Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why no hobby love for BCCG graded cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brewerfan99

Sep 7, 2010
Wisconsin
Just wondering why cards graded by BCCG get no love ... because I just bought a 2005 Ryan Braun Bowman Chrome AU graded a 10 for the average price you'd pay for a raw card. I have been tracking sale prices on the 2005 Brauns for several months. If its a BGS graded card the sale price is astronomical compared to BCCG. For instance the last 4 BGS 9.5's all sold for over $200. The lowest price on a 9 was $125 and an 8.5 just sold for $120

I guess my next question is ... is it possible to and would it be worth it to submit an already graded card to BGS to increase its value ( well assuming it grades out at a 8.5 or better )

Let me know guys. Thanks for the read

-al

AK11

May 24, 2010
This topic has been explored many times. The biggest issue with BCCG is the cards within the holders are not necessarily graded at the standard the label says. For a BCCG 10, it claims to be mint or better, but be open to the idea the card could be an 8.5 for example. If you choose to buy BCCG, check the card itself, not the label. Lots of banged up modern cards sitting in BCCG holders. Don't have expectations for a BCCG card to match the condition stated. As for price differences, enough people know your chances with a raw card card are just as good for slabbing as a BCCG card.

brewerfan99

Sep 7, 2010
Wisconsin
The centering looks good and the seller clearly stated the corners are sharp. I guess I'll see for sure when it gets here. Guess I should have made this topic before I bought ::facepalm::

AK11 said:
This topic has been explored many times. The biggest issue with BCCG is the cards within the holders are not necessarily graded at the standard the label says. For a BCCG 10, it claims to be mint or better, but be open to the idea the card could be an 8.5 for example. If you choose to buy BCCG, check the card itself, not the label. Lots of banged up modern cards sitting in BCCG holders. Don't have expectations for a BCCG card to match the condition stated. As for price differences, enough people know your chances with a raw card card are just as good for slabbing as a BCCG card.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
There should be a sticky on here about this because it gets asked a lot and very few people know the deal with BCCG cards. BCCG is a cheaper service offered by BGS that is basically a quick look over and rough grade. The grading itself takes about 2 seconds and only looks for glaring or major flaws. In most cases, the crossover value would be 2 whole points lower than the grade on the label. In fact, most of the BCCG cards you see are the result of bulk graders who choose this as a secondary service to their BGS 9.5's or 10's. Hence the price you paid for the card.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
JVC said:
There should be a sticky on here about this because it gets asked a lot and very few people know the deal with BCCG cards. BCCG is a cheaper service offered by BGS that is basically a quick look over and rough grade. The grading itself takes about 2 seconds and only looks for glaring or major flaws. In most cases, the crossover value would be 2 whole points lower than the grade on the label. In fact, most of the BCCG cards you see are the result of bulk graders who choose this as a secondary service to their BGS 9.5's or 10's. Hence the price you paid for the card.
so basically it's just a scam by Beckett to make more money for offering no real service other than slabbing the card with a ********* grade

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
chashawk said:
JVC said:
so basically it's just a scam by Beckett to make more money for offering no real service other than slabbing the card with a bull shat grade

Not really a scam. You get what you pay for. You pay a lot less for this service and you get a lot less.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
As everyone else stated, they do a quick look and scratches, dings etc are usually not noticed. Alot of people that sub to BCCG, GEM and other third rate graders, do so to get that magical 10 that will fool novices.

From their site..

About BCCG Card Grading

BCCG-graded cards (Beckett Collectors Club Grading) are completely separate and vastly different from the premium BGS- or BVG-graded cards. We can assure you that the same consummate care in handling is followed and consistent industry-leading quality of grading is applied to each and every card. As a result, BCCG-graded cards provide an eye-catching secondary market alternative to other graded card products, reaching a wider audience of fans and collectors. It features a modified numerical grading scale, with each level representing a range of standard conditions (Mint or better, Near mint or better, Excellent or better, etc.).
Furthermore, BCCG-graded cards are perfect for beginning or veteran collectors. Cards of a wide variety of star players are available in BCCG slabs. BCCG-graded cards are a perfect fit for the new collector who wants to be sure he's getting an excellent product from a trusted hobby source.

We also understand the importance of protecting your cards. Every BCCG-graded card is sealed and protected in a superior clear plastic holder whose design is based on the top-quality Beckett Grading Services (BGS) holder. Each holder features a white BCCG label with assigned grade, card serial number and precise card description obtained directly from Beckett's all-inclusive online database of sports cards. A fast and easy BCCG Card Lookup is available for card verification at the No. 1 online source for card collecting products, services and information BCCG has several different characteristics when compared to our BGS/BVG services. The BCCG service does not offer the four category (corners, centering, edges, and surface) break down on the backs of each of the cards. The BCCG service also does not have the half point grading scale which you see in the regular grading services - it is a more simplified grading scale that offers whole point grades only. The cases for BCCG cards are thinner than the BGS/BVG cases and there is no inner sleeve in which the card placed in before being inserted into the holder. Please be assured that our regular graders do grade all BCCG cards so you will be getting a professional Beckett Grading Services opinion from a qualified Beckett grader

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I have only bought one card in their slab and it was a 9. Although I had heard stories about them I figured at worst the card would be an 8. Card was awful. I would be surprised if it graded a 7. Surface scratches and a dinged corner. Will not buy another.

brewerfan99

Sep 7, 2010
Wisconsin
Well I feel like I just got kicked in the nether regions after reading the follow up posts to my question.

Here's hoping that ... once maybe just once an actually decent card was sent to BCCG ... got a 10 and is now in route to my mailbox! ::facepalm:: A guy can hope right.

I suppose in the end the price I paid was average for a raw card. So we'll see ... I may just send it in to BGS and see what it gets graded by the "same graders" BCCG uses. Stay tuned!

-al

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
GarkoCollector said:
Because their grading sucks.
Compare a BGS9 and a BCCG9...not even close. BCCG9 is about a BGS 7 or 7.5 at best

Not true at all. I have bought a number of BCCG9 and 10 cards that were flipped to BGS 9.5 cards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts