Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebayers are morons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I agree with the others that you need to stop sending 1-touches. While it's a very nice thing to do, I think the only people who would appreciate your effort in sending a card in one would be the hard core collectors. The average Joe, or wife who's buying a card for their husband and knows nothing about cards, could care less what it comes in so you may as well put them in a penny sleeve/top load/in between either index cards or cardboard.

I've been contemplating doing what Lambet is doing and just raise the starting point in my auctions and then offer free shipping. Seems like most people see "free shipping" on something and immediately think they are getting a better deal. Question for you though (lambert)....do you do auctions or bin's? I only sell a little bit on e-bay and use the free listings every month for auctions and it costs me .30 I believe to do bin/bo.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I stopped charging for shipping long ago. Its really the only way to go unless its something really expensive that needs a lot of insurance. But even then most times i just cover that. And i agree, stay away from shipping in one touches. not worth it.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
It DOES cost more than that to ship one card, as I've clearly explained.

So humor me and explain your justification for dinging anyone who charges over $3 for shipping, especially after stating you adjust your max bid based on what the seller charges for shipping.

...this was the beef of my original complain. Justify your actions

I DON'T care how much it costs YOU. If you want to ship in pricey mailers and one touches to be safe that is your choice. I know how much it should cost to ship a single card from point A to point B; so anything more than that is unreasonable in my mind and my justification for giving 4 stars. I reserve 5 stars for free shipping and shipping charges less than $3.

As I said, It is my general rule of thumb and I let common sense prevail. If I buy something nicer with more than $3 shipping and it arrives exceptionally packaged and in a nice case I will most likely leave 5 stars. I never said I adjust my max bid. I was referring to what almost every eBay buyer does. It is a fact shipping charges will be factored into what a buyer is willing to pay; so you don't really gain anything by charging shipping.

I will say it again. Free Shipping is the way to go. Then all those morons can't give you less than five stars. That should have value to you because you obviously care a great deal about those stars.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
You should NEVER penalize anyone for a purchase agreement that you entered into with another person not meeting your expectations. There's an option called "do not bid" if you aren't satisfied with any aspect of the potential transaction. Bidding on someone's item where the shipping is clearly stated and then penalizing them for it after the transaction is complete is an ******* move regardless of your rationale. It's abuse of the system.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'll use a 1/1 as an example here, because anything short of that and you could potentially find it elsewhere.

If someone is selling something that I want, I have no choice but to accept their terms, even if they are considered unreasonable. We are weak and imperfect, so we give in to our desires. I may not agree or like it, but I am willing to accept those terms to get the item I want. Do I still need to rate them the same as someone with reasonable terms? No.

I think when you sell on ebay, you open yourself to a wide variety of expectations. The more you can do to minimize your exposure to disappointments from buyers, the better off you'll be. in the end, you probably won't be able to avoid a few bad transactions where nothing you can do will satisfy the buyer, but more times than not you will come out with a win.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
That's an insane price for a bubble mailer. In Washington we have winco. I buy 4x7's at 39 cents each. I'm too drunk to read the rest of what you wrote but that's the first issue i came across. Find a good supplier.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
You should NEVER penalize anyone for a purchase agreement that you entered into with another person not meeting your expectations. There's an option called "do not bid" if you aren't satisfied with any aspect of the potential transaction. Bidding on someone's item where the shipping is clearly stated and then penalizing them for it after the transaction is complete is an ******* move regardless of your rationale. It's abuse of the system.

Just because you're willing to pay that amount doesnt make it reasonable. The ******* move in my opinion is over charging for shipping.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Five stars is a perfect score. $3 is 3 more than free. Giving you a 5 star shipping grade would be moronic. 4 is an 80, avg or even above avg in most classes. 3.50 is below avg for shipping on eBay. You may be getting over graded.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Just because you're willing to pay that amount doesnt make it reasonable. The ******* move in my opinion is over charging for shipping.

And the thing is , in this case , is that he is overcharging because he is paying to much for the supplies / cases. Since it seems JH isn't trying to pocket and s/h, reduce the cost , reduce your charge to the buyer.

Ryan

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Yeah, you are not "overcharging" in the sense of profiting from your charge.

But you are overcharging compared to the cheapest method of shipping safely.

I paid 12c a pop for #00 bubble mailers in bulk, decent quality. toploader and team bag is just as safe as a one-touch for shipping and should be about 4c a pop in bulk.

Some of your buyers probably appreciate the extra-nice mailer and one-touch... they're the ones that give you 5 stars.

The ones that give you 4 stars would have rather saved the $1 and ship in a toploader and cheap bubble.

Both points of view are reasonable.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
As I type this, I can honestly say I have OVER 150 one touch, one screw, four screws card holder I received from sellers. Not that I'm complaining but I have no use for this things. Every now and then I go and give this things to my LCS. Some of this things are brand new, some are slightly used and some over used. I don't care what condition they are on, I have no use for them.

