Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When are teams going to do their home work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Case in point. The Atlanta Braves. B.J. Upton. He had a career avg of .252, slug .420 and is being paid $13,000,000 a year. His numbers this year are showing what they are going to get,an avg player at best. The guy sucked in Tampa and the fans here are glad he is gone. So Atlanta what were you thinking? Yes yes I know they say he has a great upside and potential. The Rays were waiting for that for the last 8 years.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
They've both been fairly consistent 3+ WAR OFers for the last 5+ years. I'd probably rather have Victorino if only because it's only a 3 year commitment, even though he's 4 years older. Much easier to get away from a 3/39 contract than a 5/75 deal

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
They've both been fairly consistent 3+ WAR OFers for the last 5+ years. I'd probably rather have Victorino if only because it's only a 3 year commitment, even though he's 4 years older. Much easier to get away from a 3/39 contract than a 5/75 deal

I would personally rather have Upton because he can play CF adequately and the fact he is will be in his prime for more years of the contract. I will say that doesn't seem to be any bargains on the free agent market. They all have warts.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think you're discounting the fact that his brother probably likes having him there. I'm not sure how you can put a value on that right now, but the Braves shouldn't be complaining about much....

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
It's not that teams don't do their Homework. The research done, even on the end of the bench guys, is mind-boggling.

It's that EVERY year in EVERY sport there is a bunch of teams that OVER pay WAAAAY too much because their Management team thinks they can change a career under-achiever.

Most times, I'd say over 90%, it doesn't work very well.

The smart teams in all sports develop thru the draft and with SOME, usually lower priced, free agents that fit their system/needs. Seems to work ALOT better and more consistently...

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I think you're discounting the fact that his brother probably likes having him there. I'm not sure how you can put a value on that right now, but the Braves shouldn't be complaining about much....

Too busy waiting on uggla to be gone after overpaying him

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
It's not that teams don't do their Homework. The research done, even on the end of the bench guys, is mind-boggling.

It's that EVERY year in EVERY sport there is a bunch of teams that OVER pay WAAAAY too much because their Management team thinks they can change a career under-achiever.

Most times, I'd say over 90%, it doesn't work very well.

The smart teams in all sports develop thru the draft and with SOME, usually lower priced, free agents that fit their system/needs. Seems to work ALOT better and more consistently...

Atlanta has a good track record of turning players around.

saraceno21

Oct 18, 2012
Atlanta didn't pay 75m in the hopes they could "turn around" BJ Upton. They knew exactly what they were getting. His contract was the going rate. A guy that does what he does is paid like that in MLB.

WildGinge

Jan 25, 2013
Atlanta didn't pay 75m in the hopes they could "turn around" BJ Upton. They knew exactly what they were getting. His contract was the going rate. A guy that does what he does is paid like that in MLB.

Pretty much agree with this. He's provided that level of value over the course of his career. I'd probably fall into the 'overpaid' camp, if pushed, as I think 4/56 would probably get it done too. I'm glad it's not the Brewers who are paying him but there are far worse contracts out there than Upton's.

Members online