Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I didn't even know there was another booklet! The one that you bought for $899 was a great great deal

I just studied the checklist again and I think this is it for 1/1 mantle patch booklets. I don't think there is another one. One book highlights his 536 career home runs and the 2nd highlights his 1956 triple crown season

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I just studied the checklist again and I think this is it for 1/1 mantle patch booklets. I don't think there is another one. One book highlights his 536 career home runs and the 2nd highlights his 1956 triple crown season

I would bet there isn't another prime patch booklet, I'm impressed that there were 2 to begin with. Mantle patches are tough - I have a wool 1/1 Sterling but only one of the four pieces is a patch. Nonetheless I love the card

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Are there others ? Do the patches line up at all so you can see what letters they came from ?

Ryan

Ive studied the two cards pretty good and it is really hard to tell. I don't think the two cards match up. My best guess is that one card has parts of bottom portion of the letter k and top portion of letter r. 2nd card had part of the letter o and top part of letter n. It is really hard to be forsure though

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I would bet there isn't another prime patch booklet, I'm impressed that there were 2 to begin with. Mantle patches are tough - I have a wool 1/1 Sterling but only one of the four pieces is a patch. Nonetheless I love the card

Basically the Yankee road jersey of mantle that topps purchased in 2006 all went into patches in 2006 and 2007 sterling. You can correct me if you think I'm wrong?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ive studied the two cards pretty good and it is really hard to tell. I don't think the two cards match up. My best guess is that one card has parts of bottom portion of the letter k and top portion of letter r. 2nd card had part of the letter o and top part of letter n. It is really hard to be forsure though

Cool , thx for checking.

Ryan

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Basically the Yankee road jersey of mantle that topps purchased in 2006 all went into patches in 2006 and 2007 sterling. You can correct me if you think I'm wrong?

I would expect that they still have some pieces laying around, I'm not sure the entire thing went in there but I could be wrong but I don't really know of any Mantle wool stuff since then off the top of my head. What do you think? I'd be surprised if they poured everything into one product over 2 years.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I would expect that they still have some pieces laying around, I'm not sure the entire thing went in there but I could be wrong but I don't really know of any Mantle wool stuff since then off the top of my head. What do you think? I'd be surprised if they poured everything into one product over 2 years.

Regular fabric might be left, but their hasn't been any mantle patchrs since 2007. Remember in 2006 topps produced 12 mantle jumbo patches also. Would be cool if there is some patch material left, I'm not going to bet on it though...

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Regular fabric might be left, but their hasn't been any mantle patchrs since 2007. Remember in 2006 topps produced 12 mantle jumbo patches also. Would be cool if there is some patch material left, I'm not going to bet on it though...

There are always mantle game used jerseys to be bought.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

Agreed I don't know of anything wool patch related for Mantle post-2007. I don't think it's out of the question to buy another Mantle gamer at some point though

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
You think these companies are gonna fork over between 100,000 - 500,000 for a Mantle jersey, lol. Not a chance.. Maybe Panini maybe!! (it would have to be on the low end). Topps not at all as they are having a hard enough time buying pants. I don't think we will see another Mantle gamer bought from these companies as the price is just too much now. Prices have sky rocketed because of all the fraud on selling fake jerseys so more back round checks are being done as well as verification so now jerseys that went for 30,000-50,000 have tripled. We may see Mantle Pants, Ruth Pants, DiMaggio Pants, Teddy Pants ect.. but not gamers of these guys. Too expensive now especially with everyone on alert and skeptical. Its not just a hand shake and take your word on it anymore, there has to be extensive research done for these things to sell in auction houses as its their reputation on the line. Even if they buy privately, I think now people whom sell privately are more in the loop of what these Gamers sell for so even from them it wont be cheap. Just my take on it.

Last edited:

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
The worse think to happen to Hof stuff, atleast from the Topps side, is prospect explosion. It Ruined topps energy or motivation to go after Big time gamers of legends. I mean would you rather spend 2,000 for trout or harper jersey than half a million on Ruth, Mantle, Wagner, ect. They don't have too anymore as they can just sign these prospects guys for pennies on the dollar and their products will sell out! I hate it, lol.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
You think these companies are gonna fork over between 100,000 - 500,000 for a Mantle jersey, lol. Not a chance.. Maybe Panini maybe!! (it would have to be on the low end). Topps not at all as they are having a hard enough time buying pants. I don't think we will see another Mantle gamer bought from these companies as the price is just too much now. Prices have sky rocketed because of all the fraud on selling fake jerseys so more back round checks are being done as well as verification so now jerseys that went for 30,000-50,000 have tripled. We may see Mantle Pants, Ruth Pants, DiMaggio Pants, Teddy Pants ect.. but not gamers of these guys. Too expensive now especially with everyone on alert and skeptical. Its not just a hand shake and take your word on it anymore, there has to be extensive research done for these things to sell in auction houses as its their reputation on the line. Even if they buy privately, I think now people whom sell privately are more in the loop of what these Gamers sell for so even from them it wont be cheap. Just my take on it.

