Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My 2013 HOF Ballot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I love all of the debate as to the worthiness of this years class being that it is riddled with PED users. I will be happy to justify any selection if someone asks, but here is the players I will be voting for on the ballot I will be sending to Cooperstown. They will immediately discard it because I am not eligible to vote.

Tim Raines
Jeff Bagwell
Mark McGwire
Rafael Palmeiro
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mike Piazza
Craig Biggio
Sammy Sosa

I cannot ever remember there ever being so many worthy candidates. Thanks for reading.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think this class is the worst and not sure I'm 100% on board with any of them getting votes lol... but Tim Raines? I guess give me the 101 for why he should even be mentioned in the same sentence as the HOF?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Mine is the same as yours except I included Schilling. If I could vote for 11, Edgar would be on it. So he goes in next year for me.

Tim Raines
Jeff Bagwell
Mark McGwire
Rafael Palmeiro
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mike Piazza
Craig Biggio
Sammy Sosa
Curt Schilling

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
I think this class is the worst and not sure I'm 100% on board with any of them getting votes lol... but Tim Raines? I guess give me the 101 for why he should even be mentioned in the same sentence as the HOF?

Well...
He his #52 all time in runs, a top 50 in BB, also a top 100 in OBP, as well as for hits.
And #5 all-time in stolen bases.
And he was an all-star for 7 straight years.
And if you prefer new statistics, his WAR was among top 5 in NL in the 80's.
Being from Montreal, i know i am biased, but i can tell you he was the heart and soul of the Expos for 10 years.
Both Gary Carter and Andre Dawson said their stats would have not been the same without him.
Is this enough to make the HOF? I hope so.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If Rickey Henderson had not played at the same time as Tim Raines, he would be in the HOF already.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Well...
He his #52 all time in runs, a top 50 in BB, also a top 100 in OBP, as well as for hits.
And #5 all-time in stolen bases.
And he was an all-star for 7 straight years.
And if you prefer new statistics, his WAR was among top 5 in NL in the 80's.
Being from Montreal, i know i am biased, but i can tell you he was the heart and soul of the Expos for 10 years.
Both Gary Carter and Andre Dawson said their stats would have not been the same without him.
Is this enough to make the HOF? I hope so.

My objective is not to pile on Tim Raines but seriously the dude played like 25 years in the MLB... um okay, so he is top 50 in BB, and top 100 in hits and OBP but he didn't hit any milestones? I'll give you top 5 in stolen bases as being legit but let me guess, he is top 100 for games played and at-bats too?

Ha only kidding about those last two but seriously though... nothing you said is a WOW factor or something where I'm like, dude played over 20 years and just killed it. Also, 7 all-star games is good but again, nothing to write home about... I can think of people who played in 5 all-star games, in half the MLB seasons, who didn't get 10% of the HOF votes ;)

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
My objective is not to pile on Tim Raines but seriously the dude played like 25 years in the MLB... um okay, so he is top 50 in BB, and top 100 in hits and OBP but he didn't hit any milestones? I'll give you top 5 in stolen bases as being legit but let me guess, he is top 100 for games played and at-bats too?

Ha only kidding about those last two but seriously though... nothing you said is a WOW factor or something where I'm like, dude played over 20 years and just killed it. Also, 7 all-star games is good but again, nothing to write home about... I can think of people who played in 5 all-star games, in half the MLB seasons, who didn't get 10% of the HOF votes ;)

Legit questions so i decided to check ;)

#54 in games played
#58 total plate appearances

Also, 170 home runs and 980 RBI are not bad for a guy who was a 1st hitter most of his career.

Last edited:

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Mine is the same as yours except I included Schilling. If I could vote for 11, Edgar would be on it. So he goes in next year for me.

Tim Raines
Jeff Bagwell
Mark McGwire
Rafael Palmeiro
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mike Piazza
Craig Biggio
Sammy Sosa
Curt Schilling

I didn't think Shilling had the great seasons. He had a fantastic post-season career, but his regular seasons were only very good...not great. He misses it by a little for me just like Jack Morris does.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Tim Raines was the NL version of Rickey Henderson. Rickey was excellent for longer and had slightly better numbers, but the 80's were dominated by those two guys from the leadoff spot.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
If Tim Raines makes it in, I will never attend the Hall of Fame again in my lifetime. I will also never go to Mt. Rushmore, I will stop eating Apple Jacks, and I will stand in front of my house holding a Tim Raines sign with a huge red "X" through his name. ANd you can be sure there will be a well worded editorial post at the bottom of the Yahoo Sports page that day! It would be a sham!! (and a shame!)

Rocketman12

Jun 25, 2011
If Tim Raines makes it in, I will never attend the Hall of Fame again in my lifetime. I will also never go to Mt. Rushmore, I will stop eating Apple Jacks, and I will stand in front of my house holding a Tim Raines sign with a huge red "X" through his name. ANd you can be sure there will be a well worded editorial post at the bottom of the Yahoo Sports page that day! It would be a sham!! (and a shame!)

I think the real shame is that Tony Gwynn was elected on the first ballot, but Tim Raines might not make it in at all. Raines had only 87 more plate appearances than Gwynn, but he reached base 22 more times, hit 35 more home runs, scored 188 more runs, and stole 489 more bases while being caught only 21 more times. Sure, Gwynn had 536 more hits and won batting titles because of that, but Raines had 540 more walks and was a vastly more dangerous base runner. He definitely has a case for the Hall of Fame.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I think the real shame is that Tony Gwynn was elected on the first ballot, but Tim Raines might not make it in at all. Raines had only 87 more plate appearances than Gwynn, but he reached base 22 more times, hit 35 more home runs, scored 188 more runs, and stole 489 more bases while being caught only 21 more times. Sure, Gwynn had 536 more hits and won batting titles because of that, but Raines had 540 more walks and was a vastly more dangerous base runner. He definitely has a case for the Hall of Fame.
Oh god, you are really showing your ignorance...Gwynn was a feared hitter for 20 years (one of the most feared "hitters"). Raines was feared for what, eight years??? To compare the two is inexcusable as a baseball fan, a collector and a human being.

Rocketman12

Jun 25, 2011
Oh god, you are really showing your ignorance...Gwynn was a feared hitter for 20 years (one of the most feared "hitters"). Raines was feared for what, eight years??? To compare the two is inexcusable as a baseball fan, a collector and a human being.

I am not the first to compare the two, and I won't be the last to notice that Raines was a more dangerous and probably more valuable player, especially at his peak. Ignorance is not knowing that a walk is just as good as a single, or that a walk plus a stolen base is even better. To be clear, I am not saying that Gwynn doesn't deserve the HOF -- only that Raines and his approximately 500 more BB+SB's are just as worthy.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Lmao, when's the last time Raines won 8 batting titles?

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

I agree with everything in this post.

Members online