Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Backdoored 2012 Superfractors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I called the company in Texas and left a voice mail for the printing companies owner. Will see what happens.

WaxPax

A few years ago there was a seller on ebay who had many Bowman (non-Chrome) Red Border cards for sale with multiples of each. They were supposed to be 1/1's out of the pack as well. The ones he offered just said "Red border" (assuming everyone would know what it was ) in the title. Apparently there was a thread about this too, has to how he could get a hold of so many sheets that were claimed to be for 1/1's.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
FWIW- From my research, Cartamundi USA Headquarters that the company responsible for shipping out numerous uncut/unstamped 2009 Bowman Red 1/1 sheets to a shop. 106 sheets in that shipment. Sheets came from the printer in TX to shop in MA then cut cards showed up in CT. Unsure if Cartamundi is the parent company or if this "new" printer is not affiliated with them. Either way, Topps was made aware of the 2009 issue and you would think they would put operating procedures in place to stop this to protect their brand. Ahh... who am I kidding.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I remember seeing a superfractor of jurickson profar that didnt come numbered.
Jurickson Profar 2012 Bowman Platimun Superfrator Error No 1 1 on Card | eBay

I just searched for it again and saw that it had been graded.
Jurickson Profar 2012 Bowman Platinum Prospects Superfractor True 1 1 BGS 9 5 | eBay

Yeah, sadly Beckett lists these in their OPG and grades these unstamped cards. I sent about 5+ in from the 2009 Bowman Red issues and they all came back slabbed.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The Beckett OPG doesn't price them, I would assume due to rarity. The two sets are listed like this:

2009 Bowman Red #107 Xavier Nady SER 1 n/a
2009 Bowman Red Unnumbered #107 Xavier Nady - n/a

I'm glad the OPG does list them as it helps to spread the word that there are unnumbered versions out there so buyers should be careful.

WaxPax

Weird how BGS consider them to be real "cards", as I remember it being mentioned they were cut from sheets after the fact (By whomever obtained the sheets). I guess they did a good job to get a 9.5, I would have assumed they (BGS) would have classified them as altered or trimmed cards....

emarc27

Oct 6, 2010
NYC-->St. Louis
I hate to sound foolish, but in this instance, does "backdoor" simply mean someone not working for the printing company gained access to some cards? Or that same scenario, but with a worker from the company? Or a completely different scenario?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
"Back door" meaning someone either at the printing location or pack out location or Topps replacement dept. or wherever took something that was or wasn't (wasn't in this case) supposed to be in packs and snuck it out the "back door" to try and move. So yes, someone with access took something out that shouldn't have been released, any of your scenarios apply

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Seems very possible that every 1/1 and rare card will eventually be backdoored onto the market.
Here are 300+ more superfractors mostly from TNT.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=topps+1%2F1+-plate+-sketch&_sop=10&_osacat=213&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xsuperfractor+test.TRS0&_nkw=superfractor+test&_sacat=213
Since backdoored, or "test run" in the auction, basically means the cards were illegally taken from Topps or the printing plant, can Topps have eBay end these auctions?
What's the difference in TNT selling these cards and anyone selling stolen property, even if they aren't the ones who stole them. It's still against the law.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Since backdoored, or "test run" in the auction, basically means the cards were illegally taken from Topps or the printing plant, can Topps have eBay end these auctions?
What's the difference in TNT selling these cards and anyone selling stolen property, even if they aren't the ones who stole them. It's still against the law.

It certainly seems Topps is committing consumer fraud by doing nothing. Maybe someone could tweet this thread to Topps.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
It certainly seems Topps is committing consumer fraud by doing nothing. Maybe someone could tweet this thread to Topps.

The 2009s TNT has if you look at the back listed as superfractor under the card number. This is interesting as I don't think any of the other backdoor issues have this:

$(KGrHqV,!qEFG0rcY2+3BR3h5Etn1g~~60_57.JPG

deujr61

Mar 8, 2011
Illinois
After reading this thread I started wondering about this card I bought on ebay 10/29 from a 'Top Rated Seller' in Indiana with over 18,000 feedback.

Do you think it was backdoored or an actual printing error?

Hate to bump an old thread but, I would like some more input on this unnumbered Super I purchased.

2012 Bowman Chrome was released on Oct. 17, 2012. I purchased unnumbered Super on Oct. 29, 2012 less than 2 weeks from release. If I remember correctly Seller stated in listing 'card was pack pulled and was thinking of contacting Topps about missing numbering'.

I have measured card and it meets exact measurements (maybe a hair short top/bottom). My first question is Could someone have received and cut a sheet in that short amount of time from release and put it up for sale? Also, I just searched eBay completed for 2012 Bowman Chrome Superfractor Test and only one unnumbered (non auto version) came up. Should there not be more if a whole sheet was cut?

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 2012bc078sf1of1b.jpg
    2012bc078sf1of1b.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2012bc078sf1of1.jpg
    2012bc078sf1of1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 42

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Hate to bump an old thread but, I would like some more input on this unnumbered Super I purchased.

2012 Bowman Chrome was released on Oct. 17, 2012. I purchased unnumbered Super on Oct. 29, 2012 less than 2 weeks from release. If I remember correctly Seller stated in listing 'card was pack pulled and was thinking of contacting Topps about missing numbering'.

I have measured card and it meets exact measurements (maybe a hair short top/bottom). My first question is Could someone have received and cut a sheet in that short amount of time from release and put it up for sale? Also, I just searched eBay completed for 2012 Bowman Chrome Superfractor Test and only one unnumbered (non auto version) came up. Should there not be more if a whole sheet was cut?

if unnumbered it was backdoored and not pack pulled

A_Pharis

These sheets usually come backdoored from the printer so it it's very likely someone could get one in hand before the product even releases. Time frame doesn't really mean a whole lot in this situation.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Do you have another 2012 Super to compare it to?

I only own one (a 2010), but it's easy to tell the difference. The backdoored Super is poor quality and looks hazy.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
These sheets usually come backdoored from the printer so it it's very likely someone could get one in hand before the product even releases. Time frame doesn't really mean a whole lot in this situation.

Do you have another 2012 Super to compare it to?

I only own one (a 2010), but it's easy to tell the difference. The backdoored Super is poor quality and looks hazy.

I good friend of mine that works in the printing industry, has all kinds of stuff at his house that was from what they printed and released to the public for a variety of clients. And only he knows what is wrong with it since he printed it. But still cool none the less.....And some of them are movie posters that never got released. The movie and the poster :lol: He says everyone at his work takes at least one item they print even if it is good or not........

So this guy may have the hook-up with someone that works for the printing company and gets them right after or just before release

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado

I own the Carlos Gonzalez 2012 Bowman Chrome Superfractor. It has the 1/1 serial # on the back. Yours is a backdoored issue.

d3c7e267b6f99c8383b55404ae1114f8e317c861.display.jpg
2ca8b39f824d944575c12d7557c981651e9339c6.display.jpg

Latest posts