Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I often wondered about this being a game used collector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Ouch, I wonder if "special event" are more prone to this when compared to a regular game.......how does this play forward to the AS Game and MLB Playoffs?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There are stories of players enhancing the supply of gamers. Gaylord Perry, I think, would change jerseys mid-game so he'd have 2 to sell. And Pete Rose, IIRC, changed his t-shirt every inning and sold all of them. But at least those were actually game-worn. This is just complete BS. What's amazing is that Manning makes millions, and while taking in 5 figures or so isn't nothing, is it really worth it to get caught (if that's what has happened)?

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
It doesn't surprise me that this happened. I bet we'd all be shocked at how many fakes there are in our hobby that have been passed as authentic. Whether it's autographs, or "game used."

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
What gets me cant Eli afford to just buy it from steiner or the who ever sells it? Why rip off fans knowingly

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I can understand where Manning wants his game-used momentos for himself and could care less about the memorabilia market - it's pretty arrogant for a professional athlete to deceive fans.

On the other hand who is getting hurt? It's mostly for the schmoes who think they can buy a piece of a pro athlete's accomplishments / achievements.

As long as money is involved, this stuff will continue to be shady and unfortunately it won't stop.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I've said it once and I'll say it again... perception is reality when it comes to GU baseball cards. I have TONS of Albert Belle GU cards and who the hell knows if any of them are real, fake or just an allusion. It's sad but true.

For anyone questioning GU stuff or worried about it, I'd tell them to stick to autographs... even the really cool ones on clear stickers!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
^^ Um the people paying large amounts if money for what they feel are legit items are the ones getting hurt the most. You don't see that as bad ?

What is wrong with a collector wanting pieces of sports history ? Not sure how that makes em bad people or "schmoes" ?

I own a few pieces, as well as some of the memorabilia owned by other members , wouldn't be classified as cheap. We paid for the items based on the significance or rarity attached to the item. If we were to find out we were deceived with intent etc. I for one would be hurt and no I wouldn't be ok with just eating the $ and moving on.

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^^ Um the people paying large amounts if money for what they feel are legit items are the ones getting hurt the most. You don't see that as bad ?

What is wrong with a collector wanting pieces of sports history ? Not sure how that makes em bad people or "schmoes" ?

I own a few pieces, as well as some of the memorabilia owned by other members , wouldn't be classified as cheap. We paid for the items based on the significance or rarity attached to the item. If we were to find out we were deceived with intent etc. I for one would be hurt and no I wouldn't be ok with just eating the $ and moving on.

Ryan
I'm assuming this is at [MENTION=2451]Lars[/MENTION] and not me.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008

Ryan

Maybe it's just my envy/jealousy but reading supposed scams like this is like watching a train wreck or car crash - I can't help feeling sorry for those who bought the fake GU items and it opens my eyes to questioning the legitimacy of anything that is supposedly GU - but it's not my problem.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Maybe it's just my envy/jealousy but reading supposed scams like this is like watching a train wreck or car crash - I can't help feeling sorry for those who bought the fake GU items and it opens my eyes to questioning the legitimacy of anything that is supposedly GU - but it's not my problem.

The scammers / frauds / selling with intent to deceive are scum. Those who purchase aren't and are hurt from such acts. If players are really behind some of the fraud themselves , then it's even a sadder story.

Mac - yes your post came up as u was typing I guess so the arrows went to your reply on accident

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Interesting but certainly not hard to believe. This is why I'd rather not delve too heavily into the GU realm. The cards I can take with a grain of salt and still be ok with them. I guess I just figured it would be easier to secure game used items due to players being issued several pieces of equipment for every game and the equipment being worth far more used than not. You'd think they be ok with it and would split the money.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
So today after hearing the Giants deny this went on I started to doubt the source since it was one of the scammers arrested (along with JO sports clowns) for faking memorabilia making these claims. He fought it and they dropped the case but all the others plead guilty. But one thing that kept jumping out at me was the claim the the HOF helmet is a fake. Then I seen a guy over at GUU claiming he has seen the actual helmet and in fact the one at the HOF is a fake...

So now I dont know whats going on heh

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=59152&page=3

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Whay are people surprised about this?

It's worth being surprised about. The reason it doesn't surprise me as much is because the one thing about this hobby that seems to put it in another stratosphere compared to any other is the sheer amount if shady people. I've never seen any other hobby with people like this in this quantity.

But if you choose to be in the hobby, it's one thing to go get gu stuff from Joe Schmoe on eBay. It's another to get fake stuff from Steiner, an actual team, or see it in the HOF. IMO, if it comes to light this really happened, Eli and anyone else involved should have to serve prison time just like the rest of us would. I think it would be a good message to send. Stop being shady!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

Wow, this is a great piece. Just crazy if you ask me. Odds are good that 50% or more of out GU cards are not actually what they're said to be. Heard it here first, GU cards is a huge scam and were all falling for it, including me with Belle stuff.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Members online

Latest posts