Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you pay for a Sandy Koufax Sweet Spot Auto #'d to 10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Almost anyone with a collection of cards would buy a Koufax auto for the right price. Maybe you love the Dodgers? Maybe you'd flip it for a profit? Maybe you collect HOFers? Regardless, Koufax was such an iconic player that even those people not interested in any of those categories might still buy one, again assuming the price is right.

I spotted a Sweet Spot Koufax auto /10 on my phone (most of my card browsing is on a desktop, by the way) with an opening bid of 99 cents and thought I would toss out a bid, mainly to see what it might end up at. I had no belief I would win it or that I would even have a shot in my price range, but do this quite often just to see how well things end up selling. I tossed out the bid and filed it away to check later. When I went back on the home computer, I saw why it had been listed at 99 cents. It is one of those UD Sweet Spots that faded badly. I know first hand of that pain, more than I care to admit at times, until I am once again reminded by looking through my box of them and come across all the autos that have faded, some almost completely!

I bought all of them when they were new and the signatures were strong. I needed to get every serial numbered version, of course, as that is how the typical player collector does it. I got multiples of some of the lower print runs too, as I often did and still do when I can swing it. Only after a few years passed, with these all sitting in boxes with no light, did I notice many were fading. By that time, there was nothing that could be done.

So, here is why I am bringing this up again, and reliving the sting of yet another screw job I have gotten in my hobby lifetime. You know the signature is toast, but you also know that only 10 of this particular card was made. As a Koufax or Dodger collector, do you maybe try to fill a gap on the cheap (you hope), knowing you are not buying it for the signature? Thinking a little more deviously, maybe you are a dirtbag and you have a thought of modifying the card, removing the bad pleather ball, replacing it with a regular leather one and faking a signature to turn a profit? Or spin it slightly different, and replace the bad one with a legit Koufax. For yourself, not a big deal, but for future owners, it could be a huge issue. Or, maybe someone buys it and tries to have the player sign it again, although I feel that would be a losing proposition.

I still have all my faded Garvey cards and although I am NOT HAPPY about the signatures fading away, I do still have the actual cards to check off the checklist. Besides that, I don't think many people will want them in the future, so I am probably stuck with them. I have an abundance of Garvey autographs, so losing a dozen or so is not the end of the world, but it still stings. Koufax is a different story. His cards are limited to begin with and this loss has to sting that much more, just for one copy. However, here was a chance to see just how much someone would pay for this card. You can still faintly see the signature and that may be good enough for a bargain collector, who might otherwise never have the cash for a Koufax. However, I suspect the fading is not done until the signature disappears completely, so there is that.

So, it ended tonight. Any guesses as to what someone paid (before s/h)? I'll leave this up for a bit to see if anyone wants to play and then you can either look it up yourself or I will post the final price after a while.

Such a shame...

31.27.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't price a lot of Koufax stuff, but I know he signs for some stuff each year but it's usually fairly limited. That's faded pretty bad, if we're playing price is right and I can't go over I'd say $110, might be a bit higher but I don't want to over shoot and lose automatically. For me if I were a Koufax/Dodger collector depending on what my budget was i wouldn't mind if that might be my Koufax auto representative because yeah it sucks it's faded like that but for me part of the auto is knowing that person...legend in this case...held that card and wrote on it, resale value won't be higher in the long run but for me it's more of the internal value of it.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Sad story indeed. The design of the card is spectacular with the stadium background, I would personally replace it with a Koufax official Major League Ball signature if it were staying my collection. As to the selling price, I would guess in the $80-100 range.

On a personal note, I remember this set well when it first came out, I was really looking forward to the Tino Martinez autographs as he hadn't been featured for a long time. There was also a dual autograph of Tino Martinez with Don Mattingly which I would have loved to have. However, not only were the autographs faded but I recall they were both signed in different types of pens. Just an ugly card overall.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'd say that the Koufax sold for $50..

