Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have you met your favorite player?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreamerfan

Aug 10, 2008
Rochester,Mi
I got to meet Alan Trammell a couple times. First time I could not even udder a word. Never got to meet Larry Walker while he was playing and maybe if he does a signing in the area maybe but probably not

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Never had any interest in meeting my favorite players for some reason.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
This was before his gift basket giving days. AAA in Columbus. My buddy's cousin is Jay Payton, so we went to meet him when he played for the Tide, and I met Jeter when he was a Clipper. I didn't have anything to sign, but he was really nice. Wish I would have had a ball or something.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I hate meeting people of which I'm a fan, and I've never been an autograph hound. But Opening Day in Arlington, 1998, the Rangers played the White Sox, and I had brought a Frank card with me just in case this opportunity arose. Back in Philadelphia, you weren't allowed near the field unless you had tickets there, but in Texas it's a little more friendly, and they actually have designated aisles where you can queue for autographs. Frank Thomas came out and I had to do it. That 1998 Fleer is one of my favorite cards in my collection. I'm a big guy, especially back then, but he was much bigger up close than even I had thought, and solid. You could just feel the muscles rippling beneath that slick black windbreaker, the light sweat raised on his taut skin from the pre-game workouts, the bright jovial smile beneath the shading brim of his cap as even the taciturn veteran slugger engages in light banter with his biggest fan at the start of a new season.

I've never been to an Indians game where Grady Sizemore played. At this point I'm wondering if I ever will.

rbadger

Aug 10, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
Met Nolan Ryan in Austin, TX in 1997 when he was retired and the pitching coach for TCU (when his son was playing) when they were in town playing UT. Spoke with him for a couple minutes about his no hitters, etc. and had him sign a couple cards (still my favorites).

Untitled.jpg

25a.jpg

Last edited:

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I have yet to meet Shawn Green. I missed his book signing when he came to NY, hopefully I can meet him sooner or later.

I have met all of these people at games or charity events over the years:

Mike Pizza, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax, Roger Staubach, Doug Flutie, Kerry Collins, Victor Cruz, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Robin Ventura, Gary Carter, Pedro Martinez, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Ray Allen, Rob Gronkowski, Junior Seau, Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Curtis Martin, Wayne Gretzky, Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur, Mario Lemieux, Mohammad Ali, Bruce Jenner, Marvin Harrison, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, Eli Manning...

and then the non athletes list is long also...includes Eminem, Jay Z, Maryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Bobby Lee, Tom Arnold, John Goodman, Brian DeGraw (actually from where I grew up), Luke and Owen Wilson (seperately), Adam Sandler,

Hank Azaria( Big Mets fan!) - my last game at Shea, we had seats on the on-deck circle, chatting with Griffey and some other Reds players. I went to get a beer, when I turned around to see the field and Hank was standing behind me. I said hello and admitted to some star struck dumbness...We compared our seats, and mine were better. I jokingly told him that he could take our unused ticket and sit with us. He refused saying he was with a small group. The fifth inning, the usher asked if he was a member of our group, we said yes. Rest of the game Hank sat with me and my buddy. Griffey gave him the lineup card because he was a fan of Moe from The Simpsons. Best game I have ever been to!

Best meeting for a Celeb = Tom Hanks. Nicest celebrity I have ever met. He took the time to stand with us at a charity event in NY, told us a couple of jokes and became part of the conversation. Overall time he spent with my group of four was probably ten or fifteen minutes. It doesnt sound like much, but at charity events celebs are moving around so quickly that usually its a handshake and a fast picutre.

People on my wish list to meet - Bill Murray, Michael J. Fox, Mike Tyson, Denzel Washington, Clint Eastwood, and a few others...Lots of others.

Last edited:

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Never had any interest in meeting my favorite players for some reason.

I'm the exact same way. I just don't place much personal importance on athletes. Don't get me wrong I love watching sports, but I try to keep it in perspective and I won't go out of my way to fraternize with anybody famous just for the sake of saying I did.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Not sure if my favorite player is Joe Mauer or Denard Span.. I've met Joe 2 times, once as a kid in probably 2004 when he was first called up and last year at TwinsFest. I've met Span probably somewhere between 5-10 times. Really cool guy who loves interacting with fans, probably why a lot of people like him in MN.

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
I have met 2 of my favorites. I have met Brooks Robinson several times and once spent about 45 minutes talking baseball with him. The other was Bob Gibson. I have met him twice and the last time I got to spend 3 or 4 hours listening to him talk about his playing days and just telling stories.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Mark Grace:
Two meetings. Spent an hour with him as he signed memorabilia at a private signing in Arizona. Talked about parenting (we both have 2 boys), Sammy Sosa, winning a World Series ring, and the items I had him sign (game-used glove, high school yearbook). Other was at a Sports Stag in Cincinnati, where he was guest speaker with some great tales. Before program started, had a Coors Light with him (his choice) and once again talked about our boys - specifically halloween costumes as it was right before then. Got to try on his World Series ring!