I don't necessarily agree that they won't spend that money but I'm not sure - you have to spend money to make money. If Topps continues releasing product after product after product where the biggest hit is a Frank Robinson piece (or mid-end HOFer equivalent) people will stop buying their products. They're already losing all the high-end market share to other companies there is really a VERY small selection nowadays of high-end products that are coming in sooner or later I think they're going to have to stock up. Maybe you're right though maybe it will be a pair of pants or a jacket or old timers jersey, which would be unfortunate but I just don't think they'll get away with prospecting and mid-end HOFers who are non-deceased for too long.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
The worse think to happen to Hof stuff, atleast from the Topps side, is prospect explosion. It Ruined topps energy or motivation to go after Big time gamers of legends. I mean would you rather spend 2,000 for trout or harper jersey than half a million on Ruth, Mantle, Wagner, ect. They don't have too anymore as they can just sign these prospects guys for pennies on the dollar and their products will sell out! I hate it, lol.

No offense to prospectors, I see why some people who are very into the MLB season would love that it's just not something I can invest my money in. I too like you cannot possibly see myself spending 10K on a Trout auto because it's an orange or whatever, lol. I think the prospect bubble will soon die down slightly (the GU bubble died down at one point for a bit). I think there are a fair amount of people who collect HOF only that they'll have to have specific products geared towards those collectors.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I don't necessarily agree that they won't spend that money but I'm not sure - you have to spend money to make money. If Topps continues releasing product after product after product where the biggest hit is a Frank Robinson piece (or mid-end HOFer equivalent) people will stop buying their products. They're already losing all the high-end market share to other companies there is really a VERY small selection nowadays of high-end products that are coming in sooner or later I think they're going to have to stock up. Maybe you're right though maybe it will be a pair of pants or a jacket or old timers jersey, which would be unfortunate but I just don't think they'll get away with prospecting and mid-end HOFers who are non-deceased for too long.

Problem is they have been, lol. With the exception of Koufax gamer (where is the rest as only seen bits and pieces) whos big time hof gamer have they purchased in the last 5 years or more? Its been pants now for too long!

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Problem is they have been, lol. With the exception of Koufax gamer (where is the rest as only seen bits and pieces) whos big time hof gamer have they purchased in the last 5 years or more? Its been pants now for too long!

Someone will beat them in the market then, didn't Leaf make a deal with a Ruth estate within the last 5 years? There is a high-end HOF niche to fill, someone will fill it IMO. If not, the manufacturers are leaving money on the table

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
No offense to prospectors, I see why some people who are very into the MLB season would love that it's just not something I can invest my money in. I too like you cannot possibly see myself spending 10K on a Trout auto because it's an orange or whatever, lol. I think the prospect bubble will soon die down slightly (the GU bubble died down at one point for a bit). I think there are a fair amount of people who collect HOF only that they'll have to have specific products geared towards those collectors.

I also think there are a good amount of Hofer collectors just way more prospectors right now. I mean Bryce Harper whom hasn't done crap for 3 years now has a 3 or 4 days hitting steak/ explosion and now he is the second coming of Mantle.... Get the f out of here with that, lol. It really is just me as I cant get into that nor enjoy it.

Last edited:

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Someone will beat them in the market then, didn't Leaf make a deal with a Ruth estate within the last 5 years? There is a high-end HOF niche to fill, someone will fill it IMO. If not, the manufacturers are leaving money on the table

I hope Panini, as they have been doing a good job with getting us Hofers that have not had previous material before. Albeit 50% pants 50% gamers but they are trying.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I hope Panini, as they have been doing a good job with getting us Hofers that have not had previous material before. Albeit 50% pants 50% gamers but they are trying.

I'm a big fan of Panini's HOF products I hope it's them too. One thing I'm almost 100% sure of is that those jumbo wool prime patches are a thing of the past - if a company spends the money to invest in a piece like that they will want to keep it for awhile I would expect very low print runs and small windows so the jersey would last a good 10 years, lol.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I also think there are a good amount of Hofer collectors just way more prospectors right now. I mean Bryce Harper whom hasn't done crap for 3 years now has a 3 or 4 days hitting steak/ explosion and now he is the second coming of Mantle.... Get the f out of here with that, lol. It really is just me as I cant get into that nor enjoy it.

Then there are people like me who can do both. Some people enjoy all parts of the hobby.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts