Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Game used Cards - Is anyone still a fanatic over them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
game-used-jersey-bat-and-relic-cards-8.jpg

I was organizing some stuff this past week and ended up putting away a dozen or so GU cards. These are mostly random cards that I win for one reason or another. Usually it's a certain player, team or set based design. I know that covers almost any possible card, but what I mean is that I might see a certain design I like and grab it because it is a Dodger or a player I kind of collect. I don't buy GU cards for the sake of them being GU cards. They simply are another level of insert to me now. Rod Carew is a good example. I can't afford to collect Rod Carew at the level I do Steve Garvey, but I will still grab a neat Carew here and there. Aside from my Steve Garvey collection, I have about 2.5 super shoe boxes filled with GU cards that I have collected since they began to insert them into packs. Most of them were obtained at least 10+ years ago. I have added very few in that same time frame.

Anyway, as I was putting away the new acquisitions, I was reminded of some of the GU cards I had picked up over the years and sort of forgot about. When GU cards first hit the market, I was pretty excited about them, as many others were as well. It was an amazing concept, owning a little piece of something your favorite player touched or wore. You couldn't afford the entire bat or jersey, but I small piece was almost as good! It was not too long after though, that not only were they being overproduced, but doubt was cast upon the entire concept. Were these small swatches of material and wood slivers ACTUALLY items not only OWNED by the player pictured, but also actually USED in a game. I mean, that was the huge draw, right? You could just as easily cut up 2x4s, firewood, old goodwill leftover clothes & little league uniforms and insert them into cards and consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They would be meaningless at that point then.

When they were a new concept, my thought was that it would be cool to get as many different star/HOF and especially Dodger players on a GU item. I was never a huge fan of them outside of a few really cool designs and of course, the Garvey side of the collection. I would still grab a few here and there, but never went in for any at big prices. At some point, I just stopped looking for them at all. It would take something pretty special for me to take notice and try to buy one, so the collection slowed to a near halt. As I looked through them this week, a small spark lit. It is not something that I will begin to chase again per se, but it makes me really wonder what is out there that I missed. Much like certified autographs, which I am much more in tune with, I have no idea what is out there for GU cards in the last decade +. I don't buy wax anymore, so this is more of a guess on my part, but it kind of feels like with the exception of Leaf (another story all together!), a lot of manufacturers have backed off the concept a lot. They still issue some sets, but it is not like it was in the early 2000s, where there were multiple GU sets in every product. Autographs have seemingly taken over as the "go to" premium insert of choice now.

So I ask if anyone is still actively chasing GU cards in general? I don't mean player collectors, as that is a given. Team collectors are close to being excluded as well, because most hardcore team collectors seem to want anything and everything, so it is once again assumed that you are chasing all of the Dodgers, Yankees, A's, Brewers, etc. What I am really looking for are people that buy them as a primary focus? I'm sure there are HOF and AS subsets, but who is still scooping up GU cards of anyone and everyone to build their collections?

Feel free to share some of your favorite GU card designs. As much as the super elite, high end giant patch tag & button cards are amazing to view, they are not always anything special other than a huge pile of $$$. Here are a couple of those designs that really caught my eye. most are older, because I am not in the GU game any longer. s-l500.jpgbob-aaron-and-bret-boone-2001-topps-game-used-triple-bat-jersey-relic-number-613_ss2_p-1323400...jpgs-l400.jpg

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 12

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I still pick up game-used cards of stars and hall of famers like Griffey Jr. etc here and there but overall, I tend to steer clear of game-used unless it's of older, 70's and before era players because they don't tend to hold their value too well unless it's an autographed game-used card.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
As a player collector I do go after them, but not because I think they're awesome. It's just because they're on my checklist. I've never been really into them and never will be.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
It was definitely something to chase in 1997 when UD did them, but I don't go out of my way to obtain them unless needed for my PC.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I've always cringed at the thought of cutting up game used gear just to insert into cards. I do pick them up every now and then for my PC but not because they are game used (or "player worn"), but because I enjoy the design of the card.

2004-Leaf-Certified-Materials-#217-Mirror-Blue-Position-Jersey.png

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I will only buy GU or their aesthetic value. I treat them as another insert. I feel there are very few significant releases, unless from significant games like World Series or milestones. Topps Now does it well.

I won't pay hundreds for guys like Ruth, Gehrig and Cobb. Would rather put that type of money towards their vintage cards.

My latest pick up, (not my actual card, scan from COMC):

Mariano-Rivera.jpg

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Agree with most here. GU are just a variation or insert for me. Have to treat them as aesthetic, but also must assume that the items have NOTHING to do with the players.

