Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Casebreakers, what has been your best ROI (return on investment)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Actually I have two related questions, but I'll ask this one first, let it run through discussion for a while, then post the next.

So the question, more specifically, is what has been the best case you've ripped in terms of making your money back? For me, pretty much everything other than Bowman (any flavor). I did pretty well on 2013 Archives (across two cases), nearly breaking even without selling off all the scraps (sold sets, inserts, bigger hits, etc, but not the remnants). Did ok with base Topps too, but not very good with 2012 Mini.

What say you?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I KILLED my case of 2010 Bowman Jumbos, but that's because I pulled a Strasburg auto and between that and his base cards and the fact that I got in on the case at like $799, I started out in the black.

I also broke a case of 2007 UD Exquisite rookie edition baseball and pulled the Derek Jeter/Carlos Gomez dual auto 1/1 and 2 Tim Lincecum autos, thus making my money back again.

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
I'm pretty sure you are asking about 2013 so far... All have been decent, but none have been earth shattering. I'd say Topps Heritage may have been my best seller. Archives was decent too, thanks to the inserts. The Autos were fun to pull. Topps Series 1 & 2 were OK, but I am still waiting for all the papercuts to heal after sorting all those cards. LOL!

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I'm pretty sure you are asking about 2013 so far... All have been decent, but none have been earth shattering. I'd say Topps Heritage may have been my best seller. Archives was decent too, thanks to the inserts. The Autos were fun to pull. Topps Series 1 & 2 were OK, but I am still waiting for all the papercuts to heal after sorting all those cards. LOL!
Not restricted to 2013, but even a break down by year-over-year reliability is interesting. And based on that, you can see how 2010 Bowman jumbos basically screwed up the next two years of releases and counting, jacking up prices due to the Strasburg phenomenon. People just got too high an expectation.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Double edged sword:

Case #1 of 2012 Topps Five Star put me up about $800.

Case #2 of 2012 Topps Five Star put me back to just over even.

A single box then put me a couple hundred down.

Without the first case I shudder to think how bad it would have been...

I USUALLY end up coming close to even throughout a year. I tend to rip a case or two of just about every baseball product each year. I come upon 4-5 big hits that make up for the really bad ones.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
2002 Donruss the Rookies - Alexis Rios - I came up big on this product and have tons of scraps left.2005 Bowman Draft - Amazing product, I absolutely killed it on this one!

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I think with Bowman you have to be really lucky or break a ton to do well, no?

Meaning it's more random than a even distribution.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Did two cases of 2012 leaf metal and a case of valiant.

Graded something like 12 of them & all were gem or pristine.

I've stopped keeping track but I was up hundreds profit and still had 100 plus autos left.

I also got two Puig redemptions and a Pujols which I sold after release. Imagine if I kept the Puig cards until recently.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts