Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett Grading Ordeal continues, what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Here is another part of one of his emails. Maybe it would be more productive for me to post every back and forth we have had today to see how they really are. The bottom line in this whole thing is that the damage was caused because they sent the card back to me in a cheap, open penny sleeve when the card was supposed to be encased. I have it right on the receipt where it says "RECASE", and yet he is making it seem like Im complaining about a shipping issue.

"there is nothing I can do for you if you will not allow me to see the card and investigate what happened. I can’t just offer you something without any proof that we mishandled the card or that something happened in shipping, once it left us. If you change your mind, I will need to get the card back in the next week so if the damage happened in shipping, I can file a claim. The option is up to you and I will help any way that I can but it will require you to send the card back. If you don’t want to do that, then there is nothing I can offer. "

Sorry, but I would have to agree with them in the quote.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
You do need to send the card back. I'm relatively sure they're not going to steal it. However, they may compensate you for the card and keep it.

That being said, there are tons of Williams cuts out there....

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Why do they need to have the card in order to investigate whether or not they mishandled it? Is there some sort of nanotech secret video recorder embedded in the card? Let me predict: you send them the card, and in a few months after you call and write them a dozen more times, they decide, after "exhaustive investigation" that they didn't do anything wrong, and you can't prove otherwise, smashed, unslabbed card to the contrary. Sounds like bureaucratic runaround trying to avoid having to pay you for the card, which they obviously should.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Why do they need to have the card in order to investigate whether or not they mishandled it? Is there some sort of nanotech secret video recorder embedded in the card? Let me predict: you send them the card, and in a few months after you call and write them a dozen more times, they decide, after "exhaustive investigation" that they didn't do anything wrong, and you can't prove otherwise, smashed, unslabbed card to the contrary. Sounds like bureaucratic runaround trying to avoid having to pay you for the card, which they obviously should.

This is MallCop's (sorry I dont know your first name) side, and we've already read Beckett's side.

Neither is necessarily wrong in this instance, it just depends on whose side you are taking.

Most businesses will require any item sent back that you are asking for a refund/new item/etc on but you can see where MallCop is hesitant about sending the item back.

XXXXty situation nonetheless.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
"The card was returned to you, removed from the BGS case, per your request."

This would infuriate me. Clearly you never asked them to simply "remove" the card like they specifically say here. You asked for it to be slabbed authentic. This is some shatty customer service in that they are saying you asked for it that way, they're implying that you could be lying about the damage and they accept no blame because "
We ship hundreds of orders out day and for something to be damaged is extremely rare."

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
It sounds like they need the card so that they can file an insurance claim? Am I reading that right?

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
"The card was returned to you, removed from the BGS case, per your request."

This would infuriate me. Clearly you never asked them to simply "remove" the card like they specifically say here. You asked for it to be slabbed authentic. This is some shatty customer service in that they are saying you asked for it that way, they're implying that you could be lying about the damage and they accept no blame because "
We ship hundreds of orders out day and for something to be damaged is extremely rare."

Exactly! Here is another email from him:

"[FONT=&quot]You asked me at the show to return the card ungraded. Take a look at the submission form I gave you at the show. It is noted and circled on that form this request. This is what you requested and what we provided. That is why the card was not in a standard BGS case. You never asked me to send the card back as “Authentic” or I would have been happy to do that for you. I have no idea who you spoke to on the phone or who you worked with originally with the minimum grade request. All I can address is the matter at hand now and what you asked for in Boston.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The picture you sent me shows a card in a semi-rigid card case. This is what we recommend all customers send their cards in because cards can not slide out or around in this case, especially thinker cards. The box you have is not even tall enough for that card to fit in, based on your picture. If you sit the card in that box, in the semi-rigid case, along the box edge, the card would be out hanging out of the boxes top. The cover would not close the way it is in your picture. The most the card would move would be to the top lip of the semi-rigid case and that would be tough to happen, due to the tightness of the case. I am not saying it couldn’t happen but I am saying there is no way the card could come out of a case that much simply due to the boxes height.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As mentioned, we send hundreds of cards out each day, including cards that are not graded and for damage to take place, it is extremely rare. That is why I need to see the card and investigate the situation. Again, the option is up to you to send the card back. If you would rather not do that, then there is nothing I can offer you. "[/FONT]

After I got this email, I took a picture of the card, inside the box, exactly the way it was when I got it
2012-11-14_11-53-10_7921.jpg

He didnt say a word about so when I asked what he had to say about the pictures I sent he said: "[FONT=&quot]This will be my last response about this as we are now going in circles.[/FONT]"

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
If you want resolution you should send them the card and the picture. Write a letter fully explaining the situation and your future desires for the card. Let them search for answers and resolution.

At this point you are going in circles, and posting every email is a bit questionable imho.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'd contact the Better Business Bureau and file a claim.. (or is that your claim that shows up in the BBB records for Beckett dated 11/14/2012?)

Good luck,

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
If you want resolution you should send them the card and the picture. Write a letter fully explaining the situation and your future desires for the card. Let them search for answers and resolution.

At this point you are going in circles, and posting every email is a bit questionable imho.

How so? I was basically called a liar. They should be exposed when things like this happen.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
I'd contact the Better Business Bureau and file a claim.. (or is that your claim that shows up in the BBB records for Beckett dated 11/14/2012?)

Good luck,

I have not heard back from him since I sent the pictures so I guess Ill wait until at least tomorrow but I might look into that if nothing happens. Thanks for the post. Nope, that was not me that filed that one.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
What are your actual damages?

