Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebayers are morons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Looks like we are all a bunch of ********. Either we are ******** for charging more than $3 for shipping or we are ******** for giving a rating of less than 5 stars for that $3+ charge.

With that said, cheers ********! What a great hobby we all are involved in!

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I end up paying more for shipping just to get more repeat buyers. I only charge $2.00, and 100% of the time, my postage is more than what I charge. But it's worth getting the 20% off at the end of the day.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Looks like we are all a bunch of ********. Either we are ******** for charging more than $3 for shipping or we are ******** for giving a rating of less than 5 stars for that $3+ charge.

With that said, cheers ********! What a great hobby we all are involved in!

If the charge comes as a surprise, ding away, but if you look at an auction and see its $3.50 and you either click the BIN or win it auction style, and know you are going to ding them whether it comes in a PWE or a golden box, yes you are an *******. Dont agree to pay a price for shipping for something knowing you are going to give less than 5 stars, that is the definition of an ******* move.

To further this discussion, Im curious what your stance is on "sellers communication"?
If I dont talk to you, are you going to give me 1 2 3 4 5 stars?
Because based on your theory above, there has to be a set guideline, right?
I give you warm and fuzzy communication, you give me 5, I dont say a lick to you, you give me 1, or 2, right?

Either way, Id like to hear your side.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I end up paying more for shipping just to get more repeat buyers. I only charge $2.00, and 100% of the time, my postage is more than what I charge. But it's worth getting the 20% off at the end of the day.

I agree with this wholeheartedly
I for one rarely ever charge for shipping, I will either build it into the starting bid, or just eat it.
Worth it in the end.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Free shipping. Some people are gonna be unreasonable and ding your feedback even if you charge 1 penny for shipping. Might as well take the power out of their hands and take the automatic 5 star ebay gives you for free ship.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I love that we're arguing over 50 cents to a dollar. $2.50-3 = fair and completely fine. $3.50 = OH EM GEE, YOU'RE RIPPING ME OFF AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
If the charge comes as a surprise, ding away, but if you look at an auction and see its $3.50 and you either click the BIN or win it auction style, and know you are going to ding them whether it comes in a PWE or a golden box, yes you are an *******. Dont agree to pay a price for shipping for something knowing you are going to give less than 5 stars, that is the definition of an ******* move.

To further this discussion, Im curious what your stance is on "sellers communication"?
If I dont talk to you, are you going to give me 1 2 3 4 5 stars?
Because based on your theory above, there has to be a set guideline, right?
I give you warm and fuzzy communication, you give me 5, I dont say a lick to you, you give me 1, or 2, right?

Either way, Id like to hear your side.

In my mind communication isnt required from a seller unless there will be delays with shipping. On the shipping piece, to echo what others have said, just because you agree to the terms doesn't mean you consider them reasonable. I agree to put gas in my car every week, but I don't consider the prices reasonable.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
As primarily a buyer, I rarely get an email or ebay message from a seller. I bid/BIN/BO something, win/buy/offer and send payment, my item usually shows up within 3-6 business days and the only communication I get is an email from ebay saying the item was either marked as paid & or shipped. <---- does that count as communication from the seller?

Fordman

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
In my mind communication isnt required from a seller unless there will be delays with shipping. On the shipping piece, to echo what others have said, just because you agree to the terms doesn't mean you consider them reasonable. I agree to put gas in my car every week, but I don't consider the prices reasonable.
Ok just so im clear it is ok to go into a transaction knowing you are going to ding someone based solely based on what you know ahead of time, meaning you know if you see an item you want and will bid on and will win, if its over 3 buck you will ding them?

That makes as much sense as me being a cardinals fan and I see you have an item for sale and i see your name is crewfan82 and i hate the brewers and i will ding you regardless of how fast and cheaply and secure you ship my item, ive already decided prior to bidding i will ding yOu 2 stars cause youre a brewers fan. Makes total sense right??

EDIT: before you argue your case, remind you we have both decided ahead of time to ding each other solely based on information known prior to bidding. You knowing i will charge 3.50 and you might get 3.50 worth of service and me knowing you are a brewers fanand i just dont care for brewers fans.

Last edited:

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Ok just so im clear it is ok to go into a transaction knowing you are going to ding someone based solely based on what you know ahead of time, meaning you know if you see an item you want and will bid on and will win, if its over 3 buck you will ding them?

That makes as much sense as me being a cardinals fan and I see you have an item for sale and i see your name is crewfan82 and i hate the brewers and i will ding you regardless of how fast and cheaply and secure you ship my item, ive already decided prior to bidding i will ding yOu 2 stars cause youre a brewers fan. Makes total sense right??

EDIT: before you argue your case, remind you we have both decided ahead of time to ding each other solely based on information known prior to bidding. You knowing i will charge 3.50 and you might get 3.50 worth of service and me knowing you are a brewers fanand i just dont care for brewers fans.

I will highlight one of my other posts for you. It is clear you came in and jumped on the bandwagon without reading the thread. Piss poor brewer fan example by the way. Doesn't relate in the slightest. We are talking service and cost not stereotyping.

"As I said, It is my general rule of thumb and I let common sense prevail. If I buy something nicer with more than $3 shipping and it arrives exceptionally packaged and in a nice case I will most likely leave 5 stars."

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I always give free shipping (bubble mailer, card in sleeve, top loader, team bag, wrapped in paper) and Buy it Nows when I'm selling. I just add a couple bucks onto the price, which i set at or below other finished auctions. Things sell quick that way and there's no hassle.

