Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Boston Red Sox are the 2013 ALDS Champions!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
So your saying the Tigers are a worse pitching team because they gave up three more runs in a four or five game series? Thats your evidence to back that up?? Come on buddy. I know your a sox fan but using that as your evidence? I'm not saying the Tigers are perfect BUT a lineup of

Jackson, Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder, Martinez, Avila, Infante, Peralta, Iglesias scares me a hell of a lot more than Crisp, Lowrie, Donaldson, Moss, Cespedes, Reddick, Vogt, Barton, Sogard. (The two lineups which were used game 1).

The Tigers rotation went Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez, Scherzer, Verlander. Put that out over a seven game series your looking at Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez, Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez, Scherzer vs the Sox who would have Lester, Lackey, Bucholz, Peavy, Lester, Lackey, Bucholz. I'm taking the Tigers in that matchup 10 out of 10 times.

Cabrera is still a THREAT. Obviously. Yes he's not 100 percent but he can hit the ball out of the ballpark every time he's at the plate. The Tigers have to be the favorite in that series.

I think the Sox are sitting on their couches just like their fans for the WS if they get the Tigers.
Cabrera is NOT a big threat to hit it out since his injury. I'm sorry he's still a great hitter but from what I have seen he is not himself at the plate, he can't drive the ball like he could pre-injury. Just look at the stats. That leaves Fielder to be the go to guy to drive in runs. What would the Sox do? Pitch around him. Fielder is a power threat but his HRs are way down from what they were a handful of years ago. Martinez is the one hitter who scares me in that lineup, and one of the only ones who has hit well so far in the playoffs. No other hitter would I be afraid to pitch to on that team. The A's on the other hand? Power threats all around...5 HRs by them so far and only 2 for Detriot. We have a lot of fly ball pitchers so I do not want to face that Oakland lineup.

As for pitching? The run stat I brought up was because everyone says how amazing Detroits staff is, yet they have given up more runs than the Red Sox pitching staff has. So why can't Lester/Buchholz match up against Scherzer/Verlander? We haven't faced Verlander this year but in his career against the Red Sox he is [3-4 3.63] and at Fenway (which he'd pitch game 2) he is [2-3 3.97]. Scherzer? He is [2-4 7.02] against the Red Sox and [1-2 3.86] at Fenway. Not dominant numbers by either pitcher. I think a few of these games will be battles of the bullpens in which I would much rather go against Detriot's bullpen.

Hell even Buster Olney would rather face Detriot then Oakland. That's saying something.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Anyone else love watching the Sox players celebrate? Gomes with his army helmet on punting beers, everyone going crazy spraying champagne. Heck, even Brian Butterfield was shotgunning beers last night haha. Just doing what they do best, winning games and having fun.

Awesome!! Start them young. :cool:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Cabrera is NOT a big threat to hit it out since his injury. I'm sorry he's still a great hitter but from what I have seen he is not himself at the plate, he can't drive the ball like he could pre-injury. Just look at the stats. That leaves Fielder to be the go to guy to drive in runs. What would the Sox do? Pitch around him. Fielder is a power threat but his HRs are way down from what they were a handful of years ago. Martinez is the one hitter who scares me in that lineup, and one of the only ones who has hit well so far in the playoffs. No other hitter would I be afraid to pitch to on that team. The A's on the other hand? Power threats all around...5 HRs by them so far and only 2 for Detriot. We have a lot of fly ball pitchers so I do not want to face that Oakland lineup.

As for pitching? The run stat I brought up was because everyone says how amazing Detroits staff is, yet they have given up more runs than the Red Sox pitching staff has. So why can't Lester/Buchholz match up against Scherzer/Verlander? We haven't faced Verlander this year but in his career against the Red Sox he is [3-4 3.63] and at Fenway (which he'd pitch game 2) he is [2-3 3.97]. Scherzer? He is [2-4 7.02] against the Red Sox and [1-2 3.86] at Fenway. Not dominant numbers by either pitcher. I think a few of these games will be battles of the bullpens in which I would much rather go against Detriot's bullpen.

Hell even Buster Olney would rather face Detriot then Oakland. That's saying something.

Scherzer isd a completely different pitcher this year so comparing his others years means nothing. Once again. Big players come up in big games and I think you are drastically underestimating what Verlander can throw out there in a big game.

Again. Your using three or four games to say the a's have more power.

Jackson, hunter, Cabrera, fielder, Martinez, peralta is a lot scarier than whoever the a's run out there.

Stop using 3-4 game sample sizes and start looking at the big picture. The tigers have more power. Period. It's not close. Reddick and moss? Yeah shaking in my boots.

Cabrera is not the same but he's still a great hitter and is still a threat to go deep or drive in runs.

I don't know how else to explain to you to stop using the smallest sample size possible practically to examine a team.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Scherzer isd a completely different pitcher this year so comparing his others years means nothing. Once again. Big players come up in big games and I think you are drastically underestimating what Verlander can throw out there in a big game.

Again. Your using three or four games to say the a's have more power.

Jackson, hunter, Cabrera, fielder, Martinez, peralta is a lot scarier than whoever the a's run out there.

Stop using 3-4 game sample sizes and start looking at the big picture. The tigers have more power. Period. It's not close. Reddick and moss? Yeah shaking in my boots.

Cabrera is not the same but he's still a great hitter and is still a threat to go deep or drive in runs.

I don't know how else to explain to you to stop using the smallest sample size possible practically to examine a team.
Fine, you want a larger sample size?

Oakland 162 game HR total: 186
Detroit 162 game HR total: 176

Detroit is only that close to Oakland because of Cabrera. Like I said before, with the injuries Cabrera is dealing with he is not a 40+ HR hitter. Look at the stats pre and post injury. He has what, 2 XBH since the end of August? He still has pop but significantly less because he can't use his lower body to drive the ball. Any ball that drops in for a hit is a single because he can not run well right now. I'm still not sure why you dispute this. Why can't teams be afraid of Moss/Cespedes/Donaldson, etc...because they are not household names? All are huge power threats, just because they don't have much of a track record doesn't mean they don't have the ability to go deep every at bat.

Oakland 162 game team ERA: 3.56
Detroit 162 game team ERA: 3.61

This stat they are very close, but....the edge does weight in Oaklands favor. They have a much better bullpen....that is the main reason why I'd rather face Detriot. Boston is so damn good at getting the starter out of the game and beating up the bullpen. I think they will have a tougher time doing that to Oakland. I don't really care if Verlander is a big game pitcher. David Price was supposedly a big game pitcher and he got destroyed by Boston in game 2. I would rather face pitchers who the Red Sox have had a good bit of experience against then go against the young arms they haven't seen much of in Oakland. Lastly, Lester and Buchholz will probably pitch game 1 and 2 so I don't think they will match up against Verlander or Scherzer (Scherzer maybe game 2??).

Both teams will be tough but for me, I think the Red Sox are better suited to go against Detroit.

Members online

Latest posts