Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your Teams worst trades since 2000.....what just eats at you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
As a Cubs fan, there are 2......Cubs Trade Josh Donaldson, Matt Murton, and Sean Gallagher for Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin. Ouch, this one stings, and bad. The second for me is the Cubs drafting Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 draft and netting a whopping $50,000 to send him over to the Reds. I can only imagine how the fortunes of the Cubs would have changed if these two trades wouldn't have happened. So, what are yours????

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Dan Haren for Mark Mulder.

I think about this trade at least every two days during baseball season. Have since it happened.

Piece of XXXX Mulder.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
Napoli for Vernon Wells.....and his entire contract! I thought it was a mean joke when I first heard about it.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
After the 2005 season, the Rangers traded Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young to San Diego for Adam Eaton (the pitcher) and Akinori Otsuka.

A few years later, the Rangers traded another promising first baseman, Chris Davis, to Baltimore for Koji Uejara.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Angels trade skaggs/corbin/saunders for haren. The trade trumbo to get one of them back.
Angels traded segura for greinke.
Angels draft and not sign posey and harvey.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The Dbacks giving up Spivey, Overbay, Craig Counsel, Chad Moeller, Jorge de la Rosa, and Chris Capuano for Richie Sexson crippled the team for a few years in the early to mid 2000's.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Cliff Lee to the Phillies for a pile of garbage - Jason Knapp (out of baseball), Lou Marson (out of baseball), Jason Donald (at best a AAA utility infielder), and Carlos Carrasco (one of the worst starting pitchers in baseball). We got nothing out of that, an everyone knew it. That trade was killed by everyone the minute it happened. At least we got Michael Brantley for CC...

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
The Dbacks giving up Spivey, Overbay, Craig Counsel, Chad Moeller, Jorge de la Rosa, and Chris Capuano for Richie Sexson crippled the team for a few years in the early to mid 2000's.

The dbacks trading Carlos Gonzalez Brett Anderson chris Carter Dana E veland Greg Smith for Dan Harden

How many lopsided trades has this guy been a part of?

Also just about every trade Kevin Towers has made as the dbacks general managet

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Reds trading Josh Hamilton for Edinson Volquez. Volquez had a good 08 season then blew out his elbow, while Hamilton had 5 solid all star years and a 2010 MVP.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The Sox giving up Josh Reddick for Andrew Bailey. This one is really bad now, but it'll get worse if either prospect the Sox also gave up turn into stars (as Reddick did).

The Joel Hanrahan trade was pretty bad as well; giving up on 2013 NL All Star Mark Melancon (who did suck with the Sox but cost them Jed Lowrie) for 9 games of Hanrahan and a 9.83 ERA.

Neither trade crippled the team but the speed at which they went wrong for the Sox was frightening.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I'm pretty sure Mariners fans right now would be calling the Pineda/Campos for Montero/Noesi trade a complete disaster.

I can't think of too many horrible Yankee trades in recent memory. They traded Melancon for Berkman and that worked out for a bit. The Ian Kennedy/Austin Jackson combination getting Granderson back worked pretty well for a couple years, especially considering those guys kinda normalized quickly.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Can't think of any major disasters since 2000 for the Brewers. In fact, most have been major wins (1/2 the Dbacks fr Sexson, Laporta for CC's crazy run, Segura/Hellweg for Greinke who was gone anyway). There's a chance I'm blocking out a horrible memory but overall the Brewers have dealt really well which is good because they've had some less than stellar drafts.

Edit- after some digging to refresh my memory, trading Mark Loretta didn't pan out in return value-wise but that was during a time they had to do something/anything. Rough years.
And of course trading Cirillo and Vina at the end of '99 blew goats but none "crippled" the franchise that was already a joke at the time

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Nothing horrific stands out for the Dodgers since 2000. Had the cutoff been 1998, I would point to the Konerko trade in July, which was preceded by shipping off Piazza in May. I could see trading Piazza - in '97 he only hit .362/40/124.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Josh Hamilton right before he went bonkers for Edinson Volquez.

Volquez was pretty good but Hams would have been huge in Cincy.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I can only go back to 2000?

Curt Schilling for Travis Lee, Vicente Padilla, Omar Daal, Nelson Figueroa

Scott Rolen for Placido Polanco, Mike Timlin and Bud Smith

Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez for Freddy Garcia.

Cliff Lee for J.C. Ramirez, Phillipe Aumont, and Tyson Gilles

Last edited:

Superhuskiefan1

Jan 26, 2010
UW Huskies
Seattle Mariners
2011- Doug Fister and David Pauley for Charlie Furbush, Chance Ruffin, Casper Wells, and Francisco Martinez
Michael Pineda and Jose Campos for Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi
2008- Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Tony Butler, Kam Mickolio for Erik Bedard
2006- Asdrubal Cabrera for Eduardo Perez.
Shin Soo Choo for Ben Broussard

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I know it didn't kill the Phillies, but trading my favorite, Abreu, to the Yankees, for CJ Henry & friends killed me. Luckily, I was in the Philippines at the time of the trade.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
As a Cubs fan, there are 2......Cubs Trade Josh Donaldson, Matt Murton, and Sean Gallagher for Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin. Ouch, this one stings, and bad. The second for me is the Cubs drafting Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 draft and netting a whopping $50,000 to send him over to the Reds. I can only imagine how the fortunes of the Cubs would have changed if these two trades wouldn't have happened. So, what are yours????

When I first read the thread title before reading it, being a Cubs fan, I too first thought about the Donaldson for Harden trade.

As far as drafting Hamilton in the rule 5. At that time, the Cubs were built to win now with that team. They had a bunch of veterans, and didn't have room on the 25 man to try and hide a drug addict trying for a comeback. Before the rule 5, they already had that trade in place with Cincy and without that trade already in place, would've never selected anybody.

Members online

Latest posts