Free shipping always attracts more buyers. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but buyers hate paying for shipping, no matter what the cost, and Buy it Now is just easier for everyone.
I've never had a complaint in 800 auctions and have 100% feedback.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
If I can't get a card at a price I'm willing to pay with shipping included I move on. I don't ding sellers if they charge more on shipping if I get the card at the price I want. I might ding if it's in a PWE though.

What I don't get is why sellers still use tape. I place the shipping label on the reverse side of the mailer so it covers the flap that some are afraid of being pulled open in transit.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I reuse mailers when selling. When I buy I get USED mailers sent to me. The only way to go. I have a 20 cube box in my garage full of USED mailers.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I reuse mailers when selling. When I buy I get USED mailers sent to me. The only way to go. I have a 20 cube box in my garage full of USED mailers.

Waiting until someone complains about getting a used bubble in 3...2....1....

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Waiting until someone complains about getting a used bubble in 3...2....1....

If the mailers aren't torn from their first mail journey, clean of residual markings, and you use packing tape to make sure the bubble mailer flap remains sealed (instead of relying on the residual adhesive to work on another mail voyage) and you charge $2.25 or less because you have no new bubble mailer expense, I have no problem with used bubble mailers being used if it means I pay less for shipping.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
No bandwagon jumping here, I read the entire thread, always do.
Below are 5 posts by you, 4 of which state you will ding stars, only the 1 you redact saying you reserve judgement to give 5 stars, if "you buy something nicer".
So at an 80% rate of dinging to not dinging posts, yes, I said you will ding in my post.

You go into a transaction with shipping $3+ knowing 9 times out of 10 you will ding them.
My example was pretty relevant. Prejudging based on facts already known. You know seller is charging $3+ and will more than likely ding them if the item in not a nicer item, thats your term by the way. I know your user name and dislike it, just like you dislike the fees, and we both bid and ding anyways. You agree to a charge, all you should care about is that the item makes it from Point A to Point B in the same condition the auction shows, nothing else should matter, new or old bubble mailer, new or old top loader, $1 vs $5 in costs, etc.

I will highlight one of my other posts for you. It is clear you came in and jumped on the bandwagon without reading the thread. Piss poor brewer fan example by the way. Doesn't relate in the slightest. We are talking service and cost not stereotyping.

"As I said, It is my general rule of thumb and I let common sense prevail. If I buy something nicer with more than $3 shipping and it arrives exceptionally packaged and in a nice case I will most likely leave 5 stars."

I ding anyone who charges over $3 for shipping one star.

Of course I am naturally going to think someone charging $3.50 for shipping only deserves 4 stars for reasonable shipping charges. If I were to give you 5 stars how would I properly score someone who ships free?

Nothing personal, but it isn't the buyers problem that you don't know how to buy smart on your materials and control your shipping cost.

Just to confirm, by ding one star, I mean I give them 4 stars. I don't only give them a single star. If I did that I would agree that I am an *******.

My general rule of thumb is to only give 4 stars on any shipping charge over $3. I shouldn't cost more than that to ship a card. I do let common sense prevail, and I am reasonable. I have used those garbage mailers you mentioned for years and have had zero issues. 100% Positive 1000+ feedback.

Now feel free to continue on referring to others as morons and ******** just because they don't do things exactly how you think they should be done.

I DON'T care how much it costs YOU. If you want to ship in pricey mailers and one touches to be safe that is your choice. I know how much it should cost to ship a single card from point A to point B; so anything more than that is unreasonable in my mind and my justification for giving 4 stars. I reserve 5 stars for free shipping and shipping charges less than $3.

As I said, It is my general rule of thumb and I let common sense prevail. If I buy something nicer with more than $3 shipping and it arrives exceptionally packaged and in a nice case I will most likely leave 5 stars. I never said I adjust my max bid. I was referring to what almost every eBay buyer does. It is a fact shipping charges will be factored into what a buyer is willing to pay; so you don't really gain anything by charging shipping.

I will say it again. Free Shipping is the way to go. Then all those morons can't give you less than five stars. That should have value to you because you obviously care a great deal about those stars.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Am I wrong to be pissed?

The short answer would be, in my opinion, "YES". When on eBay I mainly purchase and I rate the seller based on "my" experience, not what your expectations are for that transaction. If you're going to be a seller and you make the choice to ship at a certain rate then the buyer will rate the transaction based upon their experience. Remember "Every choice you make has an end result."

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
My packaging for eBay:

http://www.esupplystore.com/00--5x10-Kraft-Paper-Bubble-Mailers-250ct_p_2380.html

250 for $27 or $0.11 each.

http://www.esupplystore.com/200-85x55-Address-Labels_p_106.html

200 for $19 or $0.10 each

Toploaders and team bags are typically recycled from other items I purchase.

Shipping a 3 oz. item on eBay is $1.93

$1.93 + $0.11 + $0.10 = $2.14

No need to additional fuel charges, if you have a mailbox the USPS will pick up from you.

I always charge $2.50 per item unless its a large lot or oversized item.

Over the last 12 months I have 320 positive ratings and my average rating for Shipping and handling charges is 4.8.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I only leave less than five stars on shipping if the item was improperly packaged, or if they charge $3-$4 for a pwe. Other than that, I have no issues.

Members online

Latest posts