Here's a dual I have from that year..
Before & now...

You can see how bad it's fading.. This new scan was from 2 years ago..

Attachments

• 07-ss-dual-red.jpg
    07-ss-dual-red.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 13
  • dual-new.jpg
    dual-new.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 12

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Almost anyone with a collection of cards would buy a Koufax auto for the right price. Maybe you love the Dodgers? Maybe you'd flip it for a profit? Maybe you collect HOFers? Regardless, Koufax was such an iconic player that even those people not interested in any of those categories might still buy one, again assuming the price is right.

I spotted a Sweet Spot Koufax auto /10 on my phone (most of my card browsing is on a desktop, by the way) with an opening bid of 99 cents and thought I would toss out a bid, mainly to see what it might end up at. I had no belief I would win it or that I would even have a shot in my price range, but do this quite often just to see how well things end up selling. I tossed out the bid and filed it away to check later. When I went back on the home computer, I saw why it had been listed at 99 cents. It is one of those UD Sweet Spots that faded badly. I know first hand of that pain, more than I care to admit at times, until I am once again reminded by looking through my box of them and come across all the autos that have faded, some almost completely!

I bought all of them when they were new and the signatures were strong. I needed to get every serial numbered version, of course, as that is how the typical player collector does it. I got multiples of some of the lower print runs too, as I often did and still do when I can swing it. Only after a few years passed, with these all sitting in boxes with no light, did I notice many were fading. By that time, there was nothing that could be done.

So, here is why I am bringing this up again, and reliving the sting of yet another screw job I have gotten in my hobby lifetime. You know the signature is toast, but you also know that only 10 of this particular card was made. As a Koufax or Dodger collector, do you maybe try to fill a gap on the cheap (you hope), knowing you are not buying it for the signature? Thinking a little more deviously, maybe you are a dirtbag and you have a thought of modifying the card, removing the bad pleather ball, replacing it with a regular leather one and faking a signature to turn a profit? Or spin it slightly different, and replace the bad one with a legit Koufax. For yourself, not a big deal, but for future owners, it could be a huge issue. Or, maybe someone buys it and tries to have the player sign it again, although I feel that would be a losing proposition.

I still have all my faded Garvey cards and although I am NOT HAPPY about the signatures fading away, I do still have the actual cards to check off the checklist. Besides that, I don't think many people will want them in the future, so I am probably stuck with them. I have an abundance of Garvey autographs, so losing a dozen or so is not the end of the world, but it still stings. Koufax is a different story. His cards are limited to begin with and this loss has to sting that much more, just for one copy. However, here was a chance to see just how much someone would pay for this card. You can still faintly see the signature and that may be good enough for a bargain collector, who might otherwise never have the cash for a Koufax. However, I suspect the fading is not done until the signature disappears completely, so there is that.

So, it ended tonight. Any guesses as to what someone paid (before s/h)? I'll leave this up for a bit to see if anyone wants to play and then you can either look it up yourself or I will post the final price after a while.

Such a shame...

View attachment 118283

I've seen these even faded sell upwards of $200

I have a bat version I paid well above that but $200 seems to be the area. get it cheaper, great. more expensive, I personally would question the auction

which begs the question.. did you buy it?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I did not buy it. It ended at $31.27, which both surprises me that one would pay so much for nothing, but at the same time after hearing the other guesses, surprises me a little bit that it didn't actually go for more! If it were a Garvey card /10 I did not get at the time, I would probably need to own one, regardless of the condition of the signature. However, I would have a hard time happily paying more than a few bucks for it.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
it went very cheap , even for a nearly 100% faded copy....

holy cow yeah that's super cheap! I was going to use at set filler too, thankfully was outbid a couple times in the 75-100 range in the past and they went well beyond that. maybe the influx of newer koufax autos has had an effect.
Here's the one I do have. I got a great deal from a friend which lessened the shock from it a bit

full

Members online