Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Elijah Dukes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
Since we are getting pissed off at Dukes for accepting the money from the Little League, why arent you going nuts over the fact the nationals will accept $501 from the same Little League? I mean hell, they are worth at least a few thousand dollars more than Elijah Dukes, but its cool for them to accept the cash?

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
cgilmo said:
Dukes was indeed scum

Apparently he wants to change that, and should have opportunity to do so.

Agreed boss. And to the point about he shouldn't get paid to give an appearance, I disagree entirely, especially given the modest amount of cash that was paid. For all we know, he was paid an appearance fee as part of a fundraiser, which could have yielded more money for fields and equipment.

Last year I would've been the last guy to defend him, I thought he was too far gone and would never change. He's showing that not only is he willing to clean up his act, but he's actively working towards doing it. Now the Nats have sent a message that seems like it could be the first domino that sends him back on a downward spiral, and for all the wrong reasons.

It would be one thing if he shows up an hour late to the game under the guise of doing charity work. Five minutes could be as simple as missing a few traffic lights. The fact that the little league was impressed enough with his appearance that they're willing to foot the bill for his fine is also telling that he probably went above and beyond what they might have expected. The Nats have bigger fish to fry than Elijah Dukes right now.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Jeff, my last question for you. It's quite simple, but take your time...

If Cole Hamels was to appear at a little league function, where you son belongs. He is offered $500 for his time by the head of the board, and he accepts it.

Do you blast him publicly because he took the money?

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Kutzy said:
Since we are getting pissed off at Dukes for accepting the money from the Little League, why arent you going nuts over the fact the nationals will accept $501 from the same Little League? I mean hell, they are worth at least a few thousand dollars more than Elijah Dukes, but its cool for them to accept the cash?

who is agreeing with the nats keeping that money?

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Kutzy said:

I have yet to see a single person disagree with it. We are publicly bashing Elijah Dukes for accepting cash from them, why dont people stop being hypocrites and start talking about the Nats as well.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jeff, my last question for you. It's quite simple, but take your time...

If Cole Hamels was to appear at a little league function, where you son belongs. He is offered $500 for his time by the head of the board, and he accepts it.

Do you blast him publicly because he took the money?

I answered this before, and I've said it about 5 times in this thread. No MLB player should take money from a little league for an appearance. Period.

Yes, I would blast Hamels as well as the rest of my board members.

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
The worst thing about all of this is if the Nats had simply not created this story and kept it in house, there wouldnt be a backlash. However, since they cant do a single thing right this year, they only make themselves look worse.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Kutzy said:
justinmandawg said:
Kutzy said:

I have yet to see a single person disagree with it. We are publicly bashing Elijah Dukes for accepting cash from them, why dont people stop being hypocrites and start talking about the Nats as well.

Have the Nats made a response saying they were going to accept the money?

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Kutzy said:
justinmandawg said:
Kutzy said:

Yes they have, anything more than $501 they plan on donating to the SE DC Little League.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
To me it seems as though everybody is missing the point. Who cares if he took the money or not, the fact is he showed up late to his JOB to make extra money at a personal appearance! That's why he should be punished. Who in the hell gets to show up late for their job because they're doing something else to make themselves money? I'm willing to bet that wouldn't fly with any of the employers of the board members in this thread. He chose to take the $500 rather than show up to the game on time, and he should be punished by his employer just like the rest of us would be.

And yes, so should Cole Hamels if he shows up late. No, I wouldn't be bothered by my kid being talked to by Hamels because he hasn't been arrested for beating women and smoking dope. At least not that I know of, LOL!

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Kutzy said:
justinmandawg said:
Kutzy said:
justinmandawg said:
Kutzy said:

Yes they have, anything more than $501 they plan on donating to the SE DC Little League.

Then they are fools. As soon as that hits the air, people are going to crap bricks.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
Give Dukes a break he did nothing wrong here.

1) Its not like he is running around saying look at me I do charity.
2) He was 5 minutes late while at a charity event speaking to kids.

The money he received has nothing to do with anything. So he got paid. Obviosuly this is somewhat common practice. And I'm sure if they could get someone else without paying they would have.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
WJCIII said:
To me it seems as though everybody is missing the point. Who cares if he took the money or not, the fact is he showed up late to his JOB to make extra money at a personal appearance! That's why he should be punished. Who in the hell gets to show up late for their job because they're doing something else to make themselves money? I'm willing to bet that wouldn't fly with any of the employers of the board members in this thread. He chose to take the $500 rather than show up to the game on time, and he should be punished by his employer just like the rest of us would be.

And yes, so should Cole Hamels if he shows up late. No, I wouldn't be bothered by my kid being talked to by Hamels because he hasn't been arrested for beating women and smoking dope. At least not that I know of, LOL!

I take it you are a saint and have led the almighty perfect life. Good for you man! Dalai Lama posts on the FCB! :?

People can change. Accept it and embrace it. It's a part of life and if you were in their shoes, you would want the same. Most people deserve chances to redeem themselves in life. It's people like you that don't give them any chance to make the first steps.

Kutzy

Sep 2, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Kutzy said:
justinmandawg said:
Kutzy said:
justinmandawg said:
[quote="Kutzy":3rzr9jeb]Since we are getting pissed off at Dukes for accepting the money from the Little League, why arent you going nuts over the fact the nationals will accept $501 from the same Little League? I mean hell, they are worth at least a few thousand dollars more than Elijah Dukes, but its cool for them to accept the cash?

Then they are fools. As soon as that hits the air, people are going to crap bricks.[/quote:3rzr9jeb]

I kinda gave bad info there. The LL plans on raising money, anything more than that, they plan on donating to the SE DC LL. The Nats will still accept the money because, "We don't care how the money comes to us, because we don't keep the money," he said. "We give it to the clubhouse kids who are needy, or the extra coaches to help with their housing. It's not something [where] we're going to go out for wings and beers."

70Chip

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
Dukes was indeed scum

Apparently he wants to change that, and should have opportunity to do so.

I agree with Chris 100%. We all have screwed up in our past (on different levels of course) and hopefully grown and learned from our experiences. Dukes was doing an event for little league kids which I think is awesome - not hanging out at a tittie bar. The Natinals (new spelling) should have kept this in house and with the extenuating circumstances maybe look the other way on this. Just my humble opinion.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
WJCIII said:

I take it you are a saint and have led the almighty perfect life. Good for you man! Dalai Lama posts on the FCB! :?

People can change. Accept it and embrace it. It's a part of life and if you were in their shoes, you would want the same. Most people deserve chances to redeem themselves in life. It's people like you that don't give them any chance to make the first steps.

I never said I was a saint, but I've never hit a female or smoked dope (the first being a much bigger issue than the second), and my problem with it is that I'm not sure he won't do it again. Like I said, if we're 3 or 4 years down the road and there's been no more issues like this, then I wouldn't have any problem with it. I'm just not convince yet.

Again, I'm all about chances, but I also believe those chances shouldn't be infinite. People feel the way they do about this guy because of his actions, nothing more and nothing less.

Peace and love, Adam :D

Members online

Latest posts