Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

*NEW* 'Five for Five' - Ken Griffey Jr.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
In an attempt to offer something a bit out of the ordinary, I present to you for consideration the inaugural edition of what I am going to call the “Five for Five” list. The premise is simple, you are looking to start a new player collection, have $500 to throw down, and want 5 nice cards to start with. What should you get? Hopefully this, and all subsequent ‘Five for Five’ player lists will offer a bit of direction, and at the very least, something to discuss…

'Five for Five' – Ken Griffey Jr

kg1.png

1989 Upper Deck RC
This is somewhat of a no brainer, every Griffey Jr collection/collector should have one but with untold millions of them out there I would consider separating the wheat from the chaff and getting a BGS 9.5. Not only to add a bit of respective rarity but also to ensure you are getting a quality copy. This should run you no more than $150 with a bit of looking

kg3.png

1997 Upper Deck Game Jersey Ken Griffey Jr
This particular card (and set) is a landmark in our hobby. It is one of the most sought after ‘Game Used’ sets and the Griffey is the key card to own. As such it is heavily collected and carries a steep value with respect to traditional jersey cards. This card is a foundation to build a nice Griffey PC around. A nice copy can be found in the $225 range if you keep an eye out.

kg4.png

2005 Upper Deck Origins Autograph

No Griffey Jr Collection could, or would, be complete without at least one nice autograph and the 2005 Upper Deck Origins on card offering is as good as it gets. The design is clean and the vintage feel really makes the Griffey on card auto stand out as something a bit different than the slew of other pack pulled offerings to date. You will not break the bank here either as you can expect to find a clean copy for about 40 bucks!

kg5.png

1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Red

Hardly any part of our hobby is in more demand than the rarer 1990’s inserts and no Griffey Jr personal collection starter kit would be worth its weight in salt without one. The Pinnacle Certified Mirror Red offers a good balance of demand for a reasonable value. A clean copy could run you upwards of $40 and instantly adds a bit of credibility to the collection out of the gate!

kg2.png

2008 UD Sweet Spot Bat Barrel Auto /230

Last we have a super nice 2008 UD Sweet Spot Bat Barrel Auto to round off the Five for Five list. Sweet Spot autographs are/were a staple of our hobby for years and some of the finest examples were autographed by the Kid himself. At the current price it is a injustice for any Griffey collector not to have one for the collection. A bit of shopping can land you this beauty for under $50!

So there we have it, a legitimate start to a formidable Ken Griffey Jr PC. Five cards and $500 down, and we have already checked off a few must haves as well as covered a lot of bases with regards to era(s). I hope you all enjoyed the inaugural installment and keep an eye out for more ‘Five for Five’ list’s in the near future!

*Disclaimer: No cards listed above are actually for sale by me, refrenced for entertainment purpose only.

Last edited:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks guys, just wanted to add a little something, and I kinda like to have fun with it! :)

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Is this going to be a daily thing or just whenever you feel like it?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Cool idea. Only thing I'd swap out is that Sweet Spot. Gotta be another auto out there in that price range, I think even most Griffey collectors would have a Sox auto way down at the bottom of their preferences list

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Cant go wrong with Griffey :)

Being the quinticential Griffey collector here, how do you feel about the list? Is it a good list of 5 cards for $500 if looking to begin a Griffey PC? Would you have gone another direction?

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
Agree with #'s 1,2 and 4.I'd swap 3 out with either a 5-star or gypsy auto,and #5 out with a ultimate patch.

:Thunbup: an cool thread idea!

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Personally, I only buy Griffey items in a Mariners uniform but to each his own. I agree on the player though! :)

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Awesome list1 I really like it, thanks for making it.
The only thing I would do is swap this card for number 5.

griffeyauto.jpg

Other than that, very cool!

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would think that one of these would be one of the highlights of a Griffey collection..

griffey-500hr-1.jpg

I was actually torn between this card and the 1997 one I picked instead. None the less, if the list was any longer it probablly would have made it!

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Personally, I only buy Griffey items in a Mariners uniform but to each his own. I agree on the player though! :)

I actually considered this notion while building the list, but seeing how he played many years as a Red as well (and most Griffey collectors I know simpy collect everything they can of his), I decided not to segregate his cardstock and made it more reflective of what I think the average collector of his would want.

Members online

Latest posts