wander mania to the fact that the product just came out and this is what you get I guess. In a month those will be a lot less. I agree though, no way those will sustain.
Yep, perfect storm I guess. I am just baffled people are this financially illiterate

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
First, that is a beautiful looking card of Wander with the trophy, photo, and retro uniform. Just glad it's not a card of a squirrel going for that amount lol.

A combination of product hype, rookie hysteria, and gimmick. I had sold a 2007 Joba gimmick variation during his rookie season and bought it back 10 years later for 10-20% of that price.

Currently, I am waiting patiently for Gleyber and Judge prices to come to reality to buy their SP and SSP rookies. Even in the small chance they are both end up as HOFers, the odds are against prices staying that high.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
we may not find out if they keep up the nonsense. Sport is on a decades long decline and they wont go to work.....

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i once tried the prospecting thing, way back when. hoarded a bunch of mark prior auto rookie cards.
he was on the cover a beckett one month. then poof injury.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Prices are pretty intense but I really think he's gonna be a great player. Of all the rookies/prospects, he's the one I'd personally feel most comfortable having money in.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This is the result of the RC logo being withheld from players who debuted during the previous season. AFAIK, no player who debuted after May 27 last year got the logo, about 10 days earlier than the previous earliest cutoff. So demand is pent-up all year and all winter, causing later-season products to suffer for the benefit of the first couple products the next season. IMHO, this is kind of dumb because Topps S1 is always the biggest seller of the year, anyway.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Jumbo boxes at my LCS, which are usually priced VERY good, better than Blowout, eBay, etc., were $200, limit per. 😳

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
So many examples like this. I just people aren't borrowing money to make these purchases
The best/worst example of this is probably a guy named Jesus Montero.

Yankees super prospect catcher traded to Seattle and barely lasted two seasons.

Was about the same time that this board opened up and people migrated from Beckett.

A LOT of people were heavily invested in him...

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
The best/worst example of this is probably a guy named Jesus Montero.

Yankees super prospect catcher traded to Seattle and barely lasted two seasons.

Was about the same time that this board opened up and people migrated from Beckett.

A LOT of people were heavily invested in him...
I agree with Montero. I always remember the posts about Matt LaPorta.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Ah yes, Matt “Jesus” LaPorta. Completely forgot about him.
I had too. LOL

I do remember I got one of his Elite autos and sold it for a huge number at the time.

Matt Wieters was one of my favorites since he went to GT, and man, his prices were nuts there for a while.

A LOT of those guys had Donruss Elite prospects cards before MLB cards before MLB cards and their prices were nuts.

Wieters was also part of the famed FCB National set that Leaf made for us...

Members online