Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Amazing 90s/2000s insert topic - football time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
A few I've got stashed away at COMC:

fcae501f-0a29-4be7-9810-51abcb14e362.jpg
71e89722-5b15-4a8d-af6f-4b606f3b7721.jpg
bbf395a5-8714-4a55-b881-320a72ac10e9.jpg

dfe857ab-c270-49b6-8cbe-d71ceca612ee.jpg
955bc5c0-59c0-4af6-9f9f-1a909f329136.jpg
2c390d12-8bd4-470d-b1d1-0ceee890bca4.jpg

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I loved those Score mail-ins. I remember back when that product was out I thought that the set (1-10) mirrored the NFL draft 1-10. For example, I thought Dan Wilkinson was #1. I was so excited to have two Marshall Faulks. Only then I found out that I was wrong... had to buy the Faulk redemption from my LCS. I also had two Dilfers. I remember being very impressed with the condition of the cards when I received them. Razor sharp corners and edges - Score did a great job with them. I must have had about ten total.

In other news...

After having a saved search for over a year for this card, I finally found it. It had a starting bid of $4.99, but I asked the seller if he'd take it down. Instead he put a BIN on it. I panicked when I saw that he had messaged me he put a BIN on it because I had been away from the computer for a few hours. But it was still there. Thankfully the seller didn't even bother to put any player names in the title or description! What a fearsome foursome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261095306635?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Nope, but it also kinda depends what you mean. The 1996 Pinnacle CL for baseball unfortunately did not have an AP version.

But if you're talking about the 1995 w/ Bagwell, Thomas, Griffey, and Piazza, I do not have that. I don't even bother looking for it since there are so many people looking for it.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Nope, but it also kinda depends what you mean. The 1996 Pinnacle CL for baseball unfortunately did not have an AP version.

But if you're talking about the 1995 w/ Bagwell, Thomas, Griffey, and Piazza, I do not have that. I don't even bother looking for it since there are so many people looking for it.

The 95 is the one. It almost never shows up.

Loyalty32

Dec 7, 2008
These just arrived!

Thanks
Craig

-1998 Topps Stars Gold Rainbow #20 Dan Marino 64/99 $100.00
-1999 Leaf Certified Gold Team Mirror Black #13 Dan Marino 07/25 $200.00
-1999 Leaf Certified Skills Mirror Black #13 Dan Marino/Tim Couch 13/25 $150.00 (Jersey Number!)
-1999 SkyBox Molten Metal Perfect Fit Red #PF3 Dan Marino 05/25 $150.00
-2000 Leaf Certified Mirror Gold #127 Dan Marino 03/25 $100.00

DanMarino5CardLot.jpg

DanMarino5CardLotB.jpg

TonyH

Aug 9, 2008
Eastern Shore MD
Question for you experts.
I had a couple 1997 Pinnacle Inside cans laying around and decided to open them.
I pulled a Instant Win with John Elway pictured and the card was redeemable for an NFL prize.
Does this card have any value?
Thanks

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
I'd guess to a hard core Elway collector, maybe. It's like pulling a 2001 Bowman Chrome Redemption for Albert Pujols. You can't redeem it, so it's not "worth" that much, but to a collector of that player, it may be a "White Whale" of sorts, even if the prize isn't for an Elway card per se.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I'm still picking up these 1997 Score Reserve Collection cards when I can, but they sure are rare. They hardly ever hit ebay, and those that are listed are almost all from jaderock at max pricing.

This is my first superstar card - John Elway Checklist:

JohnElwayCLReserveCollection.jpg

Was in a poorly titled lot of 2 - he took it down for $10 dlvd:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221133537184?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Let me know if you have any for sale or trade!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Let's remember one of the crappiest card companies of all time, Collector's Edge. In 1995 Collector's Edge released the Excalibur set, which included the 22K Gold insert set - the gimmick being that the cards were stamped with actual gold leaf. How about we check out all of the confusing variations from that set?

95excal22k.jpg

Here's the regular 22K card. Okay that's a fine start. Not an unattractive design.

95excal22kprism.jpg

This is the Prisms parallel. It actually looks pretty cool in person, and also has the "prism" effect on the back of the card. The print run was 200 sets but it's not serial numbered. The dumb part is that it's not stamped with gold, so it's a 22K card without any 22K.

95excal22kgoldshieldsilver.jpg
95excal22kgoldshieldgold.jpg

Here we go. These are the Gold Shield Silver Prisms and Gold Shield Gold Prism cards. The only difference is a slight color variety in the prism coating, and the Silver is serial numbered /750 while the Gold is /250.

95excalssbronze22.jpg
95excalsssilver22.jpg
95excalssgold22.jpg
95excalssdiam22.jpg

Oh seriously screw you Collector's Edge. Sword and Stone Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Diamond - all extremely tough to find. Edge send out complete sets of base cards, the die cut parallel, and all inserts with these stamps, but I forget if you got them with an exchange card or through some kind of contest. I have a copy of the C.O.A. they sent with the Diamond set which indicates only 6 sets were produced. I've heard that the other 3 variations are limited between 10-25 or so. Of course they aren't serial numbered, but they are pretty tough to track down so I tend to believe those figures.

Finally...

95excal22kruby.jpg

??????????

I thought I was done with the set then whatever the hell THIS is popped up for sale. It's not listed by Beckett so I have no idea what it is, maybe somebody else knows? It's thick like a game-used card and has a regular foil-stamped crown with a "ruby" in it. No idea if it's an actual ruby but it's cloudy enough that it would be a cheap one. The back of the card is no different from the regular issue. Hell it's even possible somebody was bored and glued two 22K cards to a blank filler card, then put the little design on the front.

Richard

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Wow, that is a pretty cool card! I love those Prisms. I have an Andre Rison, but not sure about Jake Reed.

As far as Sword in Stone, there's a seller out there that bought up a bunch of Collector's Edge stuff at a bankrupcty auction or something similar and got complete sets of Sword in Stone. I got most of the Jake Reeds from him - I think I emailed you at the time, Richard. I can't remember if that seller's on Beckett Marketplace or what.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Wow, that is a pretty cool card! I love those Prisms. I have an Andre Rison, but not sure about Jake Reed.

As far as Sword in Stone, there's a seller out there that bought up a bunch of Collector's Edge stuff at a bankrupcty auction or something similar and got complete sets of Sword in Stone. I got most of the Jake Reeds from him - I think I emailed you at the time, Richard. I can't remember if that seller's on Beckett Marketplace or what.

Did you snag that Tony Gonzalez Reserve last night?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

Now that you mention it, I do remember you emailing me about those. I think I was down to just needing his 3 Gold S&S cards (base, die cut, 22K) at that time and swung a deal for those. I forget how much I paid but I know there was somebody that had all 3 on the Beckett marketplace for the longest while that wanted $25 each and I couldn't bring myself to pay $75 for the trio.

Oddly enough the Diamond versions were the first ones I found (in '98 or '99). Got the Bronzes and Silvers several years later, then the Golds a couple of years ago.

To add another wrinkle to collecting a player in the 1995 Excalibur set, Beckett recently added Gold parallels to its player checklists. The description of the set says they surfaced recently. What clearly happened was that somebody got some uncut sheets of the die cut parallel (which has gold foil on the front instead of the silver on the base card) and cut them up as a normal card without the die cut design. Really, that was worth adding to your checklist, Beckett? Eh I'm just complaining because I don't have the Dilfer.

Richard

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts