Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Must post prices" On the transaction boards

What do you think about the "must list prices" rule on the trade boards?

• It's a good thing for the boards and needs to stay.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • Sellers won't list with this rule, it's gotta go.

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
What if someone is compiling a massive list of stuff and they eventually want to open it up for sales? It would suck to have to price thousands of cards before listing. What if the seller didn't have to list the price in the post but was required to open any inquiry/negotiation by giving the first sell value when asked?

2000Doubles

Oct 29, 2012
Illinois
What if someone is compiling a massive list of stuff and they eventually want to open it up for sales? It would suck to have to price thousands of cards before listing. What if the seller didn't have to list the price in the post but was required to open any inquiry/negotiation by giving the first sell value when asked?

As having priced large lists, my 2014 Topps thread had over 700 cards individually priced. I always had the belief that the seller should put in the work if they are wanting to sell their cards.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
My only issue is that a lot of times I buy large lots at flea markets & shows ect for cheap & I just want to post the pics & take offers. I don't really want to take the time to price every single card especially when I'm looking to sell quick & cheap. [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION]

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
As having priced large lists, my 2014 Topps thread had over 700 cards individually priced. I always had the belief that the seller should put in the work if they are wanting to sell their cards.

I agree with this!

Ogando, Michael Young, Leonys Martin and all Texas Rangers

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sick of selling things, period. This is usually how it goes:

Me: Selling this lot! My total price is 50% the usual ebay going rate!

The PMs I get: I can do HALF of your price. Let me know!

Me: Tell you what, let's meet in the middle.

Them: Sorry gonna have to pass...

Seriously, selling things, even at a massive discount, is like pulling teeth. I've had enough which is why you don't see transaction threads by me anymore.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I'm sick of selling things, period. This is usually how it goes:

Me: Selling this lot! My total price is 50% the usual ebay going rate!

The PMs I get: I can do HALF of your price. Let me know!

Me: Tell you what, let's meet in the middle.

Them: Sorry gonna have to pass...

Seriously, selling things, even at a massive discount, is like pulling teeth. I've had enough which is why you don't see transaction threads by me anymore.

If anyone is trying to haggle at what you put up prices for, well, they're an idiot. I've kicked myself more than once for missing the boat on one of your lots.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I don't like haggling. If I go to a card show or see an online post where the cards aren't priced, I just skip it unless I REALLY need the card and it's worth the bother to do the whole haggling song and dance. I very rarely even look at the transaction boards here, but if it turned into a bunch of "make an offer" posts I can guarantee I'd never make any purchases in the future. There are plenty of places I can buy where somebody has the guts or takes the time to give an actual price.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Keep it. A good seller will acknowledge prices are negotiable

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Overwhelming support for pricing Chris
having to list a price surely is not stopping sellers from listing here.
i am sure this has nothing to do with Phil not selling here.
i have a ton of cards to sell but quite honestly the traffic just is not on those boards.
the solution is quite simple list relevant cards a touch below ebay and they will sell.
as many mentioned in this thread listing prices cuts thru most of the back and forth nonsense.
Most folks would just like to see cards worthy of purchasing listing prices makes all the sense in the world.
i generally will not buy from someone who don't list pricing and I buy a ton
i am sure a big buyer like Tim feels the same

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I honestly think the only thing keeping the transaction boards unusable is (daily) membership volume. Prices, no prices, makes no difference if no one is using or viewing the boards. How to fix that problem I have no idea. If only 5% of daily members are potential viewers/users and we have a active 200 member user base on any given day then we only have 10 potential users. Now if we had 1000 daily active users and the same 5% potential transaction board users then that jumps to a more then adequate member base for a thriving transaction board. I know this is stating the obvious, but I simply do not see any other obstacle with the transaction board other than a small potential user base.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
From my POV it has much to do with the eBay fee structure. Selling here is bypassing eBay fees. Some sellers want full eBay price and some buyers want the full fee discount from the purchase price. Until buyers and sellers can agree to a 50/50 split on fees these and other transaction site will hurt.

I support price listing and I assume on non-rare cards prices should be listed at average eBay closing cost and that a final purchase price is agreed upon after the total number of cards in the transaction has been established.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I say list price of what you want. Buyers will either buy or offer less. Good advice is to list based on eBay sale prices. When I make an offer here or eBay, I take average of 5 sales hi and low and go from there.

This notice is required by law.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Truth be told, George, I get your point, but that is the same on any boards. I hate to say it, but when I go to buy and sell, I go elsewhere. I can easily make 10-12 deals in a day elsewhere, and lucky to make one deal here a week. So the real question is, how to you get enough people on the transactions board to make fcb a place to go buy and sell? I wish I had some answers, sadly I don't.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Truth be told, George, I get your point, but that is the same on any boards. I hate to say it, but when I go to buy and sell, I go elsewhere. I can easily make 10-12 deals in a day elsewhere, and lucky to make one deal here a week. So the real question is, how to you get enough people on the transactions board to make fcb a place to go buy and sell? I wish I had some answers, sadly I don't.

Agreed

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
The answer is to nut up and bring people here with you and then have the patience to watch it grow. No one does that anymore.
Genuinely not trying to be a dick here Chris, as FCB is the only board I frequent, but things have been a bit unstable here lately, and that tends to drive away potential users.

i.e. sigs being gone today for some reason

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
The answer is to nut up and bring people here with you and then have the patience to watch it grow. No one does that anymore.

Ideally that would be great, but I think we both know that is not really the solution. A while back you had the right idea in creating, harvesting, and putting out original and worthwhile content. The type of material that brings in organic hits and potential members through search engines. The trick is to pull them in once they get here, and keep them. There are many things one can do to grow membership, however most all involve time and money.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

People sell because they need money. I've seen quite a few people who list here and somewhere else and things fly off the shelves. I would love to spend my money here but like matt said, its easy to get deals done elsewhere right now. I hope that changes.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
A lot of times, I'll bypass threads with no prices. I think the main problem is there is hardly anything worth buying. Most threads have either prospects, junk nobody seems to want(ie. mostly players only diehards or the player's moms want), or cards that are high end. You guys had a great idea with the card show and all but even that sucked because the site started bogging down unbelievably. I was excited as hell until this happened. But I don't hold that against you. But if you could do this once a month, people could actually list affordable cards others might actually want, and keep insisting people list prices, you'd probably get more buyers.

Members online

Latest posts