Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 Select

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Seems low. They're nice cards you never see!

98PINNACLECERTGOLD.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Agreed, seems low but may 2008 wasn't a great time to be putting money into cardboard (although stocks couldn't have been much better).

Tuna, thanks for the info. Were you the lucky winner by chance?

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Agreed, seems low but may 2008 wasn't a great time to be putting money into cardboard (although stocks couldn't have been much better).

Tuna, thanks for the info. Were you the lucky winner by chance?

No problem, and I wish! I would have paid that in a heartbeat... not sure how I missed that card :confused:

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Such a great looking set. I must track down a Select Numbers of Bonds one of these days. I believe I've only seen one listed on ebay over the last few yeras.

DaBaddestHic

Aug 16, 2013

I saw one of these, or something like it, in a random auction of Tony Gwynn cards a few years ago. Unfortunately, the auction was ending soon after I saw it and it wasn't until after it ended that I realized what was really in it. Man I was kicking myself for not putting a bid in on that one. (I think the lot went for <$10).

Jhileman79

Nov 28, 2014
Here is my Jeter Select Numbers. One of my favorite cards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 48

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I have a Select Scott Rolen and Travis Lee inbound from a lot of promos I bought. I'll have to do some research.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Been a few years and with all the new 1998 Select ( and Pinnacle Cert ) Cards Popping Up Figured it be a Good Time To Bump This Thread Back Up.........

98_Select_Sheet_2.jpg

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
Does any have or know if tony gwynn select numbers exist? It is listed. To my knowledge (3 out of the 4 stars exist)!

I️ have 3 different gwynns and one seems to have maybe 3-5 people that have and I️ believe the other two I️ have no one else has.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Not mine but I saved these scans a while back.

i-TgFgWCV.jpg
i-PKLXhqj.jpg

i-35nBs4N.jpg
i-Z5L33Pt.jpg

i-qps5VRS.jpg
i-f7gpGwh.jpg

Have not seen a scan of the Tier 1 but I assume it exists.

In fact, based on the uptick in product on the market lately, I assume at least a couple of copies of the entire run of base, parallel and insert sets exists.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Been a few years and with all the new 1998 Select ( and Pinnacle Cert ) Cards Popping Up Figured it be a Good Time To Bump This Thread Back Up.......

Great idea. The baseballcardpedia.com (BCP) page on 1998 Select & Pinnacle Certified are in need of update. Maybe this thread could provide some updates to what is out there for the collectors.

[MENTION=3887]AUTaxMan[/MENTION] - reading your past posts on this thread, do you still have an updated tracking sheet of what has surfaced from 1998 Select?

Can confirm the cards below exist; I understand that some of this information may already be known by specific player collectors.

Select Numbers: - BCP page states that only 12 of 20 have surfaced; have seen 19. The 7 below would be "new" additions to the BBP page
Galarraga
Piazza
Bagwell
Clemens
Walker
Lofton
McGwire
[MENTION=6333]chadgwynn[/MENTION] - unfortunately, the Gwynn is the one I am not confirmed on.

Jersey Number Parallel - these are updates to BCP page, card number precedes:
107 Ripken (2-star)
182 Ripken (3-star)
232 Ripken (4-star)

14 ARod (1-star)
114 ARod (2-star)
189 ARod (3-star)
239 ARod (4-star)

4 McGwire (1-star)
104 McGwire (2-star)
179 McGwire (3-star)
229 McGwire (4-star)

25 Piazza (1-star)
125 Piazza (2-star)
200 (Piazza (3-star)
250 (Piazza) (4-star)

21 Chipper (1-star)
121 Chipper (2-star)
196 Chipper (3-star)
245 Chipper (4-star)

24 Jeter (1-star)
124 Jeter (2-star)
199 Jeter (3-star)
249 Jeter (4-star)

16 Griffey (1-star)

10 Thomas (1-star)

Have strong reason to believe that the full set of 1998 select base and jersey number exists. Have seen pictures with stacks of base and parallel from this set, but have only seen specific pictures of the stars above for confirmation.

Rare Form - BCP page states that this insert set has yet to emerge. All cards from this set exist:
Griffey (3 copies)
Clemens
Ripken
Juan Gone
Nomar
ARod
Chipper
Piazza
Maddux
Thomas (2 copies)

Last edited:

Members online