Just because other collector's collect and store in a different way than you (YOU in general, not YOU - YOU) doesn't mean it's wrong. Just like other sellers ship in a way that's different than you doesn't make yu right or wrong, just different.

I'm not sure if you guys read the part when he typed "If I was giving you 5 stars for charging me $3.50 for shipping, how many stars do you give the FREE shippers?"... Or something to that effect. I agree with him.

Anyone on here want to Paypal me $5 (for gas and supplies) PLUS the actual cost of shipping of all the One touch, one screw, four screws or whatever else is out there, please feel free to PM me. You can give me the four stars for charging you the extra $5 when you get them. Bare in mind that you will be getting DIFFERENT BRANDS AND THICKNESS of these thingies.

Just my .02 cents.....

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
In the new seller standards the stars for shipping costs dont even account for anything. Don't worry about them.

But I am in the camp that if you agreed to the price then you shouldn't leave less than 5 stars.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Question for you though (lambert)....do you do auctions or bin's? I only sell a little bit on e-bay and use the free listings every month for auctions and it costs me .30 I believe to do bin/bo.
Yes, I usually do just auctions. Once in a while I do a BIN or best offer. To me eBay (unfortunately) is the best way to gauge what the market price is. So if I list an item for $30 and it doesn't sell after a few times, I will drop it a little. But since many times it's just timing and getting the right buyer to see the item since maybe they were away, it usually does sell at the price I was hoping for. Good luck!

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
If someone is charging more for shipping than what I know it cost them to ship (it's not hard to do the math) I will not give them 5 stars. Me agreeing to buy a card does not make me obligated to like what I paid for shipping. Why the hell would they have a rating system in place for shipping if you weren't supposed to rate a seller against past (sometimes cheaper/better) experiences?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Basically you are offering concierge services in a motel that rents by the hour. If you feel you are justified in charging $3.50 but ebayers are morons for dinging you for what you charge, don't complain about it here. Put this whole paragraph in your auctions:

It's not like my charge is exorbitant. It costs $2.01 to mail a 4oz package through Paypal shipping. The only place that carries Caremail #0 mailers charges $12.99 for a package of 10. So I'm up to $3.30 per package on cards I charge $3.50 to ship. Anything I sell for over $20 (which is nearly every card I sell) is shipped in a one-touch. At the LCS, those are $25 for a box of $25. So now I'm losing 80 cents on everything I ship. Not to mention the cost of packing tape, gas to get to the PO, graded card sleeves, printer ink and paper, etc. This is getting ridiculous. I don't have the space nor inventory to buy 1000 mailers at a time. I do this out of my room at night.

They won't read it, but you'll have a reason to feel even more indignant.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I don't feel like reading this entire thread but why in the world would someone ship every card in a one-touch? So you pay over a $1 per holder just to ship it in or you could pay $1 for 25 toploaders. I can't wrap my head around that. Maybe the op explained it but I don't get it. And I buy my mailers on ebay like most people. I pay a little more for the quality ones so it's about $.09 per. Never had one rip or torn as you can tell from my perfect feedback with over 10,000 transactions.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Free shipping (with shipping built into your starting bid) is the way to go, you get 5 automatically every time

Now...........for those of you that ding shipping charges because you wont give anything more than 4 stars for anything over $3 is just assinine.
You look at an auction, you see shipping is $3.50, you say Im going to bid anyways cause I want this item, HOWEVER no matter how nicely and timely it is received, I will give 4 stars!!! I have to agree with Will, you ARE an *******. Adjust your max bidding amount to take shipping costs into consideration and STOP being an *******.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
As more of a buyer than seller on eBay, I take other factors into consideration.

1) I (as many have as well) have paid more to ship a card than what I paid for the card.
2) Consider where the card is coming from
3) How it's shipped in the description.
4) Have a personal understanding that $2-$4 is relatively cheap to ship a card from Arizona to Ohio. That is $0.002 per mile, so a card has to travel 5 miles before it cost me a penny.
5) Not always, but if the shipping info isnt listed in the description, I'll email or ask the question of how it will be shipped. Email is free and doesnt cost you anything. Also, look at seller's feedback and see if they have had any shipping issues in the last 10-20 transactions.

I take all the above into consideration and make my purchases knowing that I cant go to my local LCS or card show and buy that exact card that I'm buying off eBay because my LCS or card show doesnt have it. So if I really want it for my collection, then I'll do the extra homework and if all looks good, pay the shipping charge.

The only time I have felt over charged on shipping was when I paid $3.95 and a PWE showed up with two forever stamps on it, I gave the seller three stars.

To the original OP: Maybe offer different levels of shipping. Selling $1-$20 cards and buying a one touch plus extra padded envelope plus postage seems excessive to me, the buyer. If the cards you are selling are high dollar then offer the one touch and better envelope, but let the buyer know that there is additional handling charges.

Just my $0.02

Fordman

Latest posts