Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
alwayson22 said:
Anyone here tempted? ... It's slightly out of my price range at the moment :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Chong-Ricky-Ri ... 415839d31b

That is one that has poked its' head up every now and then. Somebody buys it, hangs on to it and for whatever reason sells it later. It is a beauty and about the highest graded version of the card out there. I THINK it may be the highest. I don't want anyone out there thinking I am stating gospel truth and starting a flame war. I just don't remember seeing one higher from another company. SGC92 about equal to a PSA or BCG 9. If I didn't already pawn my first born for mine, I would definitely be tempted! I hope this time it finds its' way to a good forever home, in the hands of a Henderson collector. Too bad there isn't a HOF for cards, as that one should be there. :D In thirty years of collecting and being on Ebay since 1999, this is the ONLY card that I would pay the price on. There are 1/1 cards out there in full color with bad-a$$ patches and autos, going for one fifth the price, and I pass. I don't know what it is, but this card is the 1.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
kryslarry said:
alwayson22 said:
Anyone here tempted? ... It's slightly out of my price range at the moment :lol:

That is one that has poked its' head up every now and then. Somebody buys it, hangs on to it and for whatever reason sells it later. It is a beauty and about the highest graded version of the card out there. I THINK it may be the highest. I don't want anyone out there thinking I am stating gospel truth and starting a flame war. I just don't remember seeing one higher from another company. SGC92 about equal to a PSA or BCG 9. If I didn't already pawn my first born for mine, I would definitely be tempted! I hope this time it finds its' way to a good forever home, in the hands of a Henderson collector. Too bad there isn't a HOF for cards, as that one should be there. :D In thirty years of collecting and being on Ebay since 1999, this is the ONLY card that I would pay the price on. There are 1/1 cards out there in full color with bad-a$$ patches and autos, going for one fifth the price, and I pass. I don't know what it is, but this card is the 1.

New 1/1 patch/auto cards got nothing on this bad boy. Henderson has always had sweet cards but this is in another realm. Absolutely have to have a copy of this card if you're a Rickey collector... thank god I'm not. :lol:

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Hey Everyone,
A fellow co-worker of mine just gave me his Henderson collection to sell for him. He collected him thru his 8th grade year (1990) and then stopped collecting cards for good. So he has a ton of Henderson's in very good condition along with a couple auto'd cards and an auto'd ball.He also has 2 rookies and some regional inserts. I was gonna put the whole thing as a lot up on ebay but I wanted to see if there are any tough issues or errors from the 80's of Henderson?
Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Dan

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not tempted since it's so very far out of reach. More like frustrated.

I got drunk as a lord last night. Everything was going really well until the 8th inning of the Yankees game. I mean REALLY WELL. Then next thing you know I'm irate, and Becky suggests we take a shot, which lead to another shot, and then after the 10th inning there were a couple more shots. :lol: I gotta stop that, it looks like it's going to be a long year watching the Yankees on CC nights. My liver probably can't survive. The good news is CC has a 1.38 ERA, that's pretty hot! I'm so used to him starting out crappy and trying to get his ERA back down from 5.

Andruw Jones was awesome, cranked a HR in his first AB as a Yankee! He really helped CC out, he plays well with others. Now if only the people who collected him could emulate him. :| :lol:

If anybody needs help learning how to add somebody to your list of foes (so you don't have to see their posts anymore) just let me know and I'll be happy to walk you through it.

alwayson22

Dec 6, 2010
San Jose, CA
Mozzie22 said:
kryslarry said:
alwayson22 said:

New 1/1 patch/auto cards got nothing on this bad boy. Henderson has always had sweet cards but this is in another realm. Absolutely have to have a copy of this card if you're a Rickey collector... thank god I'm not. :lol:

The Chong is definitely the Holy Grail of collecting for me, that's for sure. I have resolved to add one to my collection at some point in my life! I don't know about the rest of you, but when it comes to a card like the Chong, the condition of the card is almost secondary to me. Obviously, I don't want it to look like a truck ran over it, but my heart cannot get my wallet to fork over $2,500 for the SGC 92 when I would be perfectly happy with a PSA 6 at half the price or less.

For those of you in this thread who do have a Chong, would you mind telling me the grade and what you paid for it (either in this thread or by PM)? I understand if you prefer not to do that, of course :D I saw that a PSA 9 (OC) sold back in '07 for just over $1,300, along with the rest of the '77 Chong Modesto team set.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't have one, but here are the ebay sales I've kept track of over the last 9 years...

$380 (wish I would have made better notes about this when... condition, when it sold, etc)

$1355(BVG7)

$1400(SGC88)

$2050(PSA8) 9/2006

Jcooley100

Feb 16, 2011

ManOfSteal

Oct 7, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Looks like we have a couple less Rickey's to track donw. According to the 2011 Topps Tribute preliminary checklist, Rickey was supposed to have a Dual Relic card, along with all of its miriad parallels;

http://magazine-exchange.com/product_do ... cklist.pdf

But, based on the actual checklist in this thread, the Rickey card is missing:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128597

I think the next new Rickey's should be in the 2011 Gypsy Queen product, which is supposed to release some time at the end of the month.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
RL24 said:
That's a beauty TBP! If only it was an OPC, I'd be really excited. Even with the lack of furry edges. :lol:

it is INSANE what PSA 10s go for for the Topps. literally 10 times (or more) then the $17.50 i won the PSA 9 for.
Centering is a true female dog on these.

i am making headway on my Topps PSA 9 Rickey run

th_82Topps610PSA9.jpgth_83Topps180PSA9.jpgth_85Topps115PSA9.jpg

i have '84, just not scanned.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
RL24 said:
I don't have one, but here are the ebay sales I've kept track of over the last 9 years...

$380 (wish I would have made better notes about this when... condition, when it sold, etc)

$1355(BVG7)

$1400(SGC88)

$2050(PSA8) 9/2006

I thought I paid $1300 for my SGC 88? My 88 is better than the PSA 8. :twisted: Anyways, that answers that question. My holy grail. Also, there is a thread on the boards asking what would be the very last card you would get rid of. I put that one in. Some very nice cards and some very interesting ones as well in the thread.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
henderson939 said:
magicpapa said:
who was looking for the 1992 score P&G sample card??

Me too. Only after my fellow Henderson collectors have a crack at it.

Such a gentleman. :D Now, shove 'em all outta the way and grab that bad boy! Just kidding. That's not like you. Me, maybe, but not you.

Oohhh, time to polish my horns. :twisted:

Members online

Latest posts