Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scanning topps chrome or gold bordered cards.. any tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I'm rescanning my whole collection the right way to step up my website and most of the Topps chrome/bowman cards and gold bordered cards just don't show through and just look dark. Is there anything specific setting wise you guys use to make them scan and actually look like they are supposed to? I'm using an Epson scanner if that matters any.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I've tried scanning them facing in both directions on the scanner.. hood up and down etc and I still get the same dark effect. I will have to try messing with the brightness or contrast to see if that helps.

anyone else have any good tips to make these scans look better?

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
Good question.

I've read a few Ebay rants about people thinking they're getting black bordered cards due to that type of scanning. I get that same effect while scanning regular refractors and it makes the borders look black. Mine's an Epson too. I also have an LED scanner that makes all shiny cards look like crap so I have no choice but to use the Epson scanner for those

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I've had an HP for about 5 years that makes blues look almost black. Scans of blue refs or beautifully signed blue sharpie items look like garbage. Never have been able to improve the scans and figure I'm stuck with it till I pony up for a nicer scanner (but I'd rather spend that cash on cards lol)

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I put mine in clean one-touches when scanning - it provides enough distance from the glass to get a better picture. Just make sure the one-touch doesn't have any smudges or scratches though.

Latest posts