Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What Were Your Favorite 2011 Sets Or Subsets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
Does this thread already exist? Didn't find it quickly in search ...

Mine were:
Museum Collection autos from Marquee
On card 1952 style autos from Lineage
All of Topps Base (my favorite design in a very long time) and Chrome
Kimball Champions
Ginter Minis

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Seriously, worst year in a long time. Nothing resonated with me. Everything from Topps seemed complete rehashes of other issues.

Leaf did a very nice job with Ali and Rose, but I didn't buy any.

Diamond Die-Cuts Topps Inserts weren't bad. Think that set will stand the test of time due to rarity and size.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I like the Bowman Best subset, only if they are refractors. The /25 ones look specifically awesome.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Among sets, I thought that Topps was excellent this year with tons of added value in the Diamond Die Cuts, Platinum Diamonds, and Canary Diamonds that were added this year. I also really enjoyed Finest, which had a clean, classic design reminiscent of the set's glory days (the only misstep was eliminating blue refractors, my favorite color). The reintroduction of atomic refractors in Topps Chrome was also welcome. My favorite insert sets were the Opening Day Superstars from Topps Opening Day and the Lineage '68 3-D set. I think Topps improved their product offerings this year after a rough 2010.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
a4ef076a.jpg

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
I only busted regular Topps and Topps Heritage, but pretty much all the inserts I saw were crap. Except the die cut ones. I'm just sick of stuff like Kimball, Topps Town, Topps 60, Diamond Duos and gold parallels. Actually, it seems base Topps inserts are getting more bland each year. The shiny Topps inserts from 1996-2000 or so puts the current ones to shame.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
jdsingar said:
Gotta be the Museum Autos for me. I am a sucker for the thick card and silver ink.
For me, it's the Museum Collection autos also and I don't even have one yet (redemption pending).

It's too bad their "cool factor" will be washed away next year when Topps floods the market with them.

jdsingar

Feb 10, 2011
carlitoson said:
jdsingar said:
Gotta be the Museum Autos for me. I am a sucker for the thick card and silver ink.
For me, it's the Museum Collection autos also and I don't even have one yet (redemption pending).

It's too bad their "cool factor" will be washed away next year when Topps floods the market with them.

Yeah I agree. I am hoping that still limit them to 10 per player. Those initial designs for the set don't look too great, so I am hoping these will end up being the ones to have. So far I have Adrian Gonzalez, Daniel Bard, Clay Buchholz, Josh Hamilton, Chris Coghlan, Dustin Pedroia (Redemption), Elvis Andrus (Redemption) and Carl Crawford (Redemption). Just need a Pujols and i'll be happy with my Frankenset.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
carlitoson said:
jdsingar said:

The 2011 release will be just like the 1993 Finest release was for refractors. As the brand becomes diluted with elaborate parallel schemes, collectors will appreciate and turn to the simplicity of the original set.

th_museum.jpg

I also really liked the Topps Diamond parallels (Canary, Hope, Cognac,...); stunning cards, reminiscent of the '90s Atomic Refractors.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
History of Topps was the highlight of Topps' 2011 releases for me, third year in a row when a particular insert sticks in my mind most about what I liked about Topps and nothing about their base card designs.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
gracecollector said:
Seriously, worst year in a long time. Nothing resonated with me. Everything from Topps seemed complete rehashes of other issues.

Leaf did a very nice job with Ali and Rose, but I didn't buy any.

Diamond Die-Cuts Topps Inserts weren't bad. Think that set will stand the test of time due to rarity and size.

No Mark Grace cards, eh? :) Just kidding -- though, were there??

James52411 said:
Among sets, I thought that Topps was excellent this year with tons of added value in the Diamond Die Cuts, Platinum Diamonds, and Canary Diamonds that were added this year. I also really enjoyed Finest, which had a clean, classic design reminiscent of the set's glory days (the only misstep was eliminating blue refractors, my favorite color). The reintroduction of atomic refractors in Topps Chrome was also welcome. My favorite insert sets were the Opening Day Superstars from Topps Opening Day and the Lineage '68 3-D set. I think Topps improved their product offerings this year after a rough 2010.
jdsingar said:

I forgot about the Atomics in Topps Chrome. I really did like them, though I have to admit, I didn't really like the Sepia ones.

Did I miss any mentions of Gypsy Queen?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Liked the Topps base set, Lineage 3D set, and Leaf Metal.

And I could care less about subject (or its' brief controversy) but the A&G "Evolution" insert set were beautiful looking, just wasted on a lousy idea for an insert set.

Members online

Latest posts