Most of the companies that sourced them are defunct, thus the authenticity guarantees are worthless, including Topps in my opinion because of how they have clealry and intentionally for lawyer advised reaosns changed the statements on their cards over the years.

I just picked up 3 cheapy Clemens at a local show yesterday, because my quest is as many DIFFERENT cards of him as I can get. Got them cuz I dont have them, not cuz they are "GU" or "relics". But I dont ever pay more than 5-10 bux for them.

I would never buy a vintage player like Williams or mantle because I dont believe for a SECOND that they were player worn or even player owned materials. I'd buy their old cards first.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I agree with most here as well. When they first came out, I thought it was a really cool idea (I've never been a buyer of them though). However, as the years went by, I really have no faith in them at all. Too many horror stories about swatches being put in a wrong card, or how the companies have acquired them, to the wording getting changed and cleverly written. For retired players (even as early as the 90's), it's hard for me to imagine that there's this many jerseys/bats out there for them to be in so many releases ever year. Current guys I understand a little more since there's a market for their items, they can get a new jersey or bats frequently to support old ones being cut up, but for guys who played when there wasn't a GU card market, I just don't see it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Lots of good points. I read somewhere how many swatches a typical jersey created, but I don't recall. it was in the 100s, but I tend to agree that premium jerseys can only stretch so far. I am not completely in the belief that many are fake (I believe most are as advertised), but the odds of SOME of them being regular old replica jerseys are better than average in my opinion.

Maybe Tanner can give us a better idea. I know he did jersey and bats that were worn and touched by Canseco. Not sure he cut them down completely though.

A lot of my obscure Dodger players have not been featured on a lot of GU issues, so it tends to make it more believable that x number were made and that was it.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
So I sell off of the normal platforms and GU cards are still a huge draw for people that aren't in the collectibles world. I've probably moved 40ish of them this year.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I think it depends on the card.. Some are rare or unique.. some are just plain..
These are both 1/1's.. but since they are Edgar cards, I collect them..
The Flag patch is from the extremely limited "Spirit of the USA" set where they picked only 15 players out of all of MLB to get the Flag they wore on the back of their jersey when they started playing after 9/11 and I have two of them..

flag2.jpg

prime1a-real.jpg prime1b-real.jpg

shawn-green.jpg

As most of the members that know me, know I have been putting the 2009 Ultimate Jumbo Patch card set together.. (133 cards)
Some of them are plain and some of them are amazing.. There are some players like Clemente or Williams in the set as well as some players like Edgar and Griffey.
Griffey is in the set as a Mariner and as a Red.. You can find the Mariner's patch cards pretty easy but the Griffey Red's patch is extremely rare. (I've only seen 5 of them since 2009 and luckily I have one of them)

Griffey-31a.JPG

67-griffey.jpg

Several years ago, we had some members that were going for the older patch/jersey cards as we didn't see them to often..

Here's a few from when I snagged some..

this is numbered 1/2
mathews-1a.jpg

This is numbered 2/2
mathews-2a.jpg

I hope that collectors get the cards that they like and people can see them.. there are some cards that will never be seen again that are in members collections..

Have a good day..

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Here are a few of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3136.jpg
    IMG_3136.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I don't really get very excited by them anymore unless it's a pre-war player, like others have said - it's just another card. With that being said, I do try to get a GU card for anybody that has played for the A's if there are any available. The designs are often lazy, which really goes way back to the beginnings of GU cards...the beautiful era of '90s inserts was ended because card companies saw that buyers at the time were more interested in GU and autos, so they decreased the time and effort spent on design and shifted it to just plopping GU and autos in the packs.

There are definitely plenty of exceptions, below are some of my favorite GU designs where the GU piece is highlighted in a nice way or incorporated in a way that actually enhances the card. I'm not talking about stuff that just looks great because it's a cool patch.

02toppsprimecutsauto.jpg 02spbatgrove.jpg 04udttteamterrific.jpg

canseco03tributejsy.jpg grieve99udpiece.jpg 02tcacesjsy.jpg 01udggleatherizzy.jpg

14tsuppatchauto.jpg 14ttripbookjsy6.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have that Timeless Teams card and I thought one of the bat pieces had fallen out when I looked at it. I didn't pay attention close enough to notice it was a jersey piece!

I get the feeling that most replying are what I would call "specialty collectors", like myself. We mostly buy them as a checklist item within a deeper collection theme. I know there were people scooping up GU specifically because they were GU cards early on. I suspect most of those buyers have dropped off by now.

Members online

Latest posts