Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collection - 1989 done... finally.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
With this team issue card I was able to move to 70/70 for 1989. 1989 isn't that difficult of a year to get near completion on but this team issue has eluded me for years. Very happy to be able to cross off another year from the checklist. I hope to knock off 1984 later this week. The other two most difficult Ozzie cards from 1989 are below.

8889-1.jpg

Ozzie Smith Restaurant card

Scan0073.jpg

and without a doubt the most difficult card from 1989 and one of the toughest from any year...

Topps Heads Up Test

Scan0123.jpg

Scan0124.jpg

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Congrats! I love the simplicity of the team issue, a great looking card. It's always a nice feeling to cross off an entire year. I imagine you don't have very many 80s issues left to find.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks Guys.

Nevermore- I need exactly 5 cards to finish the 1980's. One incoming this week but needless to say the remaining cards are next to impossible.

Thelesquad- Topps Heads Up- It took me a long time to track mine down. If you get the chance, buy it. Don't think about how crazy high the asking price might be just buy it and hand over the money. You'll be happy you did.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I hear ya. I had a chance a couple of years ago to grab one at a pretty good BIN, but because it had a small crease, I passed. I somewhat regret it now. I haven't seen another pop up.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
thelesquad said:
I hear ya. I had a chance a couple of years ago to grab one at a pretty good BIN, but because it had a small crease, I passed. I somewhat regret it now. I haven't seen another pop up.

The first Ozzie I ever saw was at a National in Chicago about 10-12 years ago and it had a crease right thru the middle of it and the guy still wanted something like $300 for it. I remember thinking that the guy must be high but an entire decade went by before I saw another one pop up. I've actually owned two and traded one to a guy that basically traded me the world for it. They are cool in hand. Good luck.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
congratz. Completing a year is huge.

The player cards are a neusence. They are not at all stamped and imposable to tell what they are unless they are graded or you have seen on before. When you do find them they are crazy expensive. I spent a little over $300 for my 69 and 71 ryan.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
bouwob said:
congratz. Completing a year is huge.

The player cards are a neusence. They are not at all stamped and imposable to tell what they are unless they are graded or you have seen on before. When you do find them they are crazy expensive. I spent a little over $300 for my 69 and 71 ryan.

There is a great reference site for Cardinal Team issue postcards for all years and players. It has helped immensely over the years.
http://stlcardinalspostcards.com/

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Congrats! Your Ozzie collection is one of my favorite player collections. Good luck on nailing down 1984.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Congrats Mozzie.

I have no clue where I stand on any year with Hidalgo, but it's always nice to hear about a fellow player collector nabbing that final card to have the entire run for a year.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Mozzie22 said:
Nevermore- I need exactly 5 cards to finish the 1980's. One incoming this week but needless to say the remaining cards are next to impossible.

Not bad! Best of luck landing those last few, I'll definitely be rooting for you. It's great that it is possible to get a complete run of Ozzie from his playing years, since he retired prior to 1997. That will be one heckuva collection when it's completed, I'm sure you are much closer to that than I am.

I am only at 845 of 1000 O'Neill from his playing years 1982-2002, and that number doesn't include the 180 Tek patterns, of which I missing a ton. However, I need just 7 cards to complete all of 1982 thru 1996 for O'Neill, and 3 of them are relatively easy to find, just waiting on the right price. But here are the four toughies. (I can only imagine Beckett decided to insert these BVs for comical purposes.)

1990 Donruss Aqueous Test 198 Paul O'Neill $8.00
1995 Score Rules Jumbos SR21 Paul O'Neill $3.00
1996 MLB Pins 24 Paul O'Neill $3.00
1996 Pinnacle Aficionado First Pitch Preview 17 Paul O'Neill $8.00

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for all the comments guys. I love looking at other people’s player collections and especially those of players I watched in the 80’s-90’s. I love seeing a new Butler, Gwynn, or O’neill pick up not to mention all of the others.

Nevermore- I’m not familiar with the 96 Pin or the Score Jumbo but I know the others are tough. Hang in there and be ready with a quick trigger finger if they ever pop up. Do you have an example of a player from either the Score or MLB PIn? I'm curious what they look like.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Wow, congratulations, that sure is one heck of an accomplishment. I hope one day I can do the same. Congratulations again!!

Members online

Latest posts