Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i dont know if i'd say he was deceptive or not....i looked through the closed listings and (unless i missed something) , every other listing , whether it was a single card or the massive lot , specifically stated the card was numbered to 100....only the lot featuring the griffey had absolutely no mention of the serial number ....i've seen other sellers have similar listings and have actually asked them about such an issue JUST IN CASE before placing a bid on one or more iffy items....

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
i dont know if i'd say he was deceptive or not....i looked through the closed listings and (unless i missed something) , every other listing , whether it was a single card or the massive lot , specifically stated the card was numbered to 100....only the lot featuring the griffey had absolutely no mention of the serial number ....i've seen other sellers have similar listings and have actually asked them about such an issue JUST IN CASE before placing a bid on one or more iffy items....

True but it's also the only listing without a back scan and included with two other cards that are serial numbered. I assumed he was packaging off the lower end with the Griff and the longer description precluded the /100 note. In any case, I suppose I should have asked but the default should not be NNO. Meh.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
True but it's also the only listing without a back scan and included with two other cards that are serial numbered. I assumed he was packaging off the lower end with the Griff and the longer description precluded the /100 note. In any case, I suppose I should have asked but the default should not be NNO. Meh.

I had a Griffey Z-Gold NNO at one point. I'm thinking I got at least $50, so I think you may be OK if you try to resell. While I know the NNOs aren't recognized by the collecting community much, they are probably more rare than the numbereds. At worst, you have a gorgeous Griffey card!

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I had a Griffey Z-Gold NNO at one point. I'm thinking I got at least $50, so I think you may be OK if you try to resell. While I know the NNOs aren't recognized by the collecting community much, they are probably more rare than the numbereds. At worst, you have a gorgeous Griffey card!

It is a beauty! I could always consider it a place holder. I guess just a little shell shocked with the let down of it not being the real deal.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
In better news, got this in today as well - from a poorly listed auction for opening bid of $1.25 (+ free shipping)! Downside is I just picked up a copy a month or so back. If anyone's interested I'd love to swap it for another player from the set or anything really. Do we have a Konerko man?

KonerkoF.jpg

KonerkoB.jpg

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
@ athletics - For what you paid I would be happy with that. The real one goes for $175-$200. I just traded mine towards a "the man" refractor. I think you could get close to $100. As previously stated I think it's rarer than the serial numbered version.

On another note, I didn't even see it?! I think eBay hides all the good auctions from me haha. I search newly listed every day only to find stuff like this after the fact.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I once owned 19/100.................. but like a Fool :(
98zgold.jpg

and 32/75
manref.jpg

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
@ athletics - For what you paid I would be happy with that. The real one goes for $175-$200. I just traded mine towards a "the man" refractor. I think you could get close to $100. As previously stated I think it's rarer than the serial numbered version.

On another note, I didn't even see it?! I think eBay hides all the good auctions from me haha. I search newly listed every day only to find stuff like this after the fact.

I swear eBay does this to me too...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Happened to me a few times as well to the point I modified some of my saved searches so things would get caught twice

Well as far as searching by newly listed...it's a crap shoot. I check several times daily and I recognize stuff that is brand new and had to be just listed(it's kind of a no brainer if it's from a brand new 2014 product that just came out) and I'll see it pop up way down the page/pages after other items that I know for a fact were listed earlier that day. In essence, the newly listed items search does not seem to follow a true order of when the item was listed. And I'm pretty sure I could prove that.

So it sucks because I don't ever know how far to go into the rabbit hole of 30+ pages of Bagwell listings to see if anything new was truly listed since the last time I checked. Even searching by year does not truly bring everything up. Guess it's just the luck of the draw...

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
In better news, got this in today as well - from a poorly listed auction for opening bid of $1.25 (+ free shipping)! Downside is I just picked up a copy a month or so back. If anyone's interested I'd love to swap it for another player from the set or anything really. Do we have a Konerko man?

I'm a Konerko man! And, more importantly, a Konerko man with plenty of 90's inserts that I'll trade you for that Atomic! :D

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Bought this on COMC yesterday. Guess I didn't realize until now that it was a weekly contest, with MVP-of-the-Week winners. Wonder if there is a list anywhere of which players were winners.

Yes, there is a list, it's actually a set that Topps made of all the weekly winners. These seem to be just as hard, if not harder, to find as the pack-issued redemption cards.

http://www.beckett.com/search/?term=1999+Topps+MVP+Promotion+Exchange&year_start=1999&sport=185223

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Picked up a 1998 Mystery Finest Galarraga/Galarraga non-refractor with the R designation:

img198.jpg

Now, I just need the base, the marked Refractor, and the Refractor that isn't marked as one!

Members online

Latest posts