Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Huge Pick-up from back when they did cut auto's the right way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
If any company does a cut auto set and actually pays attention to the quality of the signature and paper it is on, it would be huge.

Always loved this set and a part of me is dying to slowly build it. At /16 copies I imagine that many going for the set don't have this one, even if their budgets allow for it:

Foxx 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Auto 14 16.JPG

Last edited:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
The sheer number of massive cuts in that set is astonishing.

Jackie Robinson /147!!!
Honus Wagner /27!!
Walter Johnson /113!!!!!!!!

113 Big Train cuts is bonkers! I bet there hasn't been 113 total since 2001!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Jackie Robinson /147!!!
Honus Wagner /27!!

Yeah that's nuts. That's more than a decade's worth of cuts for those same names now.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
What? You mean you don't like cuts of other pack-released autos or cuts that cut off half of the sigs?

:) Exactly. Here the sig is well centered, not cut off and from a clean piece of paper. (It also looks to be a 10 auto.)

Jackie Robinson /147!!!
Honus Wagner /27!!

UD clearly put a ton of effort into creating this set and based on the numbers probably did not really think ahead when putting so many in the same set. With so many of some of the huge names (there are also 73 Maris's I believe) as guy like Foxx having just 16 makes is a super tough card. I have to imagine there are plenty of people who have (slowly) tried to piece together the set.

Yeah that's nuts. That's more than a decade's worth of cuts for those same names now.

I almost wonder if UD had not planned on making the set more than once initially. It is hard to imagine that they put so many super expensive rare autographs in the set and believed they could purchase similar quantities the following year.

But great pickup!

Thanks! In my mind this is one of the iconic sets of the "modern" era of baseball cards.

It is a beautiful Double X!

Thanks. He has a really nice signature, although it could be sloppy at times, so was really nice to see this one which is so neat.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I 've heard of Redd Foxx and Jamie Foxx but who is this Jimmie Foxx character ;)

Beautiful card!! I never went down the cut signature route, I have slabbed index cards or GPC's, but that card makes me want to. Congrats again!!

Do you have others from that Legendary Cuts set?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
That is insanely awesome, sir.

Some day I need to pick up a cut from this set. I think a lot of the Cobbs had green (check) cuts. I want one

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It was around $120 a box at release, which seems reasonable today considering what you MIGHT pull, but generally speaking the boxes were awful. Chances are you'd end up with 2/3 of a base set and a Jim Fregosi bat card. The cuts were tough pulls, about 0.5 per case or less as I recall. The cut checklist was far-ranging from Ruth, Cobb, and Johnson to Stan Coveleski, Mark Koenig, and Ted Lyons. Quantities were very varied, too. I think this might have been the first set to use sigs cut from checks, so that's why there were 4 different DiMaggio sigs totalling 500 copies, just 16 Foxxes, for instance, as the DiMaggio estate kept all his cancelled checks. I think the Johnsons, Jackie Robinsons, and some others were, too.

There was some big competition on the cut sig set back in the day. I bought a Burleigh Grimes #10 /18 when it came out. I paid something like $225, which I instantly regretted. But I felt better a little while later when I sold it for about $1200 as some rich guys entered the market and started paying incredible prices (I decided to sell after another Grimes went for over $2K, as I recall). My particular copy ended up grading a PSA 10 and being entered in the MOSH registry set, which still exists but has been degraded. It used to be I think a single 1/1 cut away from completion, all 9s and 10s.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
Love that set. Made some decent money on a few of those and better yet picked up two of the biggies for what was a great price then, and highway robbery by today's prices.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I am a foodservice director at a retirement community. I have a lady who is 106 years old. She still has all her marbles and is very active here. The kicker to all this is she dated Jimmie Foxx in high school. She showed me the picture. I was amazed and thought that was the coolest thing ever. I showed her my Foxx game worn cards and she couldn't believe they cut up his uniform into small pieces like that to put in a card instead of a museum. I agreed but told her that is the craze that started in 1996. What is even crazier is he died in 1967 and she has outlived him for almost fifty years. He choked to death when he lived in Florida. I need her to find the picture and I will post it here.......

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I was watching that. Congrats on the HUGE amazing pickup

Thanks.

I 've heard of Redd Foxx and Jamie Foxx but who is this Jimmie Foxx character :wink:

Beautiful card!! I never went down the cut signature route, I have slabbed index cards or GPC's, but that card makes me want to. Congrats again!!

Do you have others from that Legendary Cuts set?

In general I'm not a huge fan of paying more for a card than a cut autograph, but in my mind 2001 SP Legendary Cuts is an iconic set, and the cards are beautifully done.

This is the only card I have from the set currently. I used to own a Jackie from the set. I actually saw a Walter Johnson tonight at a card show and may have a chance at a different big name in the set as well.

Amazing card. Definitely one of the best sets.

Thanks!

That is insanely awesome, sir.

Some day I need to pick up a cut from this set. I think a lot of the Cobbs had green (check) cuts. I want one

Yup many of the Cobb's were green. Crazy, I think the Cobb was /24 or something.

Love that set. Made some decent money on a few of those and better yet picked up two of the biggies for what was a great price then, and highway robbery by today's prices.

Mind if I ask who you've picked up?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I am a foodservice director at a retirement community. I have a lady who is 106 years old. She still has all her marbles and is very active here. The kicker to all this is she dated Jimmie Foxx in high school. She showed me the picture. I was amazed and thought that was the coolest thing ever. I showed her my Foxx game worn cards and she couldn't believe they cut up his uniform into small pieces like that to put in a card instead of a museum. I agreed but told her that is the craze that started in 1996. What is even crazier is he died in 1967 and she has outlived him for almost fifty years. He choked to death when he lived in Florida. I need her to find the picture and I will post it here.......

That's amazing. Please post the picture when you find it!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
It was around $120 a box at release, which seems reasonable today considering what you MIGHT pull, but generally speaking the boxes were awful. Chances are you'd end up with 2/3 of a base set and a Jim Fregosi bat card. The cuts were tough pulls, about 0.5 per case or less as I recall. The cut checklist was far-ranging from Ruth, Cobb, and Johnson to Stan Coveleski, Mark Koenig, and Ted Lyons. Quantities were very varied, too. I think this might have been the first set to use sigs cut from checks, so that's why there were 4 different DiMaggio sigs totalling 500 copies, just 16 Foxxes, for instance, as the DiMaggio estate kept all his cancelled checks. I think the Johnsons, Jackie Robinsons, and some others were, too.

There was some big competition on the cut sig set back in the day. I bought a Burleigh Grimes #10 /18 when it came out. I paid something like $225, which I instantly regretted. But I felt better a little while later when I sold it for about $1200 as some rich guys entered the market and started paying incredible prices (I decided to sell after another Grimes went for over $2K, as I recall). My particular copy ended up grading a PSA 10 and being entered in the MOSH registry set, which still exists but has been degraded. It used to be I think a single 1/1 cut away from completion, all 9s and 10s.

There were definitely some people working on the complete set. With the variable print runs, most of the cards could be had if someone was willing to spend enough and be patient. Those number for the Grimes are insane though!

I believe you are right on the signed checks. And also about it being a very hit or miss break, although there were some great game-used cards as well. For some big names there were probably more cut auto's in that set than the players have had in all other sets combined!

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I saw that foxx but didn't set a snipe
it ended ore then I would've paid anyways
great great pickup

Members online

Latest posts