The black border around the autographs is chipped pretty much from top to bottom, the top right front edge is chipped. The back top edge was lifted and basically bent backwards which I have kind of helped by pressing firmly down and trying to get it back into place. The back top right corner is chipped and one of the bottom corners looks "chewed". Im assuming this was caused when they removed the card? It also looks like the holder they had it in was pinching it because this is a really thick card which was jammed into a holder not made for thick cards. The top edge looks frayed and chewed as well. After looking at the surface, there is also some kind of small round indentation where the card was exposed from the holder in the box. The card was only an 8.5 grade but the subs were decent. It was the "8" centering that brought it down that low so obviously these were not there before.

Oh and Im out the $26 I paid to get the card placed into an Authentic holder if it did not get at least a 9.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
The black border around the autographs is chipped pretty much from top to bottom, the top right front edge is chipped. The back top edge was lifted and basically bent backwards which I have kind of helped by pressing firmly down and trying to get it back into place. The back top right corner is chipped and one of the bottom corners looks "chewed". Im assuming this was caused when they removed the card? It also looks like the holder they had it in was pinching it because this is a really thick card which was jammed into a holder not made for thick cards. The top edge looks frayed and chewed as well. After looking at the surface, there is also some kind of small round indentation where the card was exposed from the holder in the box. The card was only an 8.5 grade but the subs were decent. It was the "8" centering that brought it down that low so obviously these were not there before.

Oh and Im out the $26 I paid to get the card placed into an Authentic holder if it did not get at least a 9.

No.

What are your ACTUAL damages. Not the card's damages, YOUR damages. How much money have you lost, assuming Beckett does nothing more for you?

I'm trying to help. If you don't want my help, I won't.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009

I think you may have hit the nail on the head right here - This sounds to me like an unscrupulous BGS employee trying to cover up the fact that he damaged your card while removing it from the 8.5 holder. He then purposely packed it in the small box, pinning the damage on the USPS. He's probably not supposed to pack the card that way, so now he's calling you a liar, not letting you talk to his boss, etc.

Fight the Good Fight! Don't give up!

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
No.

What are your ACTUAL damages. Not the card's damages, YOUR damages. How much money have you lost, assuming Beckett does nothing more for you?

I'm trying to help. If you don't want my help, I won't.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to determine this. I'm not sure how much value was lost but i don't think the card could be sold in good conscience with the problems it now has. Its certainly not worth what it was. The hassle they have put me through should be worth something but I'm not sure how to determine this either.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
I think you may have hit the nail on the head right here - This sounds to me like an unscrupulous BGS employee trying to cover up the fact that he damaged your card while removing it from the 8.5 holder. He then purposely packed it in the small box, pinning the damage on the USPS. He's probably not supposed to pack the card that way, so now he's calling you a liar, not letting you talk to his boss, etc.

Fight the Good Fight! Don't give up!

Its starting to feel that way. Now they are not returning my calls or emails. I'm not sure what my options are at this point.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Hmm, I'm not sure how to determine this. I'm not sure how much value was lost but i don't think the card could be sold in good conscience with the problems it now has. Its certainly not worth what it was. The hassle they have put me through should be worth something but I'm not sure how to determine this either.

Yeah, your hassle is not worth anything. It's obvious that BGS doesn't care about the little guy, so don't expect a lavish outpouring of gifts. Your damages are twofold:

1) SHipping/grading fees paid to Beckett.
2) What the card was worth then and what it's worth now.

I'm gonna Saul Goodman you, here --

Tell me what the card was worth prior (perhaps what you bought it for would be a good estimation) and what you think it is worth now with the damage. The signature itself is fine, it's the card around the signature. I don't think it devalues it as much as you think it might. Don't give me any of that "I don't think in good conscience I can sell it" bullshiz either. You put it on eBay, you describe what's wrong with it, you move on.

This is your total loss. I suspect it is probably less than $200, possibly less than $150.

This is a lot of heartache and XXXXXing and moaning for a buck fifty. Here's what you do:

Give Beckett a chance to redeem themselves. Send them the card. Send the pictrues. As I wrote in a previous msg, send a long detailed EMOTIONLESS, FACT FILLED, description and synopsis was to what happened and who you spoke with. INCLUDE EVERY EXHIBIT OF EVIDENCE YOU HAVE. Mark them. Refer to them.

TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT. Tell them you want money damages or credit for the card. It is possible they will keep the card and offer you insurance proceeds for it. This will take time. Insurance companies move slowly. GIVE THEM OPTIONS AS TO HOW TO MAKE YOU HAPPY.

If they get back to you and tell you to pound sand, advise them again of your demands, send your infiormation to as many people in the BGS chain as you can, and threaten to launch a social media blitz. If you still get nothing, get rid of the card - it has bad memories - buy a new one, and get your $150 or so in retribution by posting your story on every potential site and blog you can find. Just make it factual.

End of the day, it's a piece of paper with some ink on it. They didn't kill your dog.

Last edited:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Its starting to feel that way. Now they are not returning my calls or emails. I'm not sure what my options are at this point.

Send them the card, like they asked and write that letter too, like the others have said. It is what they wanted from you, not a bunch of e-mails and photos.

Not to bag on you but your no doing what they asked, and if I was in their shoes at that point, I would ignore you as well, since it would appear you not following what we would have set-forth for some kind of resolution.

I hope this can lead to a good ending for you And remember cooler heads will prevail.

Members online

Latest posts