Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

April 2024 Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Have a big pile of stuff from the last few weeks, here's the highlights...

041924-1.jpg
The big hitters. 1998 Stadium Club First Day Issue Jose Canseco 018/200 - these are of course much tougher than you'd expect a /200 card to be. 2017 Topps Update Black Matt Chapman RC 25/66 - gets my 2017 needs down to 1, which is of course the Matt Olson RC, ouch. 2006 UD Special F/X Red Frank Thomas 46/50 - I still need 8 for this large team set but this was the big one and the rest should be cheap when I can find them. I already have the complete Purple/150 team set and am only missing the Frank Thomas from the Green/99 team set. I think I only have a couple of Blues so those aren't even really on my radar at the moment.

041924-2.jpg
1996 Trent Dilfer "Men of Destiny" Jumbo Phone Card 491/500. I already have the base version/4000, and have never seen the Gold/1000. I had never heard of the jumbo version so I grabbed it right away when I saw it. The same seller already has another one up on eBay, ha. At least I didn't pay a lot.

041924-3.jpg
2000 Bowman Chrome Refractor Roberto Vaz completes the team set and completes all base Refractor parallels for the first 25 years of Bowman Chrome 1997-2021 inclusive of Bowman/Bowman Chrome/Bowman Draft, all base, Prospect, and Prospect/Rookie autographs. Why this one was so hard to find, who knows. Thanks to @WizardofOz1982 and @Dazed for looking through their own cards...I ended up finally finding this one on the Beckett Marketplace and gladly paid $7 shipped for it.

041924-4.jpg
Some other team set completers: 1996 Stadium Club Extreme Players Gold McGwire (completes the 1996 Stadium Club A's "rainbow" of base/Silver/Members Only/Extreme Bronze/Extreme Silver/Extreme Gold), 2005 Playoff Prestige Xtra Bases Red/150 Dave Stewart (took forever to find this one for some reason), and 2005 Donruss Red Press Proofs/200 Mike Rouse.

041924-5.jpg
1934 Goudey Marcum and Higgins gets me 1 away from the team set, but the one I need is Jimmie Foxx. I don't feel like paying $300 for that at the moment so it will stay incomplete for now.

041924-6.jpg
Several Bowman Chrome Blue Refractors I needed.

041924-7.jpg
Some various other goodies. Cespedes gets me within one of 2014 Topps Camo/99 (just missing a leaders card), Everidge drops my 2008 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor needs to 6, this is the first Bill North 1994 MCI card I've ever seen and while I would prefer a clean copy I'll take the signed version, 2004 DOnruss Career Stat Line TC Zito 19/36 completes the 16-card team set that is mostly serial numbered out of 200 to 300, and lastly a 2023 Topps '88 Gold Auto/50 Cal Stevenson.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Tiant and Skowron Tiant Skowron mrm.png
Andre Reed /25 Recollections or whatever this version of buyback is called. A Reed 25.png

I porefer the sealed cases to be included, but this is one of the better archive cards. They just don't do enough older vintage stuff. It's easier to store with the majority of my signed cards this way at least.

Bench /15. I feel like I got a pretty good deal. 1979 OPC. Buyback.

Bench 15.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This may be one of my better mail days in a bit. Nothing most people would care much about, but a couple really key items for my collection and a couple new Dodger autos. She my Dodger post for the other half.

Rice Recollections /28
Rice 28.png
Griffey Trade/Redemption card (Electric Diamond Version). This would have been good for a complete set of ED Next Generation cards. This was a pretty good card to pull back in 1994 and a cool one to have as well.
Griffey UD Trade.png

And the major news of the day and a huge upgrade for me. This may just motivate me to really try harder to complete the set. Nolan Ryan Penn Emblem Patch! I had a dirty one and this is an upgrade that I got at an amazing price. Right time, right place and a BIN. Its one ugly item, but these were not exactly aesthetically accurate when issued.
Ryan Penn.png

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
An early 10th anniversary gift from my wife since we will be out of town on the actual date and it's probably best not to pack this across the country and back:

042324-1.jpg 042324-2.jpg
T205 Gold Border Eddie Collins "Mouth Open" variation completes the 13-card team set. That goes nicely with my T206 team set (minus the Plank SP).

Might as well show off the rest of the HOFer cards from both sets:

t205bakerf.jpg t205benderf.jpg t205collinsclosedf.jpg

t206collins.jpg t206benderportraitf.jpg t206bendernotrees.jpg

t206benderpitchingf.jpg t206bakerf.jpg

CardBoredom

Nov 21, 2021
Virginia
1990 Donruss Aqueous Test #198 Paul O'Neill -- I understand these have a different feel to them. Don't have it in hand yet, does it look legitimate? Appears printed and not stamped.
Looks good as far pictures go. Each part of the "AQUEOUS TEST" should match up exactly with the placement on all other Paul O'Neill Aqueous cards. The placement matches the publicly viewable one in the PSA Set Registry. The difference in feel is very slight and not something I would personally use to verify authenticity (I'm just not that skilled). When you get the card in hand, look at the Aqueous Test printing in a strong light and see if it appears to be part of the same layer of ink as the black text in the stats table. If so, I think you're good to go. Great card, congrats!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Krause /15. Krause 15.png

I was showing these off on Dodger thread before, but he never actually played for them in the bigs and its not a Dodger card, so he was demoted to this thread.
J Downs 50.png

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
1990 Donruss Aqueous Test #198 Paul O'Neill -- I understand these have a different feel to them. Don't have it in hand yet, does it look legitimate? Appears printed and not stamped.

View attachment 356116View attachment 356115

I have a few Aqueous cards (PSA graded and ungraded) and I really can't tell any difference between them and the regular cards aside from the "AQUEOUS TEST" on the back. I wouldn't use a different feel as evidence unless you have a ton of experience handling legit Aqueous cards, since it might feel slightly different because it's counterfeit.

That being said, I don't mess around with ungraded copies of these due to possible fakes...the only ungraded one I have is somebody that actually turned up on this board with a pile of them and seemed legit to me.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Another big pickup for me:

042524-1.jpg 042524-2.jpg
1998 Circa Thunder Rave 118/150 Rickey Henderson. This completes not only the 1998 team set, but the entire 4-year run of Rave/150 parallels 1996-1999. Raves were the first serial numbered parallel set when they were introduced in 1996 (though not the first parallel set that rare since '96 Select Certified Mirrors came out earlier that year). It was a lower end product so it's weird that it has that little piece of hobby history. I remember buying baseball and football packs trying (and failing) to pull one back in the day, then in the early days of eBay picking up A's and Trent Dilfer Raves, so it's cool to finally finish off the run. They were not as popular as I would have expected them to be, however the 1998 and 1999 Super Rave/25 cards do sell for a lot...I only have two or three of those and don't go after them fervently. The sets are kind of ugly and the 1999 set is famously stupid for its attempt at "street" language on the card backs, so that probably doesn't help.

I'm really shocked I won this particular card - it was put up for auction and was bid up close to $200 in a couple of days, then the seller cancelled it for some reason and immediately relisted. I set a snipe around $250, which is higher than I would usually go but it was the last card I needed and it's Rickey. I figured I would be outbid, but I won it for $100. There have been some '96 and '97 Rickey Raves that sold in the $200-250 range recently so no idea what happened here, but I'll take it.

Here's the other big 1996-99 A's Rave cards:

mcgwire96circaravec.jpg mcgwire97circarave.jpg canseco97circarave.jpg rickey99skythunrave.jpg
(yeah the 1999 Rickey might technically be a Mets card but I go by uniform so it's an A's card to me)

Members online

Latest posts