Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it Ebay taboo to ask a seller...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
...for one of their buyer's contact info?

I basically found a very tough southpaw autograph...a week after it ended. I would like to try to negotiate something with the new owner, but I can't find any way to contact him/her other than to ask the seller.

Is this possible/permitted? Thanks.

Still kicking myself for having missed this one...it's been on my wantlist for nearly 10 years now.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
As a seller being asked for it, I would offer to pass your message on to the buyer to contact you because I wouldn't feel right giving out buyer's information without permission. Perhaps you should ask the seller if they would relay your contact information and a message. Maybe they'll be kind enough to oblige.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I have asked for the seller to relay a message to his buyer many times. They always have and the buyer has contacted me about half of the time. One time the buyer said get lost but then 3 weeks later I ended up buying the card from him for about 20% less than he paid.

sbfinley

Mar 23, 2011
Instead of asking for the buyers info, you could ask for the seller to forward your contact information to buyer. In this instance the buyer might feel a little less blind sided by you. I did this a couple of years ago when a signature model bat of a player I collected came up on ebay. It was listed as a store model but the bat looked to have good use and considering I collect a 1930's pitcher I thought it had a chance to be a gamer. Obviously, someone else did as well because another bidder and myself cranked it up to almost double what I was comfortable paying for it (considering it might not be GU). I backed off and almost instantly hated myself. I emailed the seller and asked him to forward a message to the winner with an offer of 150% of his winning bid. The winner contacted me a week later and happened to be someone I knew in passing. He also felt the bat was possibly GU and wanted to hold on to it, but promised to give me first crack if he ever decided to sell it. It hasn't happened yet, but I fell much better knowing where it rests.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've done that before when the seller is pushing a lot that I don't want to bid on because there is only 1 or 2 items out of many that I'm interested (and not worth the price of the lot). It has worked out pretty well. Of course, it was a lot easier when you could contact the other bidders directly, but it's still practical, if the seller is willing.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Thanks for all the insight, but it's all for naught now. I found the buyer through the seller's feedback, explained the situation...and was shot down almost immediately with a "sorry, not for sale" reply :cry:

Looks like the 10 year wait continues!

Members online

Latest posts