Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

March 2024 Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Dry spell with O'Neill, but a couple of eBay bargain BIN pickups:
1. 2001 Bowman Chrome El Duque Gold Refractor /99 ($4.25 + free S/H) -- didn't expect to win this
2. 2004 Elite Gold Auto Phil Hughes RC /25 ($6.79 + free S/H) -- Hughes was a big deal 20 years ago on the Beckett message boards as a member/collector, also a member of the 2009 WS winning team. Thought this was a great price for one of his most limited signed rookies.

dueq.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
OK, I got the pair for $3.99 each, plus around $5 s/h. I know porcelain isn't exactly the hottest card material to collect, but apparently most people believe these are not real autographs! I have multiples of each, but at that price, I am buying these every time.
Seaver.jpgR Jackson.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
032824-1.jpg
Another 2024 '89 auto. 2016 Topps Vintage Mark Canha 15/99 gets me within 5 of completing the team set.

032824-2.jpg
Somebody put a bunch of signed '88 Topps cards up on eBay recently and I was able to grab Jeff Dedmon and Mark Clear, the last two "common" autographs I needed. Neither guy is an impossible signature, and I see plenty of signed 1988 cards of them, but for whatever reason it took years to find 1988 Topps specifically.

That gets my autographed 1988 Topps needs down to 12. All the remaining cards I am only going to buy if they are authenticated, and the vast majority will cost me over $100. the dirty dozen:

Don Mattingly - regular card and Record Breaker - I have an uncertified All-Star auto of him already. I'll get a regular card sooner or later...just got outbid on a PSA/DNA one at a hundred bucks. But the Record Breaker is another matter, those hardly ever show up.

Chuck Finley - This is one I wouldn't pay triple digits for. He's a tough signature but unauthenticated '88 Topps autos show up from time to time. Biding my time for an authenticated one at a price I'm willing to pay.

Kirby Puckett - I have a PSA/DNA All-Star card but I need the regular card. It'll probably cost me a couple hundred.

Damaso Garcia - This is the one that will ultimately keep me from completing the set. He was an MLB regular through 1986, didn't play in the majors in 1987 (so I don't know why he's in the '88 Topps set!), played only 20 games for the Braves in 1988, 80 for the Expos in 1989, then a year later was diagnosed with a brain tumor that severely impaired him so no signatures after that. He passed away in 2020. His signatures from 1986 and before aren't super expensive, but if an authenticated '88 Topps autograph showed up I imagine it would go for a ton...this is the single card from the set I've never seen signed.

Carmen Castillo - Tough signer who passed away in 2015.

Barry Bonds - Not impossible to find but it'll probably end up costing me a few hundred bucks.

Donnie Moore - One of the three toughest with Castillo and Garcia. I've seen a couple of unautheticated '88 Topps autos that looked legit but I really need some third party assurance with this one. Not too difficult to find '88 Donruss but Topps is elusive. Moore shot his wife (she survived) then offed himself in July, 1989.

Gary Carter - These don't show up as often as I would have thought. Tough and a popular signature.

Nolan Ryan Turn Back the Clock - I have the regular and Record Breaker cards, but he has 3 dang cards in the set. Who would want to get the ugly Turn Back the Clock card signed?

George Brett - Another one that does not show up as often as you'd think, and his signatures are quite popular.

Bo Jackson - Not nearly as common to find signed as his '88 Topps football RC, and quite pricey.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nice Sheehan. I am waiting for one to popup at a good price. As more autos surface of him, the prices drop. I wanted the Jonny Deluca as well. I ended up winning 4 of them after I saw a couple of the cheaper BIN/BO cards disappear quick. i offered on 4 different thinking I'd lose most and all 4 accepted! Doh!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Aparicio /100. Aparicio 100 mrm.jpg

McDowell Recollection. May it seems like another world when Black Jack McDowell was a hot commodity. He was in the same conversation as Maddux and Mussina for a couple seasons in the mid 90s.McDowell.jpg

Members online

Latest posts