Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So, does Jeter go First Ballot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Napoli started the all star game in 2012. It's a fan vote, and they vote for who they like. Yankees have the largest fan base.

Are you seriously going to tell me that the only reason Jeter is a HOFer and a first ballot one at that is because he played in NYC? Lemme guess Ty Cobb only got in because he stuck around for 22+ years or Gehrig only got in because he played in a couple games in a row.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
hof.jpg

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Are you seriously going to tell me that the only reason Jeter is a HOFer and a first ballot one at that is because he played in NYC? Lemme guess Ty Cobb only got in because he stuck around for 22+ years or Gehrig only got in because he played in a couple games in a row.

No. I am saying the only way he is a first ballot is as a Yankee. He'd be a HOFer no matter what.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
There's no question he's 1st ballot.

What will be interesting is the percentage. I think it should represent your talent to a large degree. If he gets to 90% even, I can accept that. Yount got 77%, while Ted Williams got 93%. Jeter is closer, statistically, to one of those guys, so you tell me what Jeter's percentage should be.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
haterade.png

Definite 1st ballot, not 100%

Not worth posting an argument why 1st ballot, anyone with some Google skills can research why.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind anybody being a "1st ballot" HOFer or not? When did this ludicrous aspect of HOF voting even begin to be an issue? A player is a HOFer or he isn't. If it's inevitable he's going to go in, why hold it back anyway? Is there a wing in the HOF for those voted in on the first ballot?

Personally, I think it's just a dumb issue made up by moronic reporters that vote these guys in. Probably pissed they couldn't make it past their JV team in high school.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind anybody being a "1st ballot" HOFer or not? When did this ludicrous aspect of HOF voting even begin to be an issue? A player is a HOFer or he isn't. If it's inevitable he's going to go in, why hold it back anyway? Is there a wing in the HOF for those voted in on the first ballot?

Personally, I think it's just a dumb issue made up by moronic reporters that vote these guys in. Probably pissed they couldn't make it past their JV team in high school.

its so they can make sure they have people for every year so cooperstown doesnt lose a buttload of money if there is no ceremony.

But i completely agree, you are either a HOFer or youre not. Doesnt matter how many years it takes you to get in.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

Personally, the HOF is a Yes/No thing, decided right after retirement.

But the writers consider themselves "guardians of the game", making sure they regulate how it is seen for historical purposes. Think of Robert Duvall's locker room speech to Redford in The Natural and how the player was just a piece but the writer will always "be here".

Some writers have Valid concerns, and even though I dis-agree with their Reasoning, I can see it. Some say that since Ruth, Mantle, Mays, etc. weren't Unanimous, no one should be. Again, I dis-agree. Others are just trying to make a Point. Either personal (like the Delco writer who cost Schmidt a vote 'cuz he didn't like his demeanor) or to "protect" the game for PEDers or those they don't deem worth it.

And to the OP, unless something brutal off-the-field or PED-related happens, Jeter is in on the First Ballot, no question.

Last edited:

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I can understand valid concerns about a player going in or not (PEDs), but the whole aspect of "well so and so wasn't unanimous or get in on first ballot yada yada yada" just doesn't hold water for me at all. Essentially, the writers are just continuing a poor system of the writers. Not voting on players because the players do/don't deserve to get in, but because of OTHER writers from years past and how they decided to vote for whatever reason.

Personally, the HOF is a Yes/No thing, decided right after retirement.

But the writers consider themselves "guardians of the game", making sure they regulate how it is seen for historical purposes. Think of Robert Duvall's locker room speech to Redford in The Natural and how the player was just a piece but the writer will always "be here".

Some writers have Valid concerns, and even though I dis-agree with their Reasoning, I can see it. Some say that since Ruth, Mantle, Mays, etc. weren't Unanimous, no one should be. Again, I dis-agree. Others are just trying to make a Point. Either personal (like the Delco writer who cost Schmidt a vote 'cuz he didn't like his demeanor) or to "protect" the game for PEDers or those they don't deem worth it.

And to the OP, unless something brutal off-the-field or PED-related happens, Jeter is in on the First Ballot, no question.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
You're really using his all star appearances? Wasn't he voted into the all star game last year when he never even played!? People vote for that and it has no relevance for anything related to the HOF. Also, he has never been a good defender and won GG's because he didn't make errors. The guy was just above average for a long time. He should not be first ballot.

What part of 6th all time on the hits list is "just above average" in your mind? And to do it as a SS makes it even more impressive doesn't it? Especially with 5 rings. Honestly curious why you don't think that makes him worthy of being an automatic 1st ballot guy.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
The HOF should change to one year on the ballot. Then maybe the idiot voters would vote in a reasonable way.

Would also probably weed out all of the guys who shouldn't be in the HOF. Its clear. You're either a HOF or not. The whole 15 years or however long players stay on a ballot is stupid. 1 and done.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The HOF should change to one year on the ballot. Then maybe the idiot voters would vote in a reasonable way.

Would also probably weed out all of the guys who shouldn't be in the HOF. Its clear. You're either a HOF or not. The whole 15 years or however long players stay on a ballot is stupid. 1 and done.
I don't disagree at all.

As for the years, I think they lowered the years now... right?

Members online

Latest posts