Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I am giving away a box of Topps Five Star Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
[phil]130806190480[/phil]

Cespedes is the only RC logo guy in 2012 that I see with considerable room for growth. This is a sweet card with a nice design at a very reasonable price. I picked it because this is a prospect oriented site and Cespedes is somebody showing a skill set that can excite fans for years to come with a very reasonable price tag.

This product is not my cup of tea but the main criticism I would have is to simply dump the gold flake style borders. They're hideous.

Edit: I would like to add one more constructive criticism.

Topps needs to be more selective when pairing up players for dual and more booklets. Combining Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera makes no sense when they are not teammates and one is ON FIRE and the other plays for a team in a fire sale with nothing to show for it. That is only one example but I'm sure the point is clear.

Last edited:

Henry Aaron Donald

Sep 14, 2012
$T2eC16NHJHIE9nyseG53BQpwk-ZNTw~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-...1025028717?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item416e65a26d

My favorite of all time, followed by Morgan, Ripken and currently Frazier

Exquisite

Apr 18, 2010
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-TOPPS-...1107891630?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3f1f4a21ae
Rangers fan should be all over this book card. I love the on card quad autos. No stickers or redemption is a plus.
For such a high end product you would hope for less redemption card however that is the price you pay for on auto cards. This product is not for everyone due to price point but the value should also be there in at least one box to help recover some cost from a case break. Thank you for the opportunity and good to all.

bdrr

Aug 17, 2009
San Fernando Valley
This Koufax sort of shows the strengths and weaknesses of the product:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-...0883410308?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item35c1b94184

On the plus side, it shows that Topps is still willing to engage in some innovation and boundary pushing. While the auto-on-jersey has been done before by other companies, generally most of them are susceptible to significant ink bleeding that blurs the signature [think 2004 Leaf Limited Cuts, 2009 UD Ultimate Collection Jersey Autographs]. The Koufax is actually quite clean. I attribute that to Topps quality control, as they have consistently shown the willingness to engage in foresight as test this sort of stuff ahead of time.

One the down side, there are two clear weaknesses. Firstly, there is no reason why this card should be signed twice. I frankly think it looks rather silly. I would have preferred to see the signed jersey swatch on the panel with the picture and something else on the other panel. As it is, the right panel is mostly empty. There could have been other game used material or something over there. Secondly, I hate booklets. They're impossible to store and display simultaneously, unless you do not care about the condition. I would much rather the card simply be double-sided, and really really wish all the companies would stop with this nonsense. I intentionally do not buy products which contain booklets, and thus would never buy Five Star.

This card should have simply been Koufax with the signed jersey swatch, and nothing more. That would have made for a "must-chase" for many collectors. As this is . . . can live without it.

Members online

Latest posts