Arizona 2001
bradmark.jpg
m5.JPG

Cincinnati 2010
lasalle2.jpg

Don Zimmer:
Brief meeting at 2011 Sun Times card show in Chicago. Talked about his high school days and meeting his wife (also had a high school yearbook for him to sign)

bradzim.jpg

Last edited:

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
I have met 2 of my favorites. I have met Brooks Robinson several times and once spent about 45 minutes talking baseball with him. The other was Bob Gibson. I have met him twice and the last time I got to spend 3 or 4 hours listening to him talk about his playing days and just telling stories.

That's really cool that you got to spend so much time with them when you met them I bet you had a blast.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
I met Jay Canizaro several times when he was with the Grizzlies.
AutoedPic11MyselfandJay.jpg

And I met my childhood hero at a signing put on by the Fresno Grizzlies, AAA team for the Giants. It's odd how you can feel like a 10 year old when you're in the presence of your hero. I was 30 when I finally got to meet Will Clark, and the entire time I felt like I was 10 and it was 1989. He was great with the fans, making sure to spend some time with each person in line. I was a bit embarassed when my wife told Clark that we named our son after him. And my highlight came when Clark complimented me on how great my family was. Thanks for the experience Will.

My wife and my son named Will meeting Will Clark:
IMG_2587.jpg

Me and my daughter with Will:
IMG_2588.jpg

The jacket I had Will sign, it had been my dream since I was 10 to have this jacket signed. I took it to every Giants game I went to in hopes that I could get Clark to sign it. Came close only once, in 1996, when he has a member of the Rangers.
IMG_2592.jpg

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I have yet to meet Shawn Green. I missed his book signing when he came to NY, hopefully I can meet him sooner or later.

I have met all of these people at games or charity events over the years:

Mike Pizza, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax, Roger Staubach, Doug Flutie, Kerry Collins, Victor Cruz, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Robin Ventura, Gary Carter, Pedro Martinez, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Ray Allen, Rob Gronkowski, Junior Seau, Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Curtis Martin, Wayne Gretzky, Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur, Mario Lemieux, Mohammad Ali, Bruce Jenner, Marvin Harrison, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, Eli Manning...

and then the non athletes list is long also...includes Eminem, Jay Z, Maryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Bobby Lee, Tom Arnold, John Goodman, Brian DeGraw (actually from where I grew up), Luke and Owen Wilson (seperately), Adam Sandler,

Hank Azaria( Big Mets fan!) - my last game at Shea, we had seats on the on-deck circle, chatting with Griffey and some other Reds players. I went to get a beer, when I turned around to see the field and Hank was standing behind me. I said hello and admitted to some star struck dumbness...We compared our seats, and mine were better. I jokingly told him that he could take our unused ticket and sit with us. He refused saying he was with a small group. The fifth inning, the usher asked if he was a member of our group, we said yes. Rest of the game Hank sat with me and my buddy. Griffey gave him the lineup card because he was a fan of Moe from The Simpsons. Best game I have ever been to!

Best meeting for a Celeb = Tom Hanks. Nicest celebrity I have ever met. He took the time to stand with us at a charity event in NY, told us a couple of jokes and became part of the conversation. Overall time he spent with my group of four was probably ten or fifteen minutes. It doesnt sound like much, but at charity events celebs are moving around so quickly that usually its a handshake and a fast picutre.

People on my wish list to meet - Bill Murray, Michael J. Fox, Mike Tyson, Denzel Washington, Clint Eastwood, and a few others...Lots of others.

Awesome. I'd love to meet Eastwood btw.

TigersFan#35

Aug 24, 2012
Bethesda, MD
I've never met Justin Verlander, I hope I will someday, however I did get a chance to meet one of favorite relief pitcher, Darren O'Day, O'Day and a few other Orioles stopped by the Naval Medical center where I go through physical therapy each day and I was pretty stoked to see him, got an autograph hat, ball and oversized baseball card that they each carried with them, and best part was that he pretty much hung out and chatted it up with me for the 45mins that they were there for, he even spotted for me, nice guy!

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Me and Starlin back during 09 Arizona Fall League...A couple days before my first car accident.

MeStarlin.jpgStarlin09AFL.jpg

One of my favorites to sit at at Hohokam
FavHohokam.jpg

StarlinHataftersigned.jpg
Its faded over the years I guess I should put it in a large freezer bag for the graph to not fade. It was a silver sharper and I didn't know about Decos back then. I have a Mini Helmet signed on the back of the helmet::facepalm:: a long with 2 8x10's that will never leave my collection.

I never talked to Derrek Lee because I was young and just having fun back then getting anyones